Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Gilas
Good luck to Smart Gilas, I like the idea! With that devotion and determination you should gather a good NT that could be available to get to world class level. patay-butiki, how do you think, Philippines are lacking skills, experience, professionalism or it's more about physical conditions (lack of height for example?) or it's both?
(Apr 7, 2010, 5:57 pm)suricata Wrote: there are other competitive teams in asia too. lebanon, syria, iran...

true. but i believe china is still the team to beat in asia. smart gilas has shown that it is already competitive with WABA teams. china may be a different story tho. Smile
(Apr 11, 2010, 11:00 am)straight forward Wrote: Good luck to Smart Gilas, I like the idea! With that devotion and determination you should gather a good NT that could be available to get to world class level. patay-butiki, how do you think, Philippines are lacking skills, experience, professionalism or it's more about physical conditions (lack of height for example?) or it's both?

thanks straight forward. skills and professionalism are there. me thinks it's the lack of international experience. lack of height has been a perennial problem, but this is being remedied by the recruitment of a naturalized player (american most probably), as well as half-filipinos from the states and elsewhere.

basketball is the no. 1 sport in the philippines. players here are treated like celebrities, much like NBA players. if you guys know of a 7-foot european center who is willing to help the Philippines in international play, just let me know. the Philippines is still in the look out for such player. and i assure you, while the nominal salary may not be as competitive as in the NBA or the euroleague (about $120,000-150,000 a year) the intangibles (dedicated, well-trained fighthing team, plus the celebrity perks) more than outweigh the nominal salary amount.
below is the summary of naturalized player candidates of smart gilas:

1. c.j. giles - booted out for disciplinary reasons

2. jamal sampson - injuries

3. dwayne jones - picked up by phoenix suns

4. earl barron - picked up by new york knicks

5. brian butch - picked up by denver nuggets

6. jared homan - reportedly picked up by bulgarian NT

7. michael fey - currently under negotiations

only c.j. giles and jamal sampson actually played for smart gilas. of the players above, only c.j. giles showed the most dedication in embracing the Philippines as his own. unfortunately, his love of the night life did not sit well with Philippine NT coach Rajko Toroman.
(Apr 18, 2010, 1:59 am)patay-butiki Wrote: below is the summary of naturalized player candidates of smart gilas:

1. c.j. giles - booted out for disciplinary reasons

2. jamal sampson - injuries

3. dwayne jones - picked up by phoenix suns

4. earl barron - picked up by new york knicks

5. brian butch - picked up by denver nuggets

6. jared homan - reportedly picked up by bulgarian NT

7. michael fey - currently under negotiations

only c.j. giles and jamal sampson actually played for smart gilas. of the players above, only c.j. giles showed the most dedication in embracing the Philippines as his own. unfortunately, his love of the night life did not sit well with Philippine NT coach Rajko Toroman.

what do you think of lebanon? are they stronger than philipines?
(May 25, 2010, 6:38 am)LebanonFadi Wrote: what do you think of lebanon? are they stronger than philipines?

Lebanon is definitely stronger compared to the Philippines at this point. but the recent retirement of Fadi El-Khatib from international competition should somehow close the gap between the two teams. i guess one of the deciding factors will be the naturalized player. lebanon's vroman is arguably a better player than the players the philippines is considering for naturalization (i.e. milan vucicevic, Marcus Douthit).

on paper, lebanon is still ahead. i would give the regular lebanon NT (minus fadi el-khatib) a +4.5 over the smart gilas pilipinas NT.
smart gilas boys scoring a big time endorsement! Smile

[Image: bigtimemeals.jpg]

just goes to show how big basketball is in the philippines.
(Apr 18, 2010, 1:59 am)patay-butiki Wrote: jared homan - reportedly picked up by bulgarian NT

I think that's where he picked up the passport of naturalization from. Bulgaria sells 'em like hot cakes.

Great player however, he would have been a mad addition to smart gilas. He played this season for Maroussi, and had a good season as far as I'm aware.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Latest news on smart gilas and our naturalization candidate.

Marcus Eugene Douthit. Zeus, any chance you've seen this guy play? is he any good?

article below from malaya.com.ph.....

Quote:Gilas officials hoping Douthit could be ‘it’

By Trina Ibarle-Orquiza

SMART Gilas Pilipinas, fresh from a seventh-place finish in the recent Asia Champions Cup in Doha, Qatar, is bringing in American Marcus Eugene Douthit, a contemporary of current NBA stars Dwight Howard and Andrei Iguodala, as the team continues its search for a foreign player who can be naturalized and give the squad more sting at the paint.

Coach Rajko Toroman, the Serbian coach of the team, suggested bringing in the 6-foot-11 Douthit, 30, to try out for the squad, a development welcomed by team manager Frankie Lim.

Douthit played for 15 games for Russia last year where he averaged 8.3 points and 4.9 rebounds. He also played in the Euro Challenge representing a Russian team last year and averaged 11.5 points and 7.6 rebounds.

"We’ll see what he can do. What we can do is hope that he is the one we’re looking for," said Lim.

Serbian Milan Vucicevic reinforced Gilas in the Doha tournament but failed to impress team officials.

