Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Team Is Next In Line For Eurleague?
Maroussi is going to leave the Euroleague so which team will take their place? Does anyone know?
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1283978778' post='24725']

Maroussi is going to leave the Euroleague so which team will take their place? Does anyone know?

[/quote]

Last year Maroussi got in by beating Alba Berlin in a home & home series in the final stage of the Euroleague qualification rounds.

I don't know if Euroleague intends to do the qualification rounds again this year, but I certainly hope so as it keeps things interesting.
Yes, there will be qualifying rounds in some weeks.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

So no one knows which team is getting the Euroleague place? FIBA gives wild cards, but they used all of them up already. The next team in the rankings should be either Cantu or Panellinios as far as I can surmise based on how the rankings work, but FIBA has never actually released the #33 team in the ranking.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284239697' post='24853']

So no one knows which team is getting the Euroleague place? FIBA gives wild cards, but they used all of them up already. The next team in the rankings should be either Cantu or Panellinios as far as I can surmise based on how the rankings work, but FIBA has never actually released the #33 team in the ranking.

[/quote]

Right now there are 16 teams in contention for 2 Euroleague spots. They'll face off in three rounds of home & home series until there's only two teams remaining.

The 16 teams and schedule can be found here:

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/format
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1284425901' post='24948']

Right now there are 16 teams in contention for 2 Euroleague spots. They'll face off in three rounds of home & home series until there's only two teams remaining.

The 16 teams and schedule can be found here:

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/format

[/quote]

I know that. Maroussi is not going to compete so another team has to take their place. The #33 ranked team should get it. That's what I am asking, but obviously no one has a clue who it is.

ULEB gives out wild cards but they already used them all as they are only supposed to have 3 wild cards. So it looks like it should be Cantu or Panellinios, but no one seems to know.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284483864' post='24963']

I know that. Maroussi is not going to compete so another team has to take their place. The #33 ranked team should get it. That's what I am asking, but obviously no one has a clue who it is.

ULEB gives out wild cards but they already used them all as they are only supposed to have 3 wild cards. So it looks like it should be Cantu or Panellinios, but no one seems to know.

[/quote]

According to this Euroleague article which was published today, Maroussi are competing.

"Last but not least, Maroussi, one of last year's Qualifying Rounds survivors returns to face a European competitions newcomer, Budivelnyk, last season's runner-up in the Ukrainian League."

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/75493/180/item

According to the Euroleague schedule they are due to face Budivelnyk on Sept. 21 at 19:00

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/75495/180/item

If Maroussi are not partaking in this qualification process, somebody forgot to tell the Euroleague.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1284507746' post='24986']

According to this Euroleague article which was published today, Maroussi are competing.

"Last but not least, Maroussi, one of last year's Qualifying Rounds survivors returns to face a European competitions newcomer, Budivelnyk, last season's runner-up in the Ukrainian League."

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/75493/180/item

According to the Euroleague schedule they are due to face Budivelnyk on Sept. 21 at 19:00

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/75495/180/item

If Maroussi are not partaking in this qualification process, somebody forgot to tell the Euroleague.

[/quote]

This is Maroussi's current roster:

PG none on the team

SG Karapostolou (second division player)/Akepsemaidis (second division player)

SF Adetokoubo (17 year old fourth division player)/no back ups

PF Askrabic (said to be leaving the club as early as today)/Kavvadas (fourth division player)

C Sarikopoulos (never played pro ball before)/no back ups

And the coach of the team just got hired yesterday and still has not even got his staff yet. The club does not even meet the minimum roster and budget registration rules.

So explain to me how Maroussi is going to play in the Euroleague qualifying rounds? Is the Euroleague just going to forfeit their games and allow their opponents to advance? And not allow another team to compete? Seems ridiculous.

Maroussi has only 6 players signed, and one of them is a 17 year old that is to be assigned to their junior club. One of their players did not even play at a pro level last year. Two of them were in the second division. Another one has never even played at a senior level before.

Maroussi has not paid their registration fee to be allowed in the Greek A1 League yet. They have not reached a payment agreement with their players, which means that both the A1 and FIBA would not allow them to sign any players, nor to register for leagues. The club has yet to receive any sponsorships or help from the city. Euroleague has rules for roster minimums.

Within 6 days this team is going to compete in the Euroleague QR?
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284567985' post='24999']

This is Maroussi's current roster:

PG none on the team

SG Karapostolou (second division player)/Akepsemaidis (second division player)

SF Adetokoubo (17 year old fourth division player)/no back ups

PF Askrabic (said to be leaving the club as early as today)/Kavvadas (fourth division player)

C Sarikopoulos (never played pro ball before)/no back ups

And the coach of the team just got hired yesterday and still has not even got his staff yet. The club does not even meet the minimum roster and budget registration rules.

So explain to me how Maroussi is going to play in the Euroleague qualifying rounds? Is the Euroleague just going to forfeit their games and allow their opponents to advance? And not allow another team to compete? Seems ridiculous.

