Poll: Scolargentina or Kleithuania?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Argentina
57.14%
4 57.14%
Lithuania
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarter-final: Argentina-Lithuania
What a game this will be!

I'm sorry guys, but Scola is a whole another level...
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Quote:What a game this will be!

I'm sorry guys, but Scola is a whole another level...

It supposed to be Scolargentina. Scola is the best player of the tournament and I already know the most underrated NBA player as well Smile But Lithuania is more complete as a team, I don't if that will be enough against Scola and Delfino...
Quote:It supposed to be Scolargentina. Scola is the best player of the tournament and I already know the most underrated NBA player as well Smile But Lithuania is more complete as a team, I don't if that will be enough against Scola and Delfino...

You're forgetting Prigioni. Lithuania doesn't have a Prigioni.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

Quote:You're forgetting Prigioni. Lithuania doesn't have a Prigioni.

That's right, even if he had a very bad game against Brazil and he's not a top class PG anymore. Still his experience will be important. If Lithuania will be involved to slower tempo game, fans will curse Kalnietis again, that is true. On other hand, Lithuania can really run in fast brakes if they will produce that tough defence + Gecevičius seems to become the same player we used to see in Rytas.
Yup, Lithuania will definitely need to run because they got deeper rotation so players will be fresher and also a much younger team, so Argentina (especially the big 3, who play 35 or so minutes) will be exhausted.

Also Maciulis and Gecevicius really need to deliver on the offensive end. I think Kleiza and Pocius will.

Also Argentinians like to flop and irritate, so Kleiza is prone to fall in their trap... will need to be cool headed.

If Lithuania puts up a fight but loses to Argentina would you consider their tournament a success? I think that I would simply based on how poorly they performed in the last Eurobasket and how depleted their roster is relative to their player pool. With that said here is pulling for a Lithuanian Gold Medal!
Quote:Also Argentinians like to flop and irritate, so Kleiza is prone to fall in their trap... will need to be cool headed.

Good point. Kleiza gets too hot in important games, usually cursing refs and gets his team into trouble. He sacked Lithuania in 2008 semis against Spain with very stupid tech foul against Mark. Now, he didn't look calmer in Euroleague final and A1 finals. But the positive thing is that he's very cool in this tournament so far, maybe he's learning. Kemzūra did a good job so far by communicating with him about it.

skangles, if Lithuania will lose, we still might end up at 5 or 6 place. That would be a record for Lithuania in WC Smile This team already did a lot. Now they only need to give their best (all determination at least) against Argentina and no-one will blame them for the loss. But the game should be good, Lithuana can really play hard if they 100% into the game, so old fellas might really get tired at the end.
Quote:If Lithuania puts up a fight but loses to Argentina would you consider their tournament a success? I think that I would simply based on how poorly they performed in the last Eurobasket and how depleted their roster is relative to their player pool. With that said here is pulling for a Lithuanian Gold Medal!

I think Lithuania's target before the tournament was quarter-finals, and frankly with a roster, I think they have succeeded. Now if they make it to the semis, then they will surpass any expectations and wioll have two shots for a medal, which is the best case scenario to boost them before hosting Eurobasket 2011.

Quote:Good point. Kleiza gets too hot in important games, usually cursing refs and gets his team into trouble. He sacked Lithuania in 2008 semis against Spain with very stupid tech foul against Mark. Now, he didn't look calmer in Euroleague final and A1 finals. But the positive thing is that he's very cool in this tournament so far, maybe he's learning. Kemzūra did a good job so far by communicating with him about it.

On the other hand same thing happened in the friendly game vs USA in Spain some weeks ago Wink

In the states we don't really get to see too much international basketball unless our National team is involved. So untill 2006 I only saw other NTs when they were playing against us. Obviously I am biased and I use the US NT as the barometer to judge other teams, because of this I've always had more respect for these two national teams than anyone else. 4 out of the 5 starters for the Soviet Union's 1988 gold medal team were Lithuanian and since then they've always seemed to give my boys fits. Including the Sydney Olympics where they nearly shocked the world by coming within a missed three at the buzzer of beating the US. Something they were actually able to do in the Athens game.

Obviously, if playing the Americans is my yardstick, well then I have no choice but to give props to Argentina. Clearly they were the first country to beat a US squad with NBA players and they're the only country to beat the US with NBA players twice. Now, Argentina basketball has more exposure in America because they have high profile NBA players and they compete against us in the FIBA Americas. In the modern age of international basketball(1992-present), these two countries have been the biggest rivals to the US and I know the US players feel the same.

As for the actual game, like stated before on this thread, Lithuania doesn't have the guard play to beat Argentina. I think Lithuania will do a good job against All-World Scola, but Delfino and company will prove too much for Lithuania to overcome.
(Sep 8, 2010, 2:17 am)Black Urum Wrote: flop and irritate

Like shake and bake Laugh

Lithuania's performance cleaned up for last year's embarrassment at the Eurobasket. I see a good game, but I really doubt Lithuania will be able to beat Argentina who plays immensely great basketball in its purest form Thup
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Wow, just ultra respect to Lithuania demolishing Argentina like that. I only would have liked the difference to remain at +35 or so, because Lithuania deserved it. Argentina was out of strength, Scola was abysmal. Jason (who I've never seen before) put up a bit of a fight, but when you have seven players on the Lithuania roster with double digits in points scored, it remains a question when this happened last in a game of international basketball! Everybody's game today was just superb. Just what Kleiza needed so that the whole offensive weight didn't fall on him. Today he wasn't even needed in the game, Lithuania would have performed fine without him. Surprisingly Javtokas played some good defense but little offense. Has he lost the stupid notion that he is a supermodel?

