Poll: Which is tournament is more important
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Olympics
71.43%
5 71.43%
FIBA World Championship
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Prestigious: World Championship or Olympic Gold
The US media is out of their minds. They claimed on several occassions that "in the rest of the world the FIBA world championship is a bigger deal than the olympics." I do not know what they're smoking, I'm of the understanding that it's universally acknowledged that a gold in the olympics is a way bigger deal than a gold in the world championship so I figured I'll put their statement to the test in this international forum.
Olympic Games of course... I don't think that we need any kind of explanation...
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
World Championship.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Olympic Games is best.All teams will be complete.And Dream Team will be on Olympic. Rolleyes
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
World Championship. The EuroBasket is harder to win than the Olympics is.

The only fans that are obsessed with the Olympics basketball are the NBA ones and all the old countries that used them as propaganda.

NBA obsessed nations like

USA
China
Australia
Canada
Philippines

and the countries that used them for propaganda like

USA
Soviet Union
Yugoslavia
China

Lithuania comes out of that Olympics propaganda culture as well.

For the rest of the world (including the countries that used to be Yugoslavia, like Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia)....

World Championship is either equal to the Olympics basketball, or more important. So basically NBA (Olympics) the rest of the world the same, or the world championship is more important.

Also, keep in mind that the Olympics is just marketing and nothing else and the last world championship we just had was a complete joke. Both tournaments have become NBA money and marketing and appear to be rigged.

So if this trend continues I GUARANTEE than the EuroBasket will be more important than either throughout Europe. In fact, to help you understand this since you are from the US and since US sports media is retarded, in MANY, MANY basketball fans minds, the EuroBasket is MORE important than the World Championship or the Olympics.

The Olympics is actually THIRD in importance to a lot of people in Europe. Americans call the EuroBasket a "regional tournament" or a "qualifying tournament" and compare it to their own joke Americas tournament.

This is epically hilarious. The EuroBasket is HUGELY important in Europe. For example, several European teams took the EuroBasket more seriously IMHO than they did the last Olympics and the last World Championship.

If you want to get into numbers ratings and money numbers (the obsession of all NBA and Olympics fans), 2010 FIBA World Championship had more TV viewers, more sponsorship and marketing money, more attendance, and more internet traffic than 2008 Olympic basketball did.

So officially, the world championship of 2010 was statistically a bigger and more important tournament than the 2008 Olympics basketball was. Of course, in the US hardly anyone was even aware the tournament even occurred.

So yes, believe it or not, what ESPN told you was absolutely true and correct. People can have their own feelings and opinions, but officially, what ESPN said is 100% true.
Olympics, no single doubt! I can only say what every sportsman says - to participate in Olympics is the dream. Saying that, I can only quote some BB players: Pau Gasol, Nowitzcki, T. Parker all said they will be in Eurobasket 2011 because they want to win the ticket for Olympics.

Errr end...how many stars said "no" for WC:

Gasol, Parker, Nowitzcki, Šaras, Kaukėnas, Papaloukas (even if changed his mind at some party I guess), Kobe, Lebron, Wade (I won't mention all of USA players), Manu and so on and on. Olympics 2008 was filled compered with Eurobasket 2009 and WC 2010. USA, Spain, Greece, Argentina, France, Slovenia, Croatia and many more teams came in full package.

Enough said?
(Sep 14, 2010, 9:30 pm)straight forward Wrote: Olympics, no single doubt! I can only say what every sportsman says - to participate in Olympics is the dream. Saying that, I can only quote some BB players: Pau Gasol, Nowitzcki, T. Parker all said they will be in Eurobasket 2011 because they want to win the ticket for Olympics.

Errr end...how many stars said "no" for WC:

Gasol, Parker, Nowitzcki, Šaras, Kaukė—nas, Papaloukas (even if changed his mind at some party I guess), Kobe, Lebron, Wade (I won't mention all of USA players), Manu and so on and on. Olympics 2008 was filled compered with Eurobasket 2009 and WC 2010. USA, Spain, Greece, Argentina, France, Slovenia, Croatia and many more teams came in full package.

Enough said?

You say Olympics because you are Lithuanian. Like I said, the old propaganda culture of the Olympics. Most of the countries of the world don't give a damn about that Olympics propaganda nonsense. But countries like USA and Lithuania are absolutely positively obsessed with it.

Those players all played in 2002 and 2006 world championship so you have no point. Lithuania is still living in the past just like the US and still fighting the us against them, East against West nonsense that is the propaganda of the Olympics.

You guys need to join the rest of Europe in this current century.
(Sep 14, 2010, 10:53 pm)forum troll Wrote: You say Olympics because you are Lithuanian. Like I said, the old propaganda culture of the Olympics. Most of the countries of the world don't give a damn about that Olympics propaganda nonsense. But countries like USA and Lithuania are absolutely positively obsessed with it.

