Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 FIBA Americas Tournament
There are rumors that the US might skip the Americas tournament. This seems like a blown opportunity if they do. Why not take a team of guys who want to be considered for 2012 and see what they can do? This seems like an ideal opportunity for guys like Steph Curry and Danny Granger to prove to Coach K that he needs to consider them for the Olympics. The US could add guys who weren't able to make the games in Turkey, Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans, etc. and toss in a Rookie or two like John Wall. See what these guys can do in a FIBA tournament and then make an educated roster selection for the 2012 games.

I love basketball and international basketball is my favorite part of the game but there is no comparison to the passion involved in international football. Why is it that in football guys do whatever they can to play for their countries? They miss their club games, risk injury all for the honor of putting on the NT jersey. I understand that the basketball season is long, especially for the players in the NBA but for teams playing in the Champions League or UEFA Europa league the schedule can be brutal.

Compare the US football team to the basketball team. Landon Donovan is by far the best US player yet there are other good American players who can play his position just not quite as good. Nevertheless, Donovan plays when the US plays irrespective of the opponent. There are plenty of instances when the US could have easily beaten their opponent without Dononvan but he's still in there. It's a different level of pride. I also love how in football teams are constantly looking for new pieces and trying to build the chemistry that works the best. Your spot in the starting lineup is always on the line for somebody who may fit in a bit better.

I would love if tournament qualification was spread out throughout the year. This will never happen in basketball namely because of the NBA, but it would do wonders for enabling a year round competitive spirit.
I think they missed another one recently...

It's stupid because in America they consider this competition as a qualifying competiton to either WC or Olympics, while in Europe they see Eurobasket for what it is, European Championship...

Also all the leagues of the world are subject to FIBA, and if they refuse to let a player play for his NT they will get severely punished...

NBA doesn't answer to FIBA, so they do what they want.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Yeah I agree, why miss a chance at using players that perhaps later mature into something really good? Say D-league, CBA level, NCAA kids where international games could just be what they need to get behind them?
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
[quote name='skangles' timestamp='1284512932' post='24988']

There are rumors that the US might skip the Americas tournament. This seems like a blown opportunity if they do. Why not take a team of guys who want to be considered for 2012 and see what they can do? This seems like an ideal opportunity for guys like Steph Curry and Danny Granger to prove to Coach K that he needs to consider them for the Olympics. The US could add guys who weren't able to make the games in Turkey, Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans, etc. and toss in a Rookie or two like John Wall. See what these guys can do in a FIBA tournament and then make an educated roster selection for the 2012 games.

I love basketball and international basketball is my favorite part of the game but there is no comparison to the passion involved in international football. Why is it that in football guys do whatever they can to play for their countries? They miss their club games, risk injury all for the honor of putting on the NT jersey. I understand that the basketball season is long, especially for the players in the NBA but for teams playing in the Champions League or UEFA Europa league the schedule can be brutal.

Compare the US football team to the basketball team. Landon Donovan is by far the best US player yet there are other good American players who can play his position just not quite as good. Nevertheless, Donovan plays when the US plays irrespective of the opponent. There are plenty of instances when the US could have easily beaten their opponent without Dononvan but he's still in there. It's a different level of pride. I also love how in football teams are constantly looking for new pieces and trying to build the chemistry that works the best. Your spot in the starting lineup is always on the line for somebody who may fit in a bit better.

I would love if tournament qualification was spread out throughout the year. This will never happen in basketball namely because of the NBA, but it would do wonders for enabling a year round competitive spirit.

[/quote]

I'm glad that USA is missing the tourney. I like international competition too. Last i heard only the top two Americas championship winners i.e. (gold,silver) get to qualify for the olympics. USA would most likely win gold or silver in this tourney meaning one less country from this part of the world will get a chance to win a medal and qualify for the olypics. USA has already qualified with a gold medal in the WC. I'd like to see smaller countries like Puerto Rico have a chance. I also think USA should be more involved in Americas tourney BUT sitting out this year isn't a bad idea. I will still miss seeing them play. :-(
[quote name='Black Urum' timestamp='1284534777' post='24991']

I think they missed another one recently...

It's stupid because in America they consider this competition as a qualifying competiton to either WC or Olympics, while in Europe they see Eurobasket for what it is, European Championship...

Also all the leagues of the world are subject to FIBA, and if they refuse to let a player play for his NT they will get severely punished...

NBA doesn't answer to FIBA, so they do what they want.

[/quote]

It's not "totally" stupid. I think you would agree that Americas Championship is inferior to Eurobasket. Sure Europeans may look at Eurobasket "for what it is". Europe competition is far superior than the Americas championship. It's more difficult for countries over here to make it to world cup or Olympics because our championship has less quality. Europe gets more spots as they deserve it. So you can not blame American countries for looking at this as an oppurtunity to show the world what they have. I'd like to see Puerto Rico make it to the Olympic games.

Thinking about it Eurobasket competition is greater than North and South America combined in fact you can add up all the continents of the world team by team and Europe is still better. Europe is greater than Americas + Asia + Africa + Austrailia.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments TalkBasket 0 127 Nov 22, 2023, 2:59 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  FIBA rankings ZEUS 22 16,912 Oct 4, 2023, 1:34 pm
  Eleven countries interested in hosting FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 TalkBasket 1 2,117 Sep 19, 2023, 1:28 pm
Last Post: LettCat
  FIBA World Cup 2023 Quarterfinals: Let's Predict the Winners! 🏀 TalkBasket 0 215 Sep 4, 2023, 2:43 pm
  FIBA World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers TalkBasket 1 2,675 Aug 24, 2018, 6:06 pm