This game will make the Americans worry a great deal now. The only thing I hope is that Lithaunia didn't get too tired from today's game and will be tired in the semi final. The day's rest should help. If Lithuania shoots the lights out like today, well we may well be looking at the next world champion! Smile
(Sep 9, 2010, 4:55 am)Miggity23 Wrote: In the states we don't really get to see too much international basketball unless our National team is involved. So untill 2006 I only saw other NTs when they were playing against us. Obviously I am biased and I use the US NT as the barometer to judge other teams, because of this I've always had more respect for these two national teams than anyone else. 4 out of the 5 starters for the Soviet Union's 1988 gold medal team were Lithuanian and since then they've always seemed to give my boys fits. Including the Sydney Olympics where they nearly shocked the world by coming within a missed three at the buzzer of beating the US. Something they were actually able to do in the Athens game.

Obviously, if playing the Americans is my yardstick, well then I have no choice but to give props to Argentina. Clearly they were the first country to beat a US squad with NBA players and they're the only country to beat the US with NBA players twice. Now, Argentina basketball has more exposure in America because they have high profile NBA players and they compete against us in the FIBA Americas. In the modern age of international basketball(1992-present), these two countries have been the biggest rivals to the US and I know the US players feel the same.

As for the actual game, like stated before on this thread, Lithuania doesn't have the guard play to beat Argentina. I think Lithuania will do a good job against All-World Scola, but Delfino and company will prove too much for Lithuania to overcome.

Serbia, Greece, Spain are much stronger countries in basketball these days than Lithuania and Argentina.
Quote:Serbia, Greece, Spain are much stronger countries in basketball these days than Lithuania and Argentina.

These days... Rolleyes
Quote:Serbia, Greece, Spain are much stronger countries in basketball these days than Lithuania and Argentina.

Oh really?
LMAO!
(Sep 9, 2010, 11:58 pm)Miggity23 Wrote: Oh really?

Yes. Lithuania and the US are just playing in a junior varsity bracket. Greece and Serbia are producing much more players than Lithuania or Argentina lately. That's an absolute fact.

(Sep 9, 2010, 11:51 pm)straight forward Wrote: These days... Rolleyes

Are you denying it?
Quote:Yes. Lithuania and the US are just playing in a junior varsity bracket. Greece and Serbia are producing much more players than Lithuania or Argentina lately. That's an absolute fact.

Are you denying it?

I do not understand your point. Are you referring to basketball in these countries in general or to the players who make up the national team? Argentina's super generation is quickly aging but its not as though Greece or Spain's roster contain a bunch of new faces but that doesn't mean anything as the guys on these teams are solid contributors to their national teams.

I agree with you on Serbia they have a really solid young team who will be a force for the next several tournaments. Lithuania's team is full of young talent and so far they're through to the semifinals so I'm not sure what statement you're trying to make.
Wow, amazing performance by Lithuania. At some points of the game I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Jasaitis bombing from outside then going for 1 handed dunks.

Jankunas and Maciulis eating Scola alive in defence...

Seibutis coming in and right away blocking an opponent.

Kalnietis being the 1st one reaching double digits in scoring and handing out some assists in the proccess.

Seven players having double digit scoring numbers.

Kleiza fighting for rebounds and leaving the scoring for later...

Just amazing, congrats!

Quote:Yes. Lithuania and the US are just playing in a junior varsity bracket. Greece and Serbia are producing much more players than Lithuania or Argentina lately. That's an absolute fact.

What the f*ck are you talking about? No offense, but I think that loss against Spain made you even "hotter" and you were doing fine in this forum so far. The fact is, that this young Lithuania reached further than Greece. And who said Greece producing more players? Where? Look at my thread "Euroleague's internationality", you will see that Lithuanians has the biggest amount of players in Euroleague (even more than Serbs has) and they leading in scoring. And I'm not saying that Lithuanian NT is superior generally at the given time, but it's really stupid to do such declarations when Lithuania is trashing Argentina in the 1/4 while Greece is drinking beer at home. And more over, next year Lithuania will have home court advantage and no-matter what team Greece will bring, it will be an open question - who's the favorite in that game.
(Sep 10, 2010, 12:52 pm)straight forward Wrote: What the f*ck are you talking about? No offense, but I think that loss against Spain made you even "hotter" and you were doing fine in this forum so far. The fact is, that this young Lithuania reached further than Greece. And who said Greece producing more players? Where? Look at my thread "Euroleague's internationality", you will see that Lithuanians has the biggest amount of players in Euroleague (even more than Serbs has) and they leading in scoring. And I'm not saying that Lithuanian NT is superior generally at the given time, but it's really stupid to do such declarations when Lithuania is trashing Argentina in the 1/4 while Greece is drinking beer at home. And more over, next year Lithuania will have home court advantage and no-matter what team Greece will bring, it will be an open question - who's the favorite in that game.

+++++++ totally agree.
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Semi final: USA-Lithuania Black Urum 42 22,069 Feb 23, 2011, 9:05 pm
Last Post: straight forward
  1/8 Final: Slovenia vs Australia Black Urum 8 5,681 Oct 6, 2010, 1:03 am
Last Post: Raze Lupin
  FINAL: Turkey-USA Black Urum 44 21,526 Sep 27, 2010, 2:14 pm
Last Post: ZEUS
  3rd place game: Serbia-Lithuania Black Urum 10 7,051 Sep 14, 2010, 9:00 am
Last Post: straight forward
  5-6 position: Argentina vs. Spain ZEUS 0 2,312 Sep 13, 2010, 2:59 pm
Last Post: ZEUS