Those players all played in 2002 and 2006 world championship so you have no point. Lithuania is still living in the past just like the US and still fighting the Us against them East against West nonsense that is the propaganda of the Olympics.

You guys need to join the rest of Europe in this current century.

Well, I'm saying that because Lithuanian players pay more attention for Olympics, not for WC. Seems it's not opposite for other countries. What is your respond on Gasol, Parker, Dirk? BTW, when Ivkovic started new generation of Serbia in 2009, he said our goal is Olympic awards. Morst of the teams see these awards as the biggest thing, what kind of world are you talking about? Maybe the fact that Greece never reached final 4 in Olympics is the fact there's no propaganda in your country (I mean 00's) ? Smile
(Sep 14, 2010, 8:13 pm)forum troll Wrote: World Championship. The EuroBasket is harder to win than the Olympics is.

The only fans that are obsessed with the Olympics basketball are the NBA ones and all the old countries that used them as propaganda.

NBA obsessed nations like

USA
China
Australia
Canada
Philippines

and the countries that used them for propaganda like

USA
Soviet Union
Yugoslavia
China

Lithuania comes out of that Olympics propaganda culture as well.

For the rest of the world (including the countries that used to be Yugoslavia, like Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia)....

World Championship is either equal to the Olympics basketball, or more important. So basically NBA (Olympics) the rest of the world the same, or the world championship is more important.

Also, keep in mind that the Olympics is just marketing and nothing else and the last world championship we just had was a complete joke. Both tournaments have become NBA money and marketing and appear to be rigged.

So if this trend continues I GUARANTEE than the EuroBasket will be more important than either throughout Europe. In fact, to help you understand this since you are from the US and since US sports media is retarded, in MANY, MANY basketball fans minds, the EuroBasket is MORE important than the World Championship or the Olympics.

The Olympics is actually THIRD in importance to a lot of people in Europe. Americans call the EuroBasket a "regional tournament" or a "qualifying tournament" and compare it to their own joke Americas tournament.

This is epically hilarious. The EuroBasket is HUGELY important in Europe. For example, several European teams took the EuroBasket more seriously IMHO than they did the last Olympics and the last World Championship.

If you want to get into numbers ratings and money numbers (the obsession of all NBA and Olympics fans), 2010 FIBA World Championship had more TV viewers, more sponsorship and marketing money, more attendance, and more internet traffic than 2008 Olympic basketball did.

So officially, the world championship of 2010 was statistically a bigger and more important tournament than the 2008 Olympics basketball was. Of course, in the US hardly anyone was even aware the tournament even occurred.

So yes, believe it or not, what ESPN told you was absolutely true and correct. People can have their own feelings and opinions, but officially, what ESPN said is 100% true.

This was an interesting post, cheers for your insight. Your point on different countries having different views on the topic is worth looking into further. So far I think that we can safely say that the Olympics are bigger in the US and Lithuania but not necessarily in other countries. Hopefully, we'll get some more votes/comments on this thread. In any event, thanks for taking the time to write such a long point.

I have a couple of points on what you said. First, I completely follow your logic on the Euro for football, whereby the European title is arguably more difficult to win than the World Cup because each World Cup several talented European teams fail to qualify and in return you have crap like Honduras. However, if we forget about the olympics and just compare the World Championship to the Eurobasket, there are several talented European teams in Basketball which took part in the past World Championship: Lithuania, Serbia, Greece, Spain, Turkey, Russia, Germany, France, Croatia, Slovenia. I will call these teams Tier 1. These Tier 1 teams are really good and without them the World Championship would be dismal, even if Lithuania was gifted their World Championship spot by FIBA. Besides these teams which European teams missed out on the World Championships? Israel, Latvia, Poland, FYR Macedonia, UK, Bulgaria and even Italy which failed to qualify for the last Eurobasket. Let's call these Tier 2 teams. There is no way, none, in which winning the Eurobasket over the Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams is more prestigious than winning the World Championship over the same Tier 1 teams + USA, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, China, etc. These teams from outside of Europe far outweigh the competition added by the Tier 2 teams in Europe.

I can absolutely appreciate that winning the Eurobasket is a significant achievement which by no means can be compared to the tournament of the Americas, which is truly just a means of qualifying for the bigger tournaments. But I disagree that Eurobasket can be considered a bigger deal than the World Championships simly due to the stiffer competition plus the added coverage from around the globe.