Douthit, who plays the power forward and center positions, arrives today to join Gilas, with team officials hoping their long search for a player who can be naturalized would finally come to an end.

"(In) one game in Moscow, he gets 16 points and 10 rebounds, we’ll try him out definitely," said Toroman.

A native of Syracuse, New York, Douthit ranked second all-time with 295 blocks while playing with Providence College in Rhode Island. In his senior year, he finished third in the Big East and seventh in the US with an average of 3.2 blocked shots per game.

Douthit was picked 56th overall in the second round by the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2004 NBA draft.

Aside from Howard and Iguodala, his other contemporaries are Jameer Nelson of Orlando, Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks, Ben Gordon of the Detroit Pistons, Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, and Anderson Varejao of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Douthit would most probably join Gilas in a pocket tournament organized by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas starting on June 24 featuring teams from Jordan, China and the pro league.
Quote:Douthit played for 15 games for Russia last year where he averaged 8.3 points and 4.9 rebounds.

I liked that part. Seriously, what team does he play for? Those stats are not bad in Russian league for sure.
(Jun 14, 2010, 6:27 pm)Vilius Wrote: I liked that part. Seriously, what team does he play for? Those stats are not bad in Russian league for sure.

[Image: 452048144-299332669_344.9.jpg]

marcus douthit. Krasnie Krilya Samara. #25

from eurobasket...

Quote:Season: 2009-2010 (Russia)

SUMMARY

TEAM G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST TO

Krasnie Krilya Samara 15 338 125 49-94 0-0 27-51 27 47 74 13 48 12 12 0

AVERAGE

Krasnie Krilya Samara 15 22.5 8.3 52.1% 0.0% 52.9% 1.8 3.1 4.9 0.9 3.2 0.8 0.8 0.0

Season: 2009-2010 (EuroChallenge)

SUMMARY

TEAM G MIN PTS 2FGP 3FGP FT RO RD RT AS PF BS ST TO

Krasnie Krilya Samara 11 266 126 47-78 0-0 32-51 27 57 84 11 31 9 8 0

AVERAGE

Krasnie Krilya Samara 11 24.2 11.5 60.3% 0.0% 62.7% 2.5 5.2 7.6 1.0 2.8 0.8 0.7 0.0
Patay butiki: Sorry man, I've not heard of the player you're asking about. Just Jared Homan Smile
(Jun 16, 2010, 10:18 am)ZEUS Wrote: Patay butiki: Sorry man, I've not heard of the player you're asking about. Just Jared Homan Smile

no worries. anyways, there's gonna be an invitational tournament soon here in manila. we'll soon find out if douthit is any good. Smile

Quote:Smart-Gilas applicant gets rave reviews

By WAYLON GALVEZ

June 16, 2010, 4:59pm

From what they saw after the first practice session, Marcus Douthit will definitely be a big help for the Smart-Gilas national team.

“He’s a very clever big guy. He’s a good passer, has good basketball sense,” Smart-Gilas Serbian head coach Rajko Toroman said after the 6-foot-11 Douthit had his first scrimmage with the Nationals at the Arena in San Juan.

“He knows how to use spacing inside the floor. But of course, we have to check him play. Practice is one thing, playing the game in a real competition is different,” Toroman added.

The 30-year-old Douthit, a former draftee of the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2004 NBA Rookie Draft, arrived Tuesday morning after seeing action recently with the Krasnie Krilya Samara, a professional league in Russia.

Douthit will reinforce Smart-Gilas in the first MVP Invitational Championship, a pocket tournament that will also feature the Jordan national team, the Dongguan Leopards (a team from the Chinese Basketball Association), the PBA’s Talk ‘N Text and Barangay Ginebra.

Smart-Gilas team manager Frankie Lim said he too was impressed with Douthit’s basketball knowledge and the way he complemented his teammates.

“He looks good. He sees the floor well, has good post moves,” Lim said. “He shoots well from medium range. He’s impressive for a guy who just arrived from a long flight. He has great basketball sense too.”

“If he continues to play, well I think the team will have a good presence on the paint. At the same time he could help us on rebounds and defending the big guys,” he added.

Toroman also likened Douthit to former Smart-Gilas import CJ Giles, an athletic big man rather than Jamal Sampson, another ex-reinforcement of the Nationals who was a hardworking rebounder and an inside operator.

“But the good thing about him (compared to the two) is he’s a team player. He’s a good rebounder. Maybe he’s not yet in good shape. But he’s a team player. His teammates like him. He finds open man,” Toroman said.

"I checked his background from one of my friends who coached him in Croatia. This is coach is very strict, but he hasn't had a single problem with Marcus," he said.

The MVP Invitational Championship is set to open on June 24 at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium, and the Nationals will face Dongguan on opening day. They will face Jordan on the 25th, before ending the opening round with an exhibition game with Ginebra on June 26.

While the games against Ginebra and Talk 'n Text are all exhibition games, these will all count on the win-loss records of Smart-Gilas, Jordan, and Dongguan. The top two teams will play in the finals on June 27.
Good luck to Smart Gilas!

Time to put that European experience to work now! Smile
Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's next for Gilas Pilipinas? TalkBasket 0 205 Oct 4, 2023, 1:55 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket