The 2021-22 NBA Regular Season is underway, which means there are changes to a number of lineups around the league.
Let’s take a look at some notable names and their lineup situations so far.
- Memphis Grizzlies guards Desmond Bane & De’Anthony Melton are taking full advantage of playing starter minutes right now with Dillon Brooks injured. The two have combined to average 37.6 PPG in three games, making a big leap as scorers this season. Bane has jumped from 9.2 PPG to 19.3 PPG and Melton has increased from 9.1 PPG to 18.3 PPG.
- Minnesota’s Malik Beasley & Charlotte’s PJ Washington are playing less minutes to begin the 2021-22 season. Both started in a majority of their team’s games last year, but are now in bench roles. Beasley has gone from averaging 32.8 MPG/19.6 PPG/39.9% 3-PT to 22.7 MPG/6.7 PPG/16.7 % 3-PT and Washington has dropped from 30.5 MPG/12.9 PPG/38.6% 3-PT to 23.3 MPG/6.0 PPG/20.0% 3-PT.
- Young big men Bol Bol & Jalen Smith will again not have rotation spots this season. Denver’s Bol was the #44 pick back in 2019 and Phoenix’s Smith went top ten in 2020. Both players had impressive summer league outings in Las Vegas, as Bol finished 8th in BPG and Smith achieved 1st in rebounding.
- 2018 #2 pick Marvin Bagley is out of the rotation for the Sacramento Kings and his agent isn’t too happy about it. Bagley’s agent Jeff Schwartz tweeted out that he’s baffled about the way the Kings are handling the 22-year-old. According to Schwartz, Sacramento passed on potential trades during the 2021 trade deadline and NBA offseason based on Bagley’s value, but now aren’t playing him. He’s only appeared in one game so far out of three, logging 10 minutes vs. Utah on October 22nd.
- After starting in the season opener, Toronto’s Goran Dragic has come off the bench during the last three games, being replaced by Gary Trent Jr. Through four games, the former All Star is only averaging 6.0 PPG on 31.8% shooting from the field in 15.5 MPG. For a team like the Raptors who have made it known they’re trying to trade Dragic, the veteran is definitely hurting his trade value at the moment.