Maroussi has only 6 players signed, and one of them is a 17 year old that is to be assigned to their junior club. One of their players did not even play at a pro level last year. Two of them were in the second division. Another one has never even played at a senior level before.

Maroussi has not paid their registration fee to be allowed in the Greek A1 League yet. They have not reached a payment agreement with their players, which means that both the A1 and FIBA would not allow them to sign any players, nor to register for leagues. The club has yet to receive any sponsorships or help from the city. Euroleague has rules for roster minimums.

Within 6 days this team is going to compete in the Euroleague QR?

[/quote]

I'm just pointing out what was posted on the Euroleague website yesterday. I would find it really odd if the Euroleague brought in another team with just a few days before the game. My guess is that if Maroussi is unable to field a team then they will just have to forfeit their games.
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1284596433' post='25012']

I'm just pointing out what was posted on the Euroleague website yesterday. I would find it really odd if the Euroleague brought in another team with just a few days before the game. My guess is that if Maroussi is unable to field a team then they will just have to forfeit their games.

[/quote]

They should allow the next team in the ranking to compete and refund Maroussi their 250,000 euros Euroleague registration fee and maybe the club will not go bankrupt.
Maybe they talked to other teams but nobody was interested? The teams must have planned their preparation schedule in advance so if all of a sudden EL offers a play in qualifiers they might simply refuse or might be too expensive for them. Just saying that there might be some logical explanation.
Well Maroussi got kicked out of Euroleague. ULEB is retarded. They didn't even give another team a chance.
1. Largest part of registration fee is returned at the end of season. It is just a safety deposit in case the club does not abide to EL rules.

2. Maroussi never paid those fees to EL

3. Which club can be ready to take part in EL qualifying rounds with a week's notice?

4. Most important. ULEB has nothing to do with EL. Don't confuse EL with ULEB. ULEB is just one of the 30+ members of EL board, which is completely separate and independent.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

[quote name='Black Urum' timestamp='1284664838' post='25044']

1. Largest part of registration fee is returned at the end of season. It is just a safety deposit in case the club does not abide to EL rules.

2. Maroussi never paid those fees to EL

3. Which club can be ready to take part in EL qualifying rounds with a week's notice?

4. Most important. ULEB has nothing to do with EL. Don't confuse EL with ULEB. ULEB is just one of the 30+ members of EL board, which is completely separate and independent.

[/quote]

ULEB has nothing to do with Euroleague?
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284666334' post='25050']

ULEB has nothing to do with Euroleague? Obviously you are wrong.

[/quote]

Euroleague board has 35 members. ULEB is simply one of them. ULEB has got 1 vote, they berely have any influence on Euroleague. And they are two separate organisations, with two different presidents, in different offices.

If there is a competition which is run by ULEB, that's ACB. Same president, same offices.

[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/euroleague-and-acb-go-head-to-head-1251.html"]They were even open disagreements between ULEB and EL.[/url]

[quote name='Black Urum' timestamp='1284667336' post='25052']

Euroleague board has 35 members. ULEB is simply one of them. ULEB has got 1 vote, they berely have any influence on Euroleague. And they are two separate organisations, with two different presidents, in different offices.

If there is a competition which is run by ULEB, that's ACB. Same president, same offices.

[url="http://www.talkbasket.net/news/euroleague-and-acb-go-head-to-head-1251.html"]They were even open disagreements between ULEB and EL.[/url]

[/quote]

The registration fees go to ULEB. Besides that ACB and Pro A mainly runs Euroleague. Other than Bertomeu every single decision in Euroleague is by ACB and Pro A.
[quote name='Panathinaikos' timestamp='1284667938' post='25053']

The registration fees go to ULEB. Besides that ACB and Pro A mainly runs Euroleague. Other than Bertomeu every single decision in Euroleague is by ACB and Pro A.

[/quote]

You got a link to backup your claims or against pulling "facts" out of your ass?

[quote name='Black Urum' timestamp='1284672849' post='25061']

You got a link to backup your claims or against pulling "facts" out of your ass?

[/quote]

Every single major decision has been decided upon by Pro A, ACB and Bertomeu. They run Euroleague entirely, along with a little bit of influence from LEGA.

Anyway, PAOK replaced Maroussi in the Eurocup regular season place and Galatssaray joined into the Eurocup in the vacant qualifying round place.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Team effort started, James finished the job for Monaco EuroLeague News 0 404 Nov 4, 2021, 8:55 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Maccabi, last team on Tuesday Media Day EuroLeague News 0 308 Sep 17, 2021, 1:43 pm
  All-EuroLeague Second Team unveiled EuroLeague News 0 296 May 27, 2021, 5:14 pm
  Kevin Pangos is voted to All-EuroLeague First Team EuroLeague News 0 357 May 27, 2021, 3:17 am
  Efes's Micic reaches All-EuroLeague First Team! EuroLeague News 0 362 May 26, 2021, 7:06 am