It's an interesting stat that you brought up on how the World Championship got more viewers, internet hits, funding, etc. but we're not really comparing apples-to-apples. The World Championship is significantly longer, more teams, more games and that's why as a fan I enjoy it a bit more than the olympics. However, we'd need to look at comparable sample to make any conclusions, say the knock out round and even then the Olympics is hindered by additional exogenous variables such as the distraction of well, the other olympic games.
(Sep 14, 2010, 10:53 pm)forum troll Wrote: You say Olympics because you are Lithuanian. Like I said, the old propaganda culture of the Olympics. Most of the countries of the world don't give a damn about that Olympics propaganda nonsense. But countries like USA and Lithuania are absolutely positively obsessed with it.

You can't ignore what straight forward said. Lots of stars from many different countries missed WC this year. Those who haven't retired all plan to play in Eurobasket 2011 because they want to qualify for 2012 Olympics. They could have played in WC and then take a break in 2011, right? Of course there are different priorities in different countries but we must not be blind with the facts that are there.

It is more difficult to qualify for Olympics than it is for WC. Only 12 teams qualify to OG. Also OG is a much bigger event as a whole. Basketball is the most popular team sport in OG.

It's also natural that teams who rarely or never qualify to OG or have poor results when they qualify, see WC as a more important event. WC should be the most important basketball event just as World Cup in football. Its overall popularity is obviously growing but until we have senior squads in both OG and WC it would take more effort from FIBA to bring WC above OG.

WC might get more interest overall simply because there are twice more participants including more basketball powerhouses. While in OG there are only 12 teams so many people who watch WC don't watch OG or watch less games simply because their team isn't playing. For example, basketball fans in UK have great interest in BBL but a vast majority of them don't give a damn about EL because they never played there even though one would logically expect a 'basketball fan' in Europe to be interested in it. This isn't the best example but I'm just making my point clear.

(Sep 14, 2010, 10:53 pm)forum troll Wrote: Lithuania is still living in the past just like the US and still fighting the us against them, East against West nonsense that is the propaganda of the Olympics.

You got that one wrong. There is no "west against east" in Lithuania and there never as far as I remember (I'm not talking about soviet times). In fact, we don't see ourselves as "country of east" in general life, not only in sports.

All in all, there is no definite answer to the question since there are many different views around the world.
(Sep 14, 2010, 11:01 pm)straight forward Wrote: Well, I'm saying that because Lithuanian players pay more attention for Olympics, not for WC. Seems it's not opposite for other countries. What is your respond on Gasol, Parker, Dirk? BTW, when Ivkovic started new generation of Serbia in 2009, he said our goal is Olympic awards. Morst of the teams see these awards as the biggest thing, what kind of world are you talking about? Maybe the fact that Greece never reached final 4 in Olympics is the fact there's no propaganda in your country (I mean 00's) ? Smile

Why do you manipulate facts? 2002 and 2006 world championship those players all played. Players were also injured and/or ordered by their teams not to play. Stop twisting facts.

As for Serbia, that is based on the youth of the team. I see you have started to troll the forums here just like you do at interbasket.
DELETED
Besides, the 2010 World Championship was bigger than the Olympics basketball in 2008 was. More attendance, more TV viewership, made more money. So the whole question about what ESPN said is not debatable because what they said was factually true.
forum troll Wrote:Please use facts and logic. EVERY player being mentioned played in 2002 and 2006 world championship. So this false idea that some player skipped the 2010 world championship proves it is not important is absurd and ridiculous.

If some player skips the 2012 Olympics and plays the 2014 world championship then that means the Olympics does not matter using this failed logic.

Also, you expect players to play every tournament? Give me a break. That's ridiculous. And there is a clear twisting and manipulating of the facts in this thread. Players were injured and were ordered by their teams not to play.

So this entire argument is complete nonsense.

Lithuania views Olympics as a propaganda just like the US and China. I am sorry, but that's a fact.

I partly agree with you. This argument isn't totally wrong. Some of those players want to play in 2012 and they decided to take a break this year. Wouldn't playing now and retiring internationally after 2010 be a better option if we speak about which event is more important? If we searched for quotes by players from different NT's regarding the importance of certain tournament we might get a better idea I guess.

We should not forget that we are talking about a large group of players missing WC. It's not "some player not playing". The list pretty large.

All of the teams want to have their best squads in every tournament. But in those cases when the decision must be made whether to play in WC or in OG the latter is the priority.

(Sep 16, 2010, 8:17 pm)forum troll Wrote: Besides, the 2010 World Championship was bigger than the Olympics basketball in 2008 was. More attendance, more TV viewership, made more money. So the whole question about what ESPN said is not debatable because what they said was factually true.

I think I answered that in my previous post.

