The Indiana Pacers have started their coaching search with a wide-ranging list including San Antonio Spurs assistant Becky Hammon.
Along with Hammon, former Memphis Grizzlies and Sacramento Kings coach Dave Joerger are among more than a dozen candidates expected to participate in the first round of virtual interviews.
The Pacers fired Nate McMillan after getting swept in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs in back-to-back years.
The 14 candidates include the following:
- Spurs assistant Becky Hammon
- Former Grizzlies and Kings coach Dave Joerger
- Minnesota Timberwolves associate head coach David Vanterpool
- Brooklyn Nets associate head coach Jacque Vaughn
- Portland Trail Blazers associate head coach Nate Tibbetts
- Spurs assistant Will Hardy
- Miami Heat assistants Dan Craig and Chris Quinn
- Dallas Mavericks assistants Jamahl Mosley and Stephen Silas
- Milwaukee Bucks assistants Darvin Ham and Charles Lee
- Philadelphia 76ers assistant Ime Udoka
- Orlando Magic assistant Pat Delany
Joerger and Vaughn are the only coaches on the list with previous head coaching experience.
Some of these candidates have been also linked to other head coaching vacancies around the NBA.
Vanterpool, Craig, Mosley, Silas, Ham and Udoka are expected to interview for the Chicago Bulls job, with Ham and Udoka also being mentioned as possible 76ers’ candidates.
Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard previously spoke about wanting to hire a coach who takes a “modern approach” to today’s NBA and who can connect better with younger players.