The NBPA held a call on June 8 where the players’ union discussed several proposed dates for the NBA schedule this summer.
Here are the tentative dates for the 2020 postseason, per Shams Charania:
- August 16-17: Play-in tournament(s)
- August 18: First round of playoffs begin
- September 1: Conference Semifinals begin
- September 15: Conference Finals begin
- September 30: NBA Finals begin
These dates fill in the summer schedule after already knowing that the eight “seeding games” will begin on July 31, while a potential Game 7 of the NBA Finals would take place Oct. 12.
If the newly-announced dates stay, there would likely be a back-to-back game for each team in the first round of the playoffs.
It looks like the play-in games could also have a back-to-back set if two games are required if the No. 9 team beats the No. 8 team in the first game.
There should be no more back-to-backs after the first round.