Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting players - let's start something here
(Jul 23, 2010, 3:47 pm)Vilius Wrote: That's a good point.

Name:
Date of birth:
Height:
Weight:
Nationality (-ies):
Best position:
Other positions:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Intangibles:
Potential (is he likely to improve and how much?):
Overall level (local, Eurocup, Euroleague etc.):

My suggestions: injury history(only include major injuries), "good teammate" or not (though that could fall under intangibles), separate defense and offense. Here's a really in-depth scouting report I did on one of Hapoel's players from last season, Leo Lyons. It's long but I think it has a lot of useful info in it. Could give some other guys ideas for their own reports. Obviously, these aren't the kinds of players we should be aiming to cover off the bat; we need to do the players with the most talent/potential first.

Leo Lyons

2.06 cm

USA

Power Forward

23 years old

Shooting: Takes shots out to the European three point line, accuracy from that range isn't very good. Sometimes makes a three or two in a game, but shouldn't be depended on to take deep shots. Can be tempted into taking long range shots, but those aren't his specialty and he needs to understand that. Great scorer in the paint off drives, good finisher under the basket. Shaky free throw shooting.

Types of Shots: Usually catch and shoot when he takes the deep shots, can't create a shot for himself but has the ability to take his opponent to the basket off the dribble and finish. Decent post game, not a wide variety of post moves.

Ball handling: Not good, but as a 4/5 he isn't asked to dribble much anyway.

Hands/Passing: Good hands, can usually catch and finish under the basket off a drive by the guards. Decent passer as part of the team's ball movement, not flashy.

Control in both hands: Opts for his strong hand as much as possible (right) , but can also finish with his weak hand when he has to.

Off ball movement: Not much movement in his team's play this season, but knows how to move under the basket and when to take his opponent outside to allow for a drive.

Decision making: Still a young player and has room to improve. Can be tempted into doing things he isn't very good at (ex. long range shooting).

On ball defense: Athletic, has the will to defend. Never a shut down defender, but not a liability either. Doesn't take breaks on the defensive end. Isn't quick enough to guard a quick player on drives, but can defend a similar sized player in the paint at an acceptable level.

Off ball defense: Sticks to his man, doesn't give up on defensive plays.

Physical level of play: Not extremely physical, has the will to defend but sometimes isn't aggressive enough.

Foul trouble: No extreme foul trouble, responsible enough to know when to foul and when not to.

Block shots: Uses his athleticism and height to his advantage and has had a few highlight reel worthy blocks off the weak side. Generally not an "umbrella" under the rim, can't compare to players like Stephon Lasme and Fran Vasquez in that respect.

Competitiveness: Competitive, not extremely. Willing to sacrifice his own stats for the team to win. Cheers on his teammates from the bench as well.

Leadership: Still a young player, needs time to develop real leadership skills. Was in the shadow of the older American players on the roster this season.

Relationship with coaches and teammates: A team-oriented player, started the season in the coach's doghouse but eventually proved himself and turned into a major player for the team at the end of the season.

Athletic ability: Great athleticism, not very fast or quick and so wouldn't be effective as a 3.

Money Time: The team had lots of players who wanted the ball in their hands at the end of games, and Lyons never opposed. Maybe he was afraid to be fouled, as a weak foul shooter? Missed several clutch free throws over the season, but that can be attributed to his weak foul shooting as much as to his clutchness (or lack of).

Potential: Currently solid player for 2nd tier European leagues, potential to contribute in a major European league.

Major Injuries: None

One-on-one situations: Not usually, but then again he was barely asked to this season.

Team/Selfish Player: Team player

Athleticism (1-10): 7.5

Natural Leader or Role Player: Role Player
Maybe we should stop making propositions, use the current template and start posting Wink

I think what we have here is just enough to create image about relatively unknown players..
Name: Arvydas Šikšnius

Date of birth: 1987-10-10

Height: 196cm

Weight: 94kg

Nationality (-ies): Lithuanian

Best position: SG

Other positions: SF (can play as PG, but at very low level)

Strengths: Athletic (can jump high), reliable shooter (sometimes unstable), game 1x1, passing skills, defense.

Weaknesses: unstable, kinda slow (I guess his playing style is like that), mental condition (can't handle his mental condition everytime, sometimes in important match against strong opponents).

Intangibles: Hardwokring, he made very fast to the top. 07-08 season he played in NKL, then 08-09 season he made to LKL team Sakalai Vilnius and become one of the leaders, then season later 09-10 he became one of the leaders in Å iauliai (EuroCup average 17 points, ~15 EFF in 6 games while in LKL he averaged almost 12 points and 12 EFF)

Potential: Could become high level player. He reminds me Šiškauskas, when he was younger.

Overall level: Euroleague.

Next season he will play in Lietuvos Rytas. Few highlights from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw3q0wG85...ure=search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgt3B5zVB...ure=search
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
Name: Aidas Viskontas

Date of birth: 1986-05-21

Height: 185cm

Weight: 75kg

Nationality: Lithuanian

Best position: PG

Other positions: SG

Strengths: Assist machine, have good passing ability, high basketball IQ.

Weaknesses: Slow first step, penetration, clutch abilities, improvisation.

Potential: Average, can develop even more.

Intangibles: Always knows what to do, selfconfident.

Overall level: Right now, EuroCup level, but he can develop to Euroleague 2nd point guard level or even more.

He's currently playing in Perlas on loan from Lietuvos Rytas. One and half year he wasn't playing because of injury, till that he played very good, so it's like he's new start from second half of last season (we hope to see him in Lietuvos Rytas next year). Also few years ago he made LKL assists record (16 assists, if I remember correctly).
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
If you are interested on players or you want to create your basketball profiles

you can do it for free on Basketball ID. I think it's a great tool for scouting and to enhance your basketball profile.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brutal hits by basketball players Black Urum 10 8,131 Nov 12, 2016, 10:09 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Basketball players' tattoos Black Urum 2 3,533 Mar 22, 2013, 4:47 pm
Last Post: CoachSteve
  Basketball players in advertisement Black Urum 29 15,411 Jul 29, 2012, 5:49 am
Last Post: skangles
  Ridiculous/funny pictures of basketball players Black Urum 11 8,006 Nov 16, 2011, 4:22 pm
Last Post: Black Urum
  Players off-court Black Urum 0 2,186 May 25, 2011, 10:52 pm
Last Post: Black Urum