Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day 1: Group A
Sunday, August 10

Russia vs Iran 9:00 Local Time 2:00 GMT

Lithuania vs Argentina 16:45 Local Time 9:45 GMT

Australia vs Croatia 20:00 Local Time 13:00 GMT

I think the winner is clear only in the first game. Russians shouldn't have too much troubles defeating Iran.

The second game which potentially be group winner decider is much more difficult to predict. Argentina are defending champions but they didn't show any good signs in their preparation games. Neither did Lithuania. But we defeated them by around 20 points in Spain last month. Argentina looked very poor then and were behind by 30 at some points. Last two games for Lithuania (against USA and Turkey) were far from good. I have faith in my team so I predict Lithuania to win this one.

I wasn't considering Australia so high but their recent games showed how much this team can do. They lost to Argentina only in the end. Aussies had a comfortable lead early in the game before Bogut got injured. They also had a good game against USA. On the other hand Croatia have been together for a longer time this summer and they will surely try to do as good as possible to mark their return to the Olympic Games. This is a tough one but I will go with Croatia.
Although I'd like Iran to give Russians some problems, I think Russia will win this one in a somewhat easy manner. Lithuania vs Argentina is a bit unpredictable, but I'm with the Liths on this one. Australia can become the tournament's surprise and I think they will start with Croatia.
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Congrats to Russians, but also to Iranians. I really liked their attitude, not giving up even if down by almost 20. Sportsmanship is on their side too.
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Russia 71:49 Iran

Lithuania 79:75 Argentina

Australia 82:97 Croatia

Wow what a game to start Olympics with! The game started with a very solid defense from both teams. I was pleasantly surprised with kind of defensive performance from Lithuania as usually we are not so strong in that part of the game. Players on both teams were nervous and the score was growing slowly. Although we stayed in control for most of the time but the gap never grew to at least 10 points except 4th quarter. We were only 1/10 from the 3pt zone in the first half but improved seriously in the second. Lithuania had 12 point lead in the 4th quarter and it looked like Argentina could let this go. But they didn't. They are defending champions and they showed why. Ginobili made some very tough shots. The score was tied in the last couple of minutes. During the last mintue of the game both teams exchanged missed shots and either could have ended with a win in their pocket. But Linas Kleiza had other plans in his mind. He hit an open 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds to go. Argentina made a turnover and fouled with 1.5 secs remaining till the final whistle. Siskauskas hit 1 of 2 free-throws to seal the win.

We always start competitions slowly. So from that point of view there was nothing surprising. It would be naive to expect an easy game like we had in a friendly against Argies. I really liked our defense today. Players didn't lose concentration when they could hit their shots but simply worked hard in not letting their opponents to score.

Rimantas Kaukenas and Ramunas Siskauskas were far from their usual performances. I hope this will change as the competition goes. Darjus Lavrinovic was kept on the bench for the whole game so as Jonas Maciulis and Marius Prekevicius.

As for Argentina, they need more players that could come off the bench help the team. Today they mainly used 6 players (Oberto, Scola, Nocioni, Ginobili, Prigioni and Delfino coming off the bench). Gonzalez, Quinteros got some minutes but they did almost nothing on the offensive end. This could hurt the team in the crucial games.

Now Russia - Iran. European champs didn't work too hard in this game. The gap between the two teams is too obvious. Russians were really calm and didn't run the game much. They were in control for the whole game.

I didn't see Australia - Croatia. But I made the right prediction though. I always get them wrong so I am quite happy.
The shot of Linas Kleiza. It was actually 4 seconds on the clock.

[center][y]PUgzP-SGOSU[/y][/center]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Day 3: Group B TalkBasket 5 4,281 Aug 15, 2008, 7:49 pm
Last Post: Straight Faced
  Day 3: Group A TalkBasket 2 2,938 Aug 14, 2008, 12:35 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Day 2: Group B TalkBasket 4 3,618 Aug 13, 2008, 11:58 am
Last Post: chad
  Day 2: Group A TalkBasket 7 4,864 Aug 13, 2008, 10:33 am
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Day 1: Group B TalkBasket 10 5,741 Aug 11, 2008, 6:18 pm