TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: 2009 Summer signings and rumours
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
i think this turkoglou rumor escalated somehow from forum posts with no realistic background

i want calathes in pao and i am excited about this transfer. If he is worth it, calathes will be getting more playtime than he probably expects, obradovic is well known to give chances to young guys he believes in. i hope these rumors about him wanting to leave is pure bs
[quote name='Panathinaikos' post='17288' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:34 AM']I didn't double post. Explain yourself.[/quote]

You posted the exact same posts bout Calathes both in Euroleague and Greek sections, twice...

Relax... it's just Calathes... not Galis.
[quote name='Black Urum' post='17292' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:40 AM']You posted the exact same posts bout Calathes both in Euroleague and Greek sections, twice...

Relax... it's just Calathes... not Galis.[/quote]

So I did what wrong exactly? Is he not related to both Euroleague and Greek signings?
[quote name='suricata' post='17291' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:39 AM']i think this turkoglou rumor escalated somehow from forum posts with no realistic background

i want calathes in pao and i am excited about this transfer. If he is worth it, calathes will be getting more playtime than he probably expects, obradovic is well known to give chances to young guys he believes in. i hope these rumors about him wanting to leave is pure bs[/quote]

Well to be realistic about it, I see about 5 minutes per game for him in the Euroleague and maybe 15-20 minutes per game for him in the Greek League, that is regular season of Greek League and probably also non derby games.

That is I mean, if Saras re-signs. Obviously, there is limited playing time for him. And what he has going against him is that he's horrible on defense. Even Saras is often benched and gets little playing time under Obradovic because of lack of defense. So I could see to be honest about it why Calathes might be worried about it. Money wise though, PAO is by far his best option.
nicholas wasn't infamous for his defence either. imo it all comes down to the will and motivation of a player. if he has it, he's gonna get the chances and i think saras will gladly give him some room too. of course he will not be playing 25', that is unrealistic in pao. even pekovic plays less than 20'. He should get an avg of 10-12 in the first year and that is just fine if given corerclty. if he expected anything else, he was unrealistic to begin with
[quote name='suricata' post='17298' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:56 AM']nicholas wasn't infamous for his defence either. imo it all comes down to the will and motivation of a player. if he has it, he's gonna get the chances and i think saras will gladly give him some room too. of course he will not be playing 25', that is unrealistic in pao. even pekovic plays less than 20'. He should get an avg of 10-12 in the first year and that is just fine if given corerclty. if he expected anything else, he was unrealistic to begin with[/quote]

I do not know if ESPN is making it up, but they are saying 2 NBA teams told him they would draft him in the first round and give him 20 minutes as a rookie. He was told by PAO that he would average about 8-10 for the year. Thus, he changed his mind and has been asking PAO to let him out of his contract.
Well, does anybody believe that Calathes will play more than 5-10 min? I doubt even the fact that he will play! Diamantidis, Saras, Spanoulis, Nicholas, Tepic, Calathes and maybe Chatzivrettas only for 2(!!!!) positions ! Who's gonna get more than 15 min except for Span, Diamantidis, and Nicholas? Calathes should have realized that he is a back up to the first team and nothing more than a promising Guard for the future.

It's more than obvious! He's gonna play (if he stays) no more than 5-10 min and not in every game. Panathinaikos has done similar mistakes in the past in the squad management. They sign players in order that their opponents won't sign them (Spanoulis-2006, Saras-2007 and probably Calathes-2009!!!!). It's difficult to manage this squad. Of course, Zeljco has proven skills on this matter!! But this year he has a lot of work to do...

Olympiakos intrested in Zisis. Soon they'll make their move for him!
[quote name='Freddito' post='17307' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:33 AM']Well, does anybody believe that Calathes will play more than 5-10 min? I doubt even the fact that he will play! Diamantidis, Saras, Spanoulis, Nicholas, Tepic, Calathes and maybe Chatzivrettas only for 2(!!!!) positions ! Who's gonna get more than 15 min except for Span, Diamantidis, and Nicholas? Calathes should have realized that he is a back up to the first team and nothing more than a promising Guard for the future.

...[/quote]

It’s better for him to go back in USA… He doesn’t have a chance for more than 5 min/per game.

I must disagree about combinations of those players on TWO positions. During last two years, Zeljko often had three “small” players on court. If you look average minutes for last year, you’ll see that sum for those minutes is over 100.

That is because they often had Dimitris, Spanulis and Nicholas on court, for example.

And I’m telling you – Tepic will do it just fine in Pao, he is unbelievable defensive player, and have much sense for play organization…
all those players are actually for 3 positions since not only pao plays with "small" lineups more than often, but tepic and nicholas (even diam and calathes) can play at SF. Hatzivrettas will most likely have the role that alvertis had last season. So it is actually Diam, Spanoulis, Saras, Calathes, Nicholas, Tepic for 3 positions (in specific lineups). I believe Calathes will be getting 10' in easy games in the beginning and then maybe the same in more difficult matches.

