TalkBasket.net Basketball Forums

Full Version: Polish national team
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Polish national team for eurobasket 2009:

1.Lukasz Koszarek(Anwil Wloclawek), Krzysztof Szubarga (Stal Ostrów), Michal Chylinski(Unicaja Malaga)

2.Pawel Kikowski(Kotwica Ko?obrzeg, Bartlomiej Woloszyn(Anwil Wloclawek),Iwo Kitzinger(Turów Zgorzelec

3.Robert Tomaszek(Kondori Liberec?), Marcin Sroka(Anwil Wloclawek?), Wojciech Szawarski (Politechnika Poznan)

4.Michal Ignerski (Caja San Fernando), Robert Witka (Turów Zgorzelec), Maciej Lampe (Khimki Moscow), Pawe? Mróz(Slask Wroclaw),Radoslaw Hyzy(Slask Wroclaw), Filip Dylewicz(Prokom Trefl Sopot)

5.Marcin Gortat(Orlando Magic), Adam ?apeta (Prokom Trefl Sopot
Quote:Poland Hopeful Logan Waiting In The Wings

Poland may get a spark from Asseco Prokom's American guard David Logan this summer when they host EuroBasket 2009.

Logan, 26, the second-leading scorer in the Euroleague this season at 16.87 points per game, has applied for a Polish passport and should know at the end of April or early May if he is to be granted one.

"I filed all of my paperwork last week," Logan said to Basketball World News.

"Now we have to wait 45 days for the president of Poland (Lech Kaczynski) to make his decision. "

The 1.84m Logan says his point of contact regarding the Poland opportunity has not been national team coach Muli Katzurin, who will lead the team in Group D in Wroclaw against Turkey, Lithuania and Bulgaria.

"I know that he is a coach in the Czech Republic (CEZ Nymburk)," Logan said.

"He wanted to sign me this year to play in the Czech Republic but I ended up coming here. I haven't talked to him yet."

Logan had an outstanding collegiate career at Indianapolis and was voted NCAA Division II Player of the Year in 2005.

In Europe, he had stints in Italy and Israel before moving to Poland.

He signed at the start of 2007 for SKS Starogard and spent last season with BOT Turow Zgorzelec before joining Prokom for 2008-09.

While Logan hasn't grown up with the Poland youth teams, he would not be a complete stranger if he ended up competing at the EuroBasket.

"I know quite a few of the Poland players," Logan said.

"I had some on my team last year and this year, and at the All-Star Game I met some. Whenever we play against other teams, I talk to them (Poland internationals) a little bit."

As for the opportunity to play at the EuroBasket, Logan admits it's not something that he craves but admits it would be a great opportunity.

"I just know that the EuroBasket is in Poland and know the teams that are in our group, but I don't know what to expect from it overall," Logan said.

"I don't know if it would be a highlight of my career or not because I have played against a lot of good players.

"But it would definitely be a highlight of my summer.

"I would look forward to it, though."

The Windy City

Logan was born in Chicago and both watched and played a lot of basketball while growing up.

"When I was younger in Chicago, I used to live right down the street from this high school where Marcus Liberty played," Logan said.

"He ended up making it in the NBA for several years. My uncle used to always take me down there and watch him play in high school.

"He's one of the players who stood out for me when I was young. And of course there was the (Chicago) Bulls.

"Right now, the person I like in the NBA is Mike Bibby (Atlanta Hawks)."

Logan moved to Indianapolis at the age of eight and eventually attended North Central High School in Indianapolis before remaining in the city to play college basketball.

He says his experience overseas has been good both on and off the court.

"I have had a lot of fun learning and travelling, so far it's been great in Europe," he said.

"The last game in the Top 16 for us, when we beat Milan by 24 points, that was probably the one game I remember most from this season so far because we won by a lot and it was a good way to finish the Top 16."

Prokom did, he admit, exceed expectations by advancing to the Top 16.

"It was a surprise for us to make it to the Top 16 this year because the budget went down and the coach (Tomas Pacesas) probably couldn't get the players that he really wanted," he said.

"But he picked the team by himself, did a good job and surprised a lot of people."

As a player, Logan says he has gotten better.

"My game has changed a lot since I came to Europe," he said.

"I am still learning a lot about the game offensively and defensively and every year that I've been in Europe, I've improved.

"In the off-season, I work on my game a lot, doing one-on-one moves in order to be able to hit tough shots.

"To put me in a position where I can play on the ball, or off the ball - it's really helped my game."

Should he get his passport, Logan could end up being a big help to Poland as well.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_l57rQhd3H...tpage.html
via eurobasket2009.org

Quote:Poland coach Muli Katzurin has announced a 16-man preliminary squad for September's EuroBasket and both David Logan and Marcin Gortat are included.

American Logan, the high-scoring guard of Asseco Prokom Sopot, is hoping to have his application for a Polish passport approved in the coming days.

Gortat is the reserve big man of the Orlando Magic who has played big minutes in the NBA play-offs with his team just one victory shy of reaching the Finals.

Katzurin, the former Israel national team boss, has also included Spanish-based players Michal Ignerski of Cajasol Sevilla and Michal Chylinski of LEB side Clinicas Rincon Axarquia, and Maciej Lampe of Russian Superleague outfit BC Khimki.

Poland veteran Adam Wojcik of BG Basket Poznan and Logan's Asseco Prokom teammate Filip Dylewicz are among the domestic based players in the group.

The 40-year-old Wojcik made his EuroBasket debut nearly two decades ago when Poland played in the Final Round in Rome in 1991.

He was also in the team that competed in Barcelona in 1997 and at the EuroBasket in Spain two years ago.

Bartlomiej Woloszyn, Pluta, Radoslaw Hyzy, Kamil Pietras and Przemyslaw Frasunkiewicz played at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain but will not be involved.

Logan is a player that Katzurin is anxious to incorporate into his line-up.

"This player may be very useful for our team," Katzurin said.

"I'd like to broaden our tactic as soon as possible taking David Logan into consideration."

As for his overall comments about the Poland squad, Katzurin said: "They are the best basketball players in Poland."

National team coaches are always disappointed that some players are unavailable and Katzurin is no different.

"There are two other competitors that I would like to see in my team," he said..

"They are Przemyslaw Zamojski, who sustained an injury, and Andrzej Pluta, who unfortunately didn't change his mind about ending his sport's career."

Poland's players are to gather in Warsaw on July 18 and their first training camp tips off on July 20 in Spała.

The team will have home support as Poland are hosting the EuroBasket, but they will find it very difficult to advance from Wroclaw as they have games against Bulgaria, Turkey and Lithuania.

Poland preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2009: Michal Chylinski, Filip Dylewicz, Marcin Gortat, Michal Ignerski, Pawel Kikowski, Iwo Kitzinger, Lukasz Koszarek, Maciej Lampe, David Logan, Krzysztof Roszyk, Robert Skibniewski, Wojciech Szawarski, Szymon Szewczyk, Krzysztof Szubarga, Robert Witka, Adam Wojcik.
Do it like the germans do: get wally sczcerbiak and andrew wisniefski Cool Laugh
via https://www.talkbasket.net/

Quote:Muli Katzurin went on and finalized Poland's roster for the Eurobasket as he cut Pawel Kikowski, Filip Dylewicz and Robert Skibniewski with the latter remaining with the team to help out in training.

Poland's roster will comprise of the following players:

Michal Chylinski
Marcin Gortat
Michal Ignerski
Iwo Kitzinger
Lukasz Koszarek
Maciej Lampe
David Logan
Krzysztof Roszyk
Szymon Szewczyk
Krzysztof Szubarga
Robert Witka