TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Jonas Valančiūnas thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I think that he'll need to play two or three more seasons in the Euroleague. He should stay with Rytas and develop into an even better bigman. He could move to a stronger competition and develop there but I don't think that he'll play a lot for a top team in one of the top competitions.
He's becoming better very fast. Compared to last season's him, he isn't that skinny guy. He put some muscles but he still needs to get some weight and then - sky is the limit...but I don't like only one thing...he is one of the best free throw shooter in whole Euroleague and makes almost all of them all the time but he just don't attempt shots from midrange...
(Mar 11, 2011, 10:14 pm)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]He's becoming better very fast. Compared to last season's him, he isn't that skinny guy. He put some muscles but he still needs to get some weight and then - sky is the limit...but I don't like only one thing...he is one of the best free throw shooter in whole Euroleague and makes almost all of them all the time but he just don't attempt shots from midrange...

Contrary to you, I love it! It means he won't become another European big who throws bricks from downtown Cool He is obviously pure low post player and I like it very much. Especially having Kleiza, Motiejunas and Jankunas around him, and these are crazy about outside shooting.
(Mar 12, 2011, 12:38 am)straight forward Wrote: [ -> ]Contrary to you, I love it! It means he won't become another European big who throws bricks from downtown Cool He is obviously pure low post player and I like it very much. Especially having Kleiza, Motiejunas and Jankunas around him, and these are crazy about outside shooting.

Yeah, that's not bad but if player want to play in highest level he should become more versatile. If he can make, hell, why don't shoot it?
(Mar 12, 2011, 11:55 am)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that's not bad but if player want to play in highest level he should become more versatile. If he can make, hell, why don't shoot it?

Like straight forward said, Jonas will be a pure low post player and that would be very good. There are already so much bigmen that shoot the from three. Jonas can make shots from midrange but he's more comfortable when he scores in the paint and there he has more succes.
(Mar 15, 2011, 11:20 pm)Kenneth23 Wrote: [ -> ]Like straight forward said, Jonas will be a pure low post player and that would be very good. There are already so much bigmen that shoot the from three. Jonas can make shots from midrange but he's more comfortable when he scores in the paint and there he has more succes.

Are we from different worlds? Doesn't versatility give you many pluses?
(Mar 16, 2011, 3:26 pm)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]Are we from different worlds? Doesn't versatility give you many pluses?

Depends. If you as versatile as Sabonis or Pau Gasol, Ch. Bosh, so please be it and develop it. No question. But when versatility means suffering in some aspects of the game (like weak presence in the paint), than you should probably stick too you natural position. Lastly, when we talk about Valanciunas, midrage jumpers are obviously not his cup of coffee. The fact that he's a great FT shooter doesn't mean that he could be a great shooter or he should be.
(Mar 16, 2011, 8:27 pm)straight forward Wrote: [ -> ]Depends. If you as versatile as Sabonis or Pau Gasol, Ch. Bosh, so please be it and develop it. No question. But when versatility means suffering in some aspects of the game (like weak presence in the paint), than you should probably stick too you natural position. Lastly, when we talk about Valanciunas, midrage jumpers are obviously not his cup of coffee. The fact that he's a great FT shooter doesn't mean that he could be a great shooter or he should be.

