Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase your vertical
Well since you can already touch the rim, that means you're pretty close to dunking, and likely need just a few more inches to seal the deal.

One way you can go about it is simply to maximize your vertical through some standard jump training, such as with plyometric and weight training exercises. Not sure how much you've used either of these types of exercises, but I can bet you've used both to some degree, considering your vertical seems already kinda high. I can't really vouch for how much you'll benefit from just creating your training regimen, since your current approach (which is likely to just bootstrap it) so far doesn't seem to be working.

I'd personally recommend looking into getting a jump program of some sort to help you get those few inches. First, read up on how to jump training works to actually tell good programs apart from bad ones. Then read a few reviews to get an idea of which program to aim for. Two programs that seem relatively good in terms of the results they get and the time it takes to complete them is Vert Shock and The Jump Manual, at least going by what most in the vertical jump community say.

Again, read multiple sources to gauge which is going to be the better option for you (here's a good article you can check out that compares the two. Aside from that, I'd recommend that you actually spend time practicing and sharpening your dunking technique. You might not think this is important, but a guy like Jordan Kilganon, a professional dunker, has actually done much the same thing. He would practice on a shorter rim to focus strictly on his technique and later moved on to regulation height rims. 

So if you feel there's something you can do to improve your technique, by all means, go for you. You can refer to this page on learning how to dunk to see if there are any tips or pieces of advice you can implement.

Messages In This Thread
Increase your vertical - by Frede - Jan 23, 2013, 9:25 am
thepiratebays.se - by IKone152 - Dec 23, 2016, 3:18 pm
RE: Increase your vertical - by lexi090 - Aug 6, 2017, 7:31 am
RE: Increase your vertical - by Unbeatable Hoops - Apr 19, 2020, 11:21 pm
RE: Increase your vertical - by Unbeatable Hoops - May 6, 2020, 9:19 pm
RE: Increase your vertical - by gabeball - Nov 27, 2020, 8:47 pm
Increase your vertical - by dennis40voz - Jan 30, 2013, 4:57 pm
Increase your vertical - by CoachSteve - Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 pm
Increase your vertical - by wattsonstefen - Apr 2, 2013, 7:30 am
Increase your vertical - by young_baller - Apr 9, 2013, 11:46 am
Increase your vertical - by young_baller - Apr 9, 2013, 11:47 am