TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Q & A about basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This topic is dedicated for those who know little about basketball but want to know more. Please ask here and I or someone else will answer you.
A few questions:

Who is generally regarded as the world's greatest player? Huh

Which is the strongest league in the world (apart from the NBA - as I'm assuming that is the strongest Wink ) ?

I'll have many more in the future so don't worry this thread will always be active Laugh
Great! I like to tell about basketball Biggrin

It is difficult to say who is the best because there are so many great players. But the most famous is probably Michael Jordan. I guess his name is known even by those who don't know anything about basketball.

You are right NBA is the strongest league in the world at the moment. Euroleague is the strongest league apart from NBA. The level of Euroleague is very close to NBA and getting closer every year. There were plans to open NBA division in Europe.

More questions please Smile
Who are the top 10 current stars of the NBA?

Is Yoa Ming still the tallest player in the NBA?
It's difficult to rank them but I would say: Shquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Jason Kidd.

Yes he is.
Do Panathinikos still have the best team in Europe?

When does the coverage of the European tournaments start up on Eurosport again?
Panathinaikos is very strong team. They were second best team in this year Euroleague regular season but in Top 16 they lost all 3 games so far and almost lost any chances to go trhrough. Looking at the paper the strongest squads are Maccabi, Barcelona, CSKA, Real Madrid, TAU Ceramica.

Eurosport 2 should be showing ULEB Cup live. Check http://www.ulebcup.com for the fixtures. Euroleague highlights should on today on 19:30 on Eurosport 2 so it is 18:30 UK time I guess. Check evening here.
Who invented basketball?

Who is the best international side?

What is the average height roughly for a basketball player?
Basketball was invented by Dr. James Naismith in 1891 in USA.

Currently USA is considered as the strongest. But basically it's big four: USA, Lithuania, Argentine and Serbia. Check FIBA rankings topic Thup

Averga height is probably 1.90m But that's just average height. Point guards can be 1.70-1.90m Shooting guards 1.85-1.95 Small forwrads 1.90-2.05 Power forwards 2.00-2.10 enters 2.10-2.3x Smile it all depends on player's personal qualities. There 1.90m point guards and small centers. I just posted some usual requirements.
Quote:It's difficult to rank them but I would say: Shquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Jason Kidd.

Yes he is.

You forgot about best "snipers" Iverson and Carter Smile
Quote:You forgot about best "snipers" Iverson and Carter Smile

Oh yeah I did Smile there are so many players I can't say that these 10 are the best.
How many different positions are there in basketball and what are they? Huh
There are five positions. I will list them from the tallest to the smallest (usually but not always).

Center - he plays near the basket. He is tall can block shots. Usually has poor shot from longer distances. But there are more and more exceptions. For example Darjus Lavrinovic from Zalgiris, Jorge Garbajosa from Unicaja. They can score a lot of 3-pointers which makes it much more difficult to defend against them

Power Forward - also tall and physically strong plays near the basket.

Small Forward - is much more universal. Fast, has good shot, good jump.

Shooting Guard - he is also fast and good shooter a sniper. Usually a good defender too.

Point Guard - court general. He is the smallest but also the probably the most important player on the court. The most important attributes is passing and court vision. PG has to find open his team mate. He organises attacks. Good shooting and speed makes him even better. He starts all the attacks.

These are the general descritpions of every position.
height is not everything just look at players like Ch.Barkley, L.Johnson, E.Boykins, S.Webb, M.Bogues.

and there were a lot of player who were very tall but played very badly. in basketball it's need to use your minds and brains Smile
that is very true look at earl boykins standing at a tiny 5'5 but because of his ability and basketball mind he has made it. Spud Webb Also 5'7 won a dunk contest. As did new rookie Nate Robinson i think its also about passion and how much you want it as well as ability. Just so you know earl boykins is my avatar taking on a 7'6 player(i think) shawn bradley tallest in the league with Yao Ming, anyway though it was a good picture to show the contrast of tall and small player Biggrin
Is the tall player in your ava jumping or is he just stood still? Unsure The small players are surely at a big disadvantage, can any of these small players slam dunk? They must have terrific leaps and jumps to be basketball players. Laugh
That tall player is Shawn Bradley. And he is very very tall Biggrin Some small players have a great jump. For example Spudd Webb was only 5'7 but he won dunk contest or Nate Robinson 5'8.
yah and nate robinson also won this last dunk contest both have mythical leaps check in dunks in the videos section i have but a link to a nate robinson dunking. The tall player is stood still he is 7'6 nad earl boykins is 5'5 though admitadely earl i bending a bit
What is the hardest move to perform in basketball? Is it something like a reverse slam dunk? Unsure Laugh
It depends on personal abilities. Some players can make 360 degree dunk easily but has very poor shooting. But generally I'd say that making great dunks are the most difficult.
Pages: 1 2 3