Pepu Hernandez will not lead Spain in Beijing

Pepu HernandezSpanish Basketball Federation will have to find a new head coach for the national team in a short period of time after Pepu Hernandez has been fired. He had problems with FEB (Spanish Basketball Federation) for some time but wasn't going to leave the team just before Olympics despite some misunderstandings between him and FEB.

Hernandez said he wanted to finish the job and has already announced he will be leaving after the Olympic Games.

Pepu Hernandez led Spain to World Championship title in 2006 and silver in Eurobasket 2007. Though he won't be on the bench in Beijing.

The decision to fire Pepu Hernandez was made by Spanish basketball supremo Jose Luis Saez.

“I have no personal problems with Pepu,” said Jose Luiz Saez.

“But he has used his position as national team coach to benefit himself without having the consent of the federation.”

>Hernandez didn't see any fault in his actions: “I feel calm because I haven´t committed any serious offense. If the problem was my announcement (decision to step down after the Olympics), I did it with time and in a correct manner.

“And if it´s due to the fact that I couldn´t attend last week´s meeting, I gave alternative times and dates to the federation."

Spanish Basketball Federation made an explanation why Pepu Hernandez has been fired:

“Having analysed the situation created in the aftermath of Jose Vicente Hernandez’s public statements of late, the Spanish Basketball Federation has decided that the national men’s coach will not remain in charge and the reasons are as follows:

1. Non-compliance from Pepu Hernandez of the contractual agreements.

2. A lack of respect to the FEB and to its executive members made in public without foundation while also stating accusations of “persecution” and “mistreatment”.

3. The poor working conditions created by the previous two points with less than two months to go before the national team competes in the most important sporting event (Beijing Games).

All of this has contributed to the deterioration which added to the strange circumstances already created on May 2 when a public and unilateral announcement of his decision to continue in charge until after the Olympics and it has inevitably led to the loss of trust needed to maintain the stability that the FEB has always tried to have with the 18 national teams and those who work with the teams.”

Jose Luis Saez said that Hernandez's successor is not found yet. Aito Garcia Reneses is rumoured to be the favourite to take over after he left Joventut.