SEF falls to Fenerbahce

After twenty games and over two years since Olympiacos lost at home, but unlike the last loss to Le Mans, this one could actually cost them dearly. Marko Tomas was the go-to-guy for the Turkish side who were masterfully coached by Spahija and thanks to good shooting percentages escaped with the win.

The game start was balanced with both teams handing the lead to over to each other with Fenerbahce leading 4-5. Then the Turkish team stepped up their game and with two back-to-back threepointers pulled away, 5-12. From then on the game became too nervous and Olympiacos took advantage by pulling back and took charge again with a Teodosic threepointer, 13-12. The game was at 16 all when in the last offense Teodosic missed the shot, but Erceg grabbed the board and with a layup put The Reds in the driver’s seat 18-16.

The Greek side started off the second half in fashion and taking advantage of Lavrinovic’ third foul created a small difference, 22-16. Nonetheless Fenerbahce returned and with Ukic scoring one free throw cut the difference to its minimum, 24-23. Then it was Lavrinovic’ turn to shie and after blocking Nielsen he scored a threepointer and won a free throw, which he converted for 24-27. The hosts established their biggest lead after Papaloukas got trapped at half court and turned over the ball to Tomas who made the score 26-33. But that was it for the Turkish champions who couldn’t score another point and Olympiacos tied the game at 33-33 before half time.

At the start of second half Tomas became the first player to reach double digits in scoring and made the score 36-39 with an and1 action. Then it was time for Peker to “steal the show” after fouling Teodosic and receiving a technical foul, getting fouled out. Olympiacos tried to push with Spanoulis and got in front by a point, 43-42. Minutes later Halperin did the same from the corner behind the arc, 53-51. Still Fenerbahce had the last word and the third quarter ended with them in the lead thanks to Ukic, 58-55.

In the beginning of last quarter Sean May was the X factor and with some decisive points and rebounds kept Fenerbahce in front, 63-64. Half way in the quarter Onan gave the first real lead to his team, 65-69. Seconds later Sarunas Jasikevicius, in his 27th game against Olympiacos, silenced the court behind the arc to make it 65-73.

With Olympiacos unable to score for over three minutes, Fenerbahce established their first double digits difference thanks to an offensive rebound and basket by Preldzic, 65-75. Papaloukas was left to fight all alone, but he was simply not enough and the Turkish  team regained the ten points difference, 70-80. The game was over at that time and Fenerbahce got the chance to spread the difference to fourteen, 70-84 final score.