Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA basketball being run by referees
I was reading a somewhat interesting article of George Vasilakopoulos, ex FIBA Europe general secretary. He became president of the Greek basketball federation once more. What he did talk about, and that I found highly interesting was that at least all high-ranking officials of FIBA were referees in the past, even Bauman, the current FIBA general secretary was a retired ref in his native Switzerland. It got me thinking, how in the world can basketball officials like refs then enter the pantheon of FIBA's hall of fame??? The game should ONLY be about the players (that's why they are called that), and coaches to a lesser extent. If any official should be given any honourable mention it should be someone who contributed profoundly to the improvement of international basketball globally, but certainly NOT someone who was a lifelong referee!!! Refereeing has been a highly debatable issue in many countries, and it seems that the refs in sport have formed their own 'gangs' of support. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in many sports not just basketball.

We are talking about people who are just accessories in a game of basketball, they are not under the limelight for any good reasons, only when their officiating is bad, suspiciously one-sided, etc.

Anyone have any clue about how this situation came about and refs reign supreme in sport? Angry Blink
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Quote:I was reading a somewhat interesting article of George Vasilakopoulos, ex FIBA Europe general secretary. He became president of the Greek basketball federation once more. What he did talk about, and that I found highly interesting was that at least all high-ranking officials of FIBA were referees in the past, even Bauman, the current FIBA general secretary was a retired ref in his native Switzerland. It got me thinking, how in the world can basketball officials like refs then enter the pantheon of FIBA's hall of fame??? The game should ONLY be about the players (that's why they are called that), and coaches to a lesser extent. If any official should be given any honourable mention it should be someone who contributed profoundly to the improvement of international basketball globally, but certainly NOT someone who was a lifelong referee!!! Refereeing has been a highly debatable issue in many countries, and it seems that the refs in sport have formed their own 'gangs' of support. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in many sports not just basketball.

We are talking about people who are just accessories in a game of basketball, they are not under the limelight for any good reasons, only when their officiating is bad, suspiciously one-sided, etc.

Anyone have any clue about how this situation came about and refs reign supreme in sport? Angry Blink

Many of the refs are obviously connected to the mafia. So of course they will eventually get in powerful positions. We all saw how rigged the 2010 FIBA World Championship was.
This is sad....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education & Basketball BBall_Academy_Northants 3 3,324 Sep 15, 2022, 11:10 am
Last Post: JakeRider
  Basketball Blogs Black Urum 9 11,645 Nov 27, 2020, 10:05 pm
Last Post: gabeball
  Kids summer basketball camps Spain Peekachoona 2 2,956 May 29, 2020, 5:14 am
Last Post: Unbeatable Hoops
Basketball Suggested Update In Basketball Rules Abram Jones 0 2,089 Apr 17, 2018, 7:13 am
Last Post: Abram Jones
  new online basketball manager game magnus01 1 3,695 Apr 3, 2018, 12:38 am
Last Post: zamek9