Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alba Berlin 141-127 Bosna!!! A whole bunch or new records!!!
Since the start of this ULEB Cup season, Alba Berlin has filled the streets, transportation stations, restaurants and bars of Germany's capital with thousands of posters and cards that all carry the same slogan: "Life is too short to be boring!" Wherever Berliners have gathered the last month or more, Alba's advertising campagin has promised them basketball excitement. As if to prove the point, Alba played host on Tuesday to one of the most spectacular games ever played at so high an international level. Alba and KK Bosna tipped off their Group A game at 19:30 local time. When the final buzzer sounded some 3 hours and 4 minutes later, after a record 5 overtimes, Alba had won 141-127 in the highest-scoring game in ULEB Cup history!

[Image: photo]

A sell-out crowd of 5,200 fans at Max Schmeling Hall witnessed one thrill after another, not to mention 12 new teams records and one for individual players, that last broken by three different Alba stars! It was the first five-overtime game ever in the ULEB Cup. Alba and Bosna together destroyed the total-points record, too, and each broke the single-game scoring record by one team.

Most remarkably, Alba and Bosna scored an astounding 126 points together in the overtime periods alone. It had looked like a normal game when Bobby Brown of Alba made free throws to tie the game at 71-71 at the end of regulation time. But fans would see almost as many points in the ovttime until Goran Nikolic, who played a record 63 minutes, 40 seconds, had 5 points in a 9-0 run that allowed Alba to seal the victory!

Quote:"I could cry when I think about how many parts of my body are aching,"

Nikolic said after.

Quote:"I feel so weak, but nevertheless I am only happy that we have won this game."

How does it feel to have played in the longest and highest scoring game in ULEB Cup history? Guard Julius Jenkins offered his insight after scoring 33 points, 4 rebounds and 7 assists in 60 minutes of Alba Berlin's 147-127 victory over KK Bosna in five overtimes.

[Image: 58f.jpg]

Quote:"I was tired last night but I felt so good inside. Winning the game helps get over the tiredness. If you lose a game like that, your mind's all messed up,"

said Jenkins, who fouled out with three minutes left in the fifth extra session.

Quote:"I never thought we would lose the game. We just stayed focused even though everyone was fatigued. I knew we would pull it out."

[Image: 58f.jpg]

He added:

Quote:"Nobody ever gave up and this was like a playoff game. And it will prepare us for later down the road, knowing the guys will still be there in the end."

Jenkins said he was especially impressed with Alba's rookie guard Bobby Brown, who scored 44 points including two foul shots to force the first and fifth overtimes and a three-pointer to send the game into a fourth extra session.

Quote:"He was so big stepping up. Me and him said if we have to both score 40 points to win this, then that's what we'll do. And in the end, Bobby just took matters into his own hands,"

Jenkins said.

An American veteran of two past ULEB Cup seasons, Jenkins admitted that he felt bad about not finishing the game.

Quote:"I felt really bad when I got that fifth foul. But I talked to Bobby and had confidence in him. Once I saw him hit a three-pointer after I fouled out (for a 127-124 lead), I knew he'd bring it home."

About Berlin hitting 46-of-51 (90%) free throws, Jenkins added:

Quote:"That comes from hard work starting in pre-season and drilled every day. You just go to the line focused and knock them down. Those are the easy points."
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

ULEB CUP RECORD (TEAM)

Record - Total - Previous

Minutes played / OT - 65/5 - 55/3

Points scored, total - 268 - 231

Points scored, one team - 127/141 - 121

2P attempts, total - 120 - 111

2P attempts, 1 team - 59/61 - 59

FT attempts (BOS) - 61 - 52

FT made (BOS) - 47 - 41

Total rebounds (BER) - 61 - 53

Def. rebounds (BER) - 46 - 44

OT points, total - 121 - 73

OT points, one team - 70/56 - 37

3P attempts, total - 64 - 55

ULEB CUP RECORD (INDIVIDUAL)

Record - Total - Previous

Minutes played, Goran Nikolic (BER) - 63:40 - 55:00

Minutes played, Bobby Brown (BER) - 60:09 - 55:00

Minutes played, Julius Jenkins (BER) - 59:24 - 55:00
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

I can't think of any other game in Europe that had 5 overtimes. I can only imagine how tired the players felt after the game. It would a lot of time untill those records are broken, of course only if they are to be broken at all. It should have been a nightmare for TV that broadcasted the game because TV's have their schedules strictly planned but the game just doesn't finish.