Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECA Board reviews financial performance, new initiatives
Quote:Economic performance and a major new global initiative were the main subjects on the agenda of the Euroleague Basketball Commercial Assets Board at its meeting in Barcelona, Spain on Tuesday. The board heard positive reports on both the recent financial performance of the basketball competitions it oversees, the Turkish Airlines Euroleague and the Eurocup, as well as on economic projections for the coming season. Included in the discussion was the new Game of the Week project in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague, which will commence with the opening game of the continent's top competition, Olympiacos Piraeus vs. Real Madrid, on Monday, October 18.

The board was presented first with financial results from the 2009-2010 season that exceeded expectations budgeted for that year. For the coming season, Euroleague Basketball reported to the board an expected increase of 20% in overall revenues as compared to 2009-10. The improvement includes a year-to-year increase of 22% in television rights income, while sponsorship income is expected to grow by 73% in 2010-11.

When the subject was future economic projections for 2010-11, the news was even better when measured against the five-year plan approved by the board in 2008. Revenues from sponsorship agreements in the coming year are expected to be 30% above the most optimistic targets set in the five-year plan. Among event revenues, projected income from the Final Four is already 2% higher than the most optimistic 2012-13 targets. Overall, Euroleague Basketball expects its 2010-11 income to outpace its hoped-for long-range performance by 17%.

The board also reviewed the imminent launch of an important new audio-visual platform, the Turkish Airlines Euroleague Game of the Week, which will broadcast the competition's teams and sponsors to 200 countries around the world. The Game of the Week will be a specially produced television product to showcase the competition's one-of-a-kind atmosphere, its star players and their clubs while offering a new platform for enhanced exposure of sponsors to all five continents.

The Euroleague Commercial Assets Board is made up of Euroleague Basketball clubs and national leagues from around the continent. Attending the Board meeting on Tuesday were:

Radovan Lorbek (ABA)
Jan Pommer (BBL)
Ferdinando Minucci (Montepaschi Siena)
Silvia Rodriguez and Jorge Perez (Real Madrid)
Shimon Mizrahi (Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv)
Arkadiusz Lewandowski (Asseco Prokom)
Natalia Furaeva (CSKA)
Engin Ozerhun (Efes Pilsen)
Christos Stavropoulos (Olympiacos)
Josean Querejeta and Carlos Izar (Saski Baskonia)
Djilali Meziane (LNB )

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Euroleague
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
Quote:Euroleague

Very interesting read. I like what they are saying, it is encouraging to hear that EL basketball is doing good, and doing better every year.

We need to have a good league, if we want to keep our young talent for longer which will in turn make the league better for us fans. Instead of NBA taking our players, i hope one day we will take theirs Laugh

They certainly need to do more, to show the game on other continets, and make it a more recognizable brand.
I agree this is great for basketball!! I'm excited to see increase interest in basketball as a sport! I wish the best for Euroleague! I'm hoping increase in interest of basketball in other continents follows too! Just imagine if basketball was more popular in Asia and Africa. This is an exciting article.

@@Fantastic Freak: Hey you can have NBA players now. I will trade you Kobe Bryant for Milos Teodosic. Biggrin Milos is great!
I would love to see how Euroleague become strong with European players from NBA.
Quote:I would love to see how Euroleague become strong with European players from NBA.

Why just European players? I think that Josh Childress was a nice addition to the Euroleague. It would be nice to see a bigger name NBA player pull a "David Beckham" and head to Europe while still somewhat in their prime.

With the NBA lockout looming next season we may see some NBA free agents come over next summer.
Quote:Why just European players? I think that Josh Childress was a nice addition to the Euroleague. It would be nice to see a bigger name NBA player pull a "David Beckham" and head to Europe while still somewhat in their prime.

With the NBA lockout looming next season we may see some NBA free agents come over next summer.

Ok.And some good Americans.And from China(for economic profit).
Personally I don't like the NBA players coming to the Euroleague and/or Eurocup. They start to ruin the style of the game play. Delfino and Arroyo for example were enormous ball hogs and chuckers and it just ruined the offensive flow of their teams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  With Aito still on board, ALBA readies for new season EuroLeague News 0 668 Aug 24, 2020, 2:40 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  https://www.worldhealthpedia.com/boilx-reviews/ barpshfn 0 1,074 Feb 14, 2020, 4:36 pm
Last Post: barpshfn
  Financial Fair Play developments regarding Olympiacos and Panathinaikos EuroLeague News 0 912 Feb 4, 2020, 10:15 am
  Experts Round Table: Who will have next breakout performance? EuroLeague News 0 1,057 Oct 28, 2019, 7:34 am
  Euroleague Basketball applies financial fair play sanctions EuroLeague News 0 1,030 Apr 24, 2019, 11:49 am