I totally agree with you. If he's versatile as Sabonis, Gasol, etc. it's good. But I think that it's better for him to be a low post player because his real strenght lays there
If he can't play in other places of the court except the paint then how he could become superstar? No chance. If he wants to be among the best, he needs to do everything, otherwise he won't become one of the greatest players what we have seen. Oh well, maybe I just expect much more from him than you do...if you are alright with him being just a NBA club's role player, okay then.
You know what I miss guys? The "true"center. Does everyone miss that? Remember Sabonis, Hakeem "the dream" Olaujwan, young Shaq, David Robinson and many more?? I miss the center that is 7ft tall could dominate the low post with power and nice moves and pass out to the perimeter. Do you really remember Sabonis?. My point is being versatile is ok but first be good at one skill then later develop others. The old style of centers is gone except Dwhight Howard.. The world is ready for a dominate big man who can make his presence known in the paint. Dirk, Bosch, Garnett forget about them give me Sabonis, Ewing, Olajuwan anyday! 1st master low post scoring, rebounding, passing and DEFENSE. The world needs more strong big men it would be good if he comes from Lietuva!
(Mar 17, 2011, 12:33 am)Raze Lupin Wrote: [ -> ]You know what I miss guys? The "true"center. Does everyone miss that? Remember Sabonis, Hakeem "the dream" Olaujwan, hound Shaq, David Robinson and many more?? I miss the center that is 7ft tall could dominate the low post with power and nice moves and pass out to the perimeter. Do you really remember ?. My point is being versatile is ok but first be good at one skill then later develop others. The old style of centers is gone except Dwhight Howard.. The world is ready for a dominate big man who can make his presence known in the paint. Dirk, Bosch, Garnett forget about them give me Sabonis, Ewing, Olajuwan anyday! 1st master low post scoring, rebounding, passing. The world needs more strong big men it would be good if he comes from Lietuva!

I totally agree with you Raze Lupin. I think Valanciunas could become very great "true" center.
But being versatile is big plus anyway. And why do you think there are no "true" centers these times? Because versatility comes ahead of that...want real center? NBA teams should buy Vraneš who currently plays in Unics.
(Mar 17, 2011, 2:20 pm)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]But being versatile is big plus anyway. And why do you think there are no "true" centers these times? Because versatility comes ahead of that...want real center? NBA teams should buy Vraneš who currently plays in Unics.

Vranes isn't the best player there is, but he has his value on defense and intimidate players. Being versatile is good but not every player is versatile. It's like Raze Lupin said, it's time the "true" centers return. If you have bigmen who always look for their own shot from midrange or the threepoint line, than who's going to take an offensive rebound? With a true center you always have man under the boards. If Valanciunas can shoot from midrange he may do it but not all the time. He's real strenght is playing in the post.
Come on Sagenas. Not all superstars are versatile. Far from that.
(Mar 17, 2011, 3:37 pm)Kenneth23 Wrote: [ -> ]Vranes isn't the best player there is, but he has his value on defense and intimidate players. Being versatile is good but not every player is versatile. It's like Raze Lupin said, it's time the "true" centers return. If you have bigmen who always look for their own shot from midrange or the threepoint line, than who's going to take an offensive rebound? With a true center you always have man under the boards. If Valanciunas can shoot from midrange he may do it but not all the time. He's real strenght is playing in the post.

But if he can't shoot from midrange, they opponents will know who to guard and for other players it's much harder to attack the basket. Smile

Straight forward, all SUPERstars are versatile but not all of them are very versatile. Ok, I we won't count Howard, how many superstars you could name who aren't versatile?
(Mar 18, 2011, 1:54 pm)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]But if he can't shoot from midrange, they opponents will know who to guard and for other players it's much harder to attack the basket. Smile

Straight forward, all SUPERstars are versatile but not all of them are very versatile. Ok, I we won't count Howard, how many superstars you could name who aren't versatile?

Plenty. Let's look at centers while we are talking about Jonas. The best centers in Euroleague (used to be, now they are in NBA) - T. Splitter and Pekovic. None of them used to shoot from distance. Now NBA - Howard, Bynum, Bogut, Nene, Amare, Shaq. Are these players are really versatile? The most dominant centers like Howard, Shaq, Bynum, even Ming (he has midjumper though) are not versatile at all. They are super stars because they are dominant under the boards and in the post.

And with other positions I could name a lot as well.

