FC Barcelona released a clarification following the reports that Thomas Heurtel was left behind in Istanbul and did not travel back to Spain with the team after the EuroLeague game between Anadolu Efes and Barca.
According to the statement, Heurtel was given a hotel accommodation and a return ticket for the next day as he was not practicing with the team. The French point guard and FC Barcelona continue their negotiations on mutual termination of the contract.
Per FC Barcelona:
1. On Sunday, the day the team faced Joventut de Badalona, with the club and the player deciding that he should not play the match to avoid a possible injury, in the face of an imminent mutual contract termination agreement.
2. On Monday, the club allowed the player, who was not called up for the match against Anadolu Efes, to travel with the team to Istanbul to solve his professional future, as he and his representative requested.
3. On Tuesday, the player asked the club for permission to work parallel to the team during this trip and to be able to resolve his professional future.
4. On Tuesday at noon, the club and the player’s agent break off negotiations and agree to continue talking. Given the situation generated by this breakdown of negotiations, and not being under the discipline of the team in this match, it was decided that the player wouldn’t return with the group. The player was not neglected in any case and was given all the facilities – hotel for the night, regular flight ticket and all the relevant documentation – to be able to travel and return to Barcelona the next day.
5. Finally, the club would like to announce that Thomas Heurtel still currently belongs to FC Barcelona, whilst waiting to be able to solve his future in the coming days.