Poll: Let's rumble South American style
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Argentina
83.33%
5 83.33%
Brazil
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/8 Final: Argentina vs Brazil
Argentina vs Brazil

Argentina got a slight edge for me in this one... much more experience and class... Scola has been amazing. The only super-star and one-man-show of WC so far!
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Quote:Argentina vs Brazil

Argentina got a slight edge for me in this one... much more experience and class... Scola has been amazing. The only super-star and one-man-show of WC so far!

I agree on this, specially if Načioni would be here. On other hand, I saw how good Brazil can be while playing against USA. They have tools and this gonna be a close game.
A real South American classic. Argentina probably depends too much on Scola while Brazil hasn't done wonders but still managed to USA a run for their money. Definitely one of the more interesting pairs.
I think it's looking level, Brazil are a better team overall than Argentina is. One man (Scola) can't beat a whole team, unless you're talking about Dirk Nowitzki.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
I think, Brazil will win, but game gonna be tough. Brazil just is very good team with good team chemistry.
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
WOW Scola is destroying Brazil, two incredible shots in the clutch! Too bad for Marcelinho, excellent game from him, one of my favorite players.
He couldn't even miss on purpose! Unbelievable performance, 37 POINTS.
Quote:Argentina vs Brazil

... Scola has been amazing. The only super-star and one-man-show of WC so far!

[Image: horatio460.jpg]

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

First off, what a game that was! Wow, both of those squads can ball.

Secondly, "One man (Scola) can't beat a whole team, unless you're talking about Dirk Nowitzki" shhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeetttttt, Nowitzki wishes he was as clutch as Scola. Kevin Durant is the best player in the tournament, but Scola has been, without question, the MVP of the last two weeks. I saw him miss a freethrow today and I think that's the first shot I've seen him miss since the NBA season.

What a great basketball game.
Quote:First off, what a game that was! Wow, both of those squads can ball.

Secondly, "One man (Scola) can't beat a whole team, unless you're talking about Dirk Nowitzki" shhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeetttttt, Nowitzki wishes he was as clutch as Scola. Kevin Durant is the best player in the tournament, but Scola has been, without question, the MVP of the last two weeks. I saw him miss a freethrow today and I think that's the first shot I've seen him miss since the NBA season.

What a great basketball game.

I went through some stats yesterday to look for the last player who sustained a 30+ ppg in a major tournament (World Championship, Eurobasket, Olympic Games). The closes Nowitzki came was in 2005 with 26+ ppg.

Quote:I went through some stats yesterday to look for the last player who sustained a 30+ ppg in a major tournament (World Championship, Eurobasket, Olympic Games). The closes Nowitzki came was in 2005 with 26+ ppg.

That's good research, but there is no stat line in the world that will convince me Nowitzki is anything more than a glory-boy. Obviously Dirk has a supreme skill set and can shoot the lights out. However I've watched him, for about a decade now, fall short continuously in big games. Dirk is the poster boy for what Americans view as a "soft euro". Pao Gasol was butchered for being "soft" after the '08 NBA finals when he pretty much spent the entire series as the butt of the Celtics highlight reel. How did he respond? He lead Spain to a silver medal at the Olympics and won 2 straight NBA titles, out-playing Garnett, Stoudemire, Howard and Rasheed(granted Rasheed was on his way to retirement) in the process. Now a days nobody is calling Pao soft, in fact he's the most respected European in the NBA right now. Which brings me back to Dirk. How has he responded to his earned reputation? By pumping in big numbers in those throw away NBA regular season games (which everyone on this forum was complaining about being passionless) and then getting punked in playoffs while leading his team to early exits every season.

I'd take Scola over Dirk any day of the week.
Yeah, but we're talking about Nowitzki in international competition, and not in the NBA.
Well Dirk has led Germany NT to a silver medal at Eurobasket.

Given the (non) quality of Germany it was like he led an NCAA team to the NBA final.

Also Dirk is more respected here than Pau because he never employed gimmicks, flops and bitching in his game. At least not on international level, don't know what is going on in NBA.

For most European fans: Dirk > Gasol

Quote:Yeah, but we're talking about Nowitzki in international competition, and not in the NBA.

What has Dirk ever done in international play?

Didn't Pao just win a Euro title(2009) to go along with two Euro Silvers(2007,2003) and a Bronze(2001), a WC in '06 and Silver Medal in '08 plus he was an MVP in Spanish league title series. Oh Pao flops? Welcome to European sports in general. I bet Dirk would flop if anyone could even find him on the defensive end of the court.
^ Yes, but Pau had a supporting cast of all-stars. Who did Dirk have to rely on in the NT? Stefan Arigbabu? Laugh

He always got Germany much deeper into tournaments based upon his sole performance perhaps with some help at time for Jagla and I can't remember any of the other guys on the squad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi final: USA-Lithuania Black Urum 42 22,081 Feb 23, 2011, 9:05 pm
Last Post: straight forward
  1/8 Final: Slovenia vs Australia Black Urum 8 5,681 Oct 6, 2010, 1:03 am
Last Post: Raze Lupin
  FINAL: Turkey-USA Black Urum 44 21,531 Sep 27, 2010, 2:14 pm
Last Post: ZEUS
  5-6 position: Argentina vs. Spain ZEUS 0 2,313 Sep 13, 2010, 2:59 pm
Last Post: ZEUS
  Quarter-final: Argentina-Lithuania Black Urum 32 17,191 Sep 12, 2010, 3:37 pm