Quote:WC might get more interest overall simply because there are twice more participants including more basketball powerhouses. While in OG there are only 12 teams so many people who watch WC don't watch OG or watch less games simply because their team isn't playing. For example, basketball fans in UK have great interest in BBL but a vast majority of them don't give a damn about EL because they never played there even though one would logically expect a 'basketball fan' in Europe to be interested in it. This isn't the best example but I'm just making my point clear.
(Sep 16, 2010, 8:25 pm)Vilius Wrote: I partly agree with you. This argument isn't totally wrong. Some of those players want to play in 2012 and they decided to take a break this year. Wouldn't playing now and retiring internationally after 2010 be a better option if we speak about which event is more important? If we searched for quotes by players from different NT's regarding the importance of certain tournament we might get a better idea I guess.

We should not forget that we are talking about a large group of players missing WC. It's not "some player not playing". The list pretty large.

All of the teams want to have their best squads in every tournament. But in those cases when the decision must be made whether to play in WC or in OG the latter is the priority.

I think I answered that in my previous post.

If players are injured, if their team in the NBA orders them not to play, if they are too tired to play again after years of playing long seasons and in then summer, it does not mean that one tournament is "more important" than another. That's just complete nonsense.

Anyone that actually expects these players to play every single Olympics and World Championship is a fool. To then claim one tournament is "more important" if they missed it is just stupid. Especially when players were injured.

Besides that, NBA teams ordered some of them not to play. These same NBA teams have been telling players not to play at EVERY tournament. It just happened this time guys were negotiating new contracts.

In fact the Mavs and Spurs told their players NOT to play at the 2008 Olympics but they were not working on new contracts. So to claim this means "one tournament is more important" to those players is not only false, it's actually an insult to those players and a flat out lie.

The TRUTH = NBA CONTRACTS are more important to those players than anything related to their national teams or any such tournament.

It's really sad and pathetic that some people are trying to manipulate and distort what is blatantly obvious here.

The players will drop out of the Olympics with the speed of light if their NBA teams threaten their contracts over it. It does not have anything to do with this nonsense of imagination that some people in this thread are talking about.
This discussions seems to lead nowhere. We see the same facts in different perspectives.

Quote:FIBA Europe: Lithuania is one of those countries where basketball is immensely popular; do you think they are the right place for the first 24-team EuroBasket?

Svetislav Pesic: Since it was actually the Lithuanians who wanted the expansion most I think we could not have a better host for this project. They now have one year time to adapt to the new requirements which I think will be enough. Judging from what I saw in Vilnius during the U18 European Championship they are prepared and we will see a great tournament. Actually I think we will see an even better tournament than we saw in Turkey this year because with all the teams wanting to qualify for the Olympics I am sure that all the stars who sat out this year will be back next year. The Olympics are also a chance for smaller countries to get additional support for their infrastructure and youth programs with the National Olympic Committees putting more focus on basketball.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_cXohZVx3H...de_on.html
(Sep 16, 2010, 9:29 pm)Vilius Wrote: This discussions seems to lead nowhere. We see the same facts in different perspectives.

Quote:FIBA Europe: Lithuania is one of those countries where basketball is immensely popular; do you think they are the right place for the first 24-team EuroBasket?

Svetislav Pesic: Since it was actually the Lithuanians who wanted the expansion most I think we could not have a better host for this project. They now have one year time to adapt to the new requirements which I think will be enough. Judging from what I saw in Vilnius during the U18 European Championship they are prepared and we will see a great tournament. Actually I think we will see an even better tournament than we saw in Turkey this year because with all the teams wanting to qualify for the Olympics I am sure that all the stars who sat out this year will be back next year. The Olympics are also a chance for smaller countries to get additional support for their infrastructure and youth programs with the National Olympic Committees putting more focus on basketball.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_cXohZVx3H...de_on.html

What does that have to do with anything? You are not making any sense. All the teams wanted to qualify for the 2010 world championship also. Are you trying to say that they did not?
Has the expansion of the World Cup (former World Championship) and the name change affected the prestige of the tournament in relation to the Olympics?
(Dec 31, 2014, 2:57 pm)talkbasket Wrote: Has the expansion of the World Cup (former World Championship) and the name change affected the prestige of the tournament in relation to the Olympics?

I don't think so. If it does it won't affect things too much. Everything will still be the same.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments TalkBasket 0 126 Nov 22, 2023, 2:59 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Eleven countries interested in hosting FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 TalkBasket 1 2,117 Sep 19, 2023, 1:28 pm
Last Post: LettCat
  FIBA World Cup 2023 Quarterfinals: Let's Predict the Winners! 🏀 TalkBasket 0 214 Sep 4, 2023, 2:43 pm
  South American Basketball Championship (Brazil and Argentina) Abram Jones 0 1,501 Apr 3, 2019, 8:37 am
Last Post: Abram Jones
  FIBA World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers TalkBasket 1 2,671 Aug 24, 2018, 6:06 pm