Lastly, all that "versatile" thing in Europe (except few exceptions like DD, Šiška or Kleiza) are becoming the real market of mediocre players like Jagla and plenty other weak power forwards mostly. Even these strong versatile European players like brothers Lavrinovič appear to be too weak athletes against NBA players. The same goes with guards. I can't see any super stars combo guards in Euroleague at the moment. Maybe NBA is exception with Rose kinda players.

I know one thing. Stockton was a great (maybe the greatest) pure PG. M.J was the greatest pure shooting guard ever, Shaq or Chamberlain as the best centers ever.
(Mar 18, 2011, 1:54 pm)Sagenas Wrote: [ -> ]But if he can't shoot from midrange, they opponents will know who to guard and for other players it's much harder to attack the basket. Smile

Sagenas and everyone in any discussion it is best to define terms so there is no confusion. In this situation versatile is being used to describe both position and player skills. There needs to be a distinction. If you mean "versatile skills" then yes he needs a mid range jumper like Patrick Ewing and the great Sabonis. What is more important is to 1st develop strong post moves like Sabonis and Olajuwan. This makes him a "true" or pure center. It you are talking about "versatile" as in "position" then would you like him to be like Dirk Norwitzki who can play shooting forward, power forward and center? If you say "versitile skills" I agree if you say "versatile position" then no. I like my centers to own the paint. So here is the question with these lists of SUPERstars and stars. Which list would every like to see Valančiūnas in??

Group 1: Would you like to see Jonas Valančiūnas in this list "true center"?:

Wilt Chamberlin, Arvydas Sabonis, Patrick Ewing,Dwight Howard, Hakeem Olajuwan, Shaquille O'neal, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Yao Ming, David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Nikola Peckovic, Nenad Krstic, Chris Dudley, Bill Wennington, Bill Cartwright, Vlade Divac etc..

Group 2: Would you like to see Jonas Valančiūnas in this list?

Bill Russell(Wilt Chamberlins nemesis), Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Norwitzki, A'mare Stoudmire, Lamar Odom,Tiago Splitter, Luis Scola, Chris Bosch etc...

My pick is group 1. What group does everyone else choose?
(Mar 18, 2011, 5:39 pm)straight forward Wrote: [ -> ]Plenty. Let's look at centers while we are talking about Jonas. The best centers in Euroleague (used to be, now they are in NBA) - T. Splitter and Pekovic. None of them used to shoot from distance. Now NBA - Howard, Bynum, Bogut, Nene, Amare, Shaq. Are these players are really versatile? The most dominant centers like Howard, Shaq, Bynum, even Ming (he has midjumper though) are not versatile at all. They are super stars because they are dominant under the boards and in the post.

And with other positions I could name a lot as well.

Lastly, all that "versatile" thing in Europe (except few exceptions like DD, Šiška or Kleiza) are becoming the real market of mediocre players like Jagla and plenty other weak power forwards mostly. Even these strong versatile European players like brothers Lavrinovič appear to be too weak athletes against NBA players. The same goes with guards. I can't see any super stars combo guards in Euroleague at the moment. Maybe NBA is exception with Rose kinda players.

I know one thing. Stockton was a great (maybe the greatest) pure PG. M.J was the greatest pure shooting guard ever, Shaq or Chamberlain as the best centers ever.

Euroleague has no superstars. And how the hell you can see Bynum, Bogut, Nene and Shaq as SUPERSTAR? Star...maybe, but far away from being superstar. Shaq's best years past and years ago all NBA play different basketball. While Amare is very verstatile compared from those other who you mentioned.

What versatility you can see in Jagla, Lavrinovičs and players like that? Rolleyes

Raze Lupin, 2. Because these times players from 1st option has no abilities to do something good. As for example, I would like to see Valančiūnas playing like Stoudemire and Aldridge.
Raze Lupin, I choose 1.
Sagenas, I thought you meant big guys who can shoot from distance as versatile. In this case brothers Lavrinovic are very versatile. The players I named belongs to the list of the best centers in the world. Who are super stars if not them? Huh
Pages: 1 2 3 4