Let's see how this matter progresses

btw saras has not renewed yet
Krepsinis.net quotes French media saying that Mindaugas Lukauskis is wanted by Asvel and that Petravicius has not accepted their offer yet because he wants to sign with Pamesa.

They also report that Olympiacos offered Anthony Parker worth 5 million euros per year. The length of the contract is not mentioned. Parker himself admitted the interest of Oly.
Nick is doing wisely IMHO. no room for him in PAO.
[quote name='Vilius' post='17312' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:28 PM']Krepsinis.net quotes French media saying that Mindaugas Lukauskis is wanted by Asvel and that Petravicius has not accepted their offer yet because he wants to sign with Pamesa.

They also report that Olympiacos offered Anthony Parker worth 5 million euros per year. The length of the contract is not mentioned. Parker himself admitted the interest of Oly.[/quote]

I mean 5 million for Hedo is one thing, but 5 million for Parker? So they could have 10 million per year for just Childress and Parker and they are both what you would consider average at best NBA players. What is wrong with Olympiacos? Can they not sign either an actual good NBA player or an actual great Euroleague player for 5 million euros a year? This is crazy. Parker is practically a washed up player and 5 million for him?
[quote name='Panathinaikos' post='17314' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:57 PM']I mean 5 million for Hedo is one thing, but 5 million for Parker? So they could have 10 million per year for just Childress and Parker and they are both what you would consider average at best NBA players. What is wrong with Olympiacos? Can they not sign either an actual good NBA player or an actual great Euroleague player for 5 million euros a year? This is crazy. Parker is practically a washed up player and 5 million for him?[/quote]

There is always a chance that the size of the contract rumoured is not correct. Olympiacos like to make 'big' signings though they are big because of the size of the contract and not because of the quality of the player.
give 5mil to cska, and get siska for 2,5 per year
[quote name='suricata' post='17309' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:56 AM']all those players are actually for 3 positions since not only pao plays with "small" lineups more than often, but tepic and nicholas (even diam and calathes) can play at SF. Hatzivrettas will most likely have the role that alvertis had last season. So it is actually Diam, Spanoulis, Saras, Calathes, Nicholas, Tepic for 3 positions (in specific lineups). I believe Calathes will be getting 10' in easy games in the beginning and then maybe the same in more difficult matches.

Let's see how this matter progresses

btw saras has not renewed yet[/quote]

So if Saras renews what would be for Calathes then?

PG Spanoulis/Saras/Calathes

SG Nicholas/Diamantidis/Calathes

SF Perperoglou/Tepic/Hatzivrettas

or

PG Diamantidis/Saras/Calathes

SG Spanoulis/Nicholas/Calathes

SF Tepic/Perperoglou/Hatzivrettas

or

PG Saras/Tepic/Calathes

SG Spanoulis/Nicholas/Calathes

SF Diamantidis/Perperoglou/Hatzivrettas

or............I am trying to think of all the combinations and I know there are more still but it looks like Nick made a mistake. I wonder if he was told Saras was leaving before he signed?
[quote name='suricata' post='17318' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:03 PM']give 5mil to cska, and get siska for 2,5 per year[/quote]

Exactly. They could decent players for that price.

Basketnews.lt reports that Pamesa wants Jeremiah Massey. So until his future is clear the deal with Petravicius will not be signed.
[quote name='suricata' post='17318' date='Jun 22 2009, 02:03 PM']give 5mil to cska, and get siska for 2,5 per year[/quote]

I guess some of us should apply for Olympiacos manager position. I am sure we can build a much better club when we have 5 million a season to spend on each big summer signing.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' post='17319' date='Jun 22 2009, 03:03 PM']or............I am trying to think of all the combinations and I know there are more still but it looks like Nick made a mistake. I wonder if he was told Saras was leaving before he signed?[/quote]

It could be the case. Saras still haven't signed a new deal with PAO. One day reports say that he almost agreed terms, the next day it is the opposite. Probably the situation was different at the end of the season and Calathes was signed as a replacement.

He had rather signed with a lower profile team where he would have a leading role. That way he could attract the interest of NBA teams easier. But he wouldn't be able to a contract that he got in Panathinaikos. Also the chances of winning titles would decrease.
[quote name='suricata' post='17309' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:56 PM']all those players are actually for 3 positions since not only pao plays with "small" lineups more than often, but tepic and nicholas (even diam and calathes) can play at SF. Hatzivrettas will most likely have the role that alvertis had last season. So it is actually Diam, Spanoulis, Saras, Calathes, Nicholas, Tepic for 3 positions (in specific lineups).[/quote]

That is what I m talking about. If you look at the Panathinaikos roster they only have Peperoglu on position 3, and he cant have more than 15-20 minutes.

Btw. I have one question for you guys:

Can you tell me some wage for coaches in Euro league/cup? Especially some medium level teams, like Spahija in Pamesa, Pier L. Bucchi (Milano) …
as i said, let's just wait and see what happens. We don't even know if what espn says is true
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38