Poll: Right or wrong?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
He should stay in Moscow
75.00%
6 75.00%
Greece is his home
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Papaloukas' return to Greece: mistake or right decision?
Papaloukas says this will be his last year of basketball, at least in Greece. I think he must retire playing for CSKA to correct a historical injustice to European basketball.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

(Oct 11, 2010, 5:13 pm)Black Urum Wrote: Papaloukas says this will be his last year of basketball, at least in Greece. I think he must retire playing for CSKA to correct a historical injustice to European basketball.

Which is the historical injustice you are talking about??
(Oct 12, 2010, 12:44 am)miss green Wrote: Which is the historical injustice you are talking about??

That he returned to Greece instead of staying in Moscow and becoming one of the greatest legends of European basketball.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

(Oct 12, 2010, 5:25 am)Black Urum Wrote: That he returned to Greece instead of staying in Moscow and becoming one of the greatest legends of European basketball.

Šaras and Šiškauskas did not bother themselves with teams colours and grabbed titles with different teams, Papaloukas had a chance to do the same, but he is simply not that great.
(Oct 12, 2010, 9:49 am)straight forward Wrote: Šaras and Šiškauskas did not bother themselves with teams colours and grabbed titles with different teams, Papaloukas had a chance to do the same, but he is simply not that great.

Papaloukas was a great tool for CSKA. It is not fair to say that he is not as great as Saras and Siska because he didn't choose the right team for him after leaving Russia. I believe his talent is indisputable! I agree that a criterion of a player's successful career is the number of titles he has but it is not a criterion of his talent and value!
(Oct 12, 2010, 9:49 am)straight forward Wrote: Šaras and Šiškauskas did not bother themselves with teams colours and grabbed titles with different teams, Papaloukas had a chance to do the same, but he is simply not that great.

So is JR Holden. But he is a legend and will be remembered by millions. Cause he didn't do injustice to himself and made the right decision, eventhough difficult ones. He could as well leave cold Russia, he too could leave for Olympiacos dollars (they wanted him), but he didn't.

Due to his right choices he even got himself a Greek A1 title, something which Papaloukas didn't.

(Oct 12, 2010, 3:36 pm)Black Urum Wrote: So is JR Holden. But he is a legend and will be remembered by millions. Cause he didn't do injustice to himself and made the right decision, eventhough difficult ones. He could as well leave cold Russia, he too could leave for Olympiacos dollars (they wanted him), but he didn't.

Due to his right choices he even got himself a Greek A1 title, something which Papaloukas didn't.

Papaloukas has managed to participate in final four 8 times in a row (the last two as a player of Olympiakos), as many times as Holden. This is a great achievement so he didn't do that great "injustice" to himself. He just happens to be greek and since Olympiacos plays a leading role in Euroleague imo he made a right choice at the time. I think that he didn't manage to make the team count on him and this will be even more difficult to happen after signing Spanoulis.
Judging by the result (1 Greek cup in two seasons) he didn't do the right choice. That is why I spoke of injustice both to himself and basketball. And this is exactly why he said he will leave Greece again because of the situation. So he is obviously regretting his decision.

Papaloukas said no such thing as this would be his last year in Greece. I watched the press conference and he said it it MIGHT be his last year possibly in Greece and with Olympiacos because his contract ends after the season. He said no such thing as this will definitely be his last year in Greece.

Papaloukas had a better career overall than Siska. Career wise it would be:

1. Saras

2. Papaloukas

3. Siska
How did we get on topic of comparing Saras, Papaloukas and Siskauskas? Siskauskas has nothing in common with Saras or Paploukas, he's a completely different type of player.
People minds work in mysterious ways.

(Oct 31, 2010, 7:21 pm)skangles Wrote: How did we get on topic of comparing Saras, Papaloukas and Siskauskas? Siskauskas has nothing in common with Saras or Paploukas, he's a completely different type of player.

Easily. All of them where different makers in Euroleague's champs teams Smile

But the thing is that Šiška and Papaloukas are still playing and Šaras might play as well, so their career is still going on. I don't know about Papaloukas, but Šiška is still surely a different maker and IMO this season CSKA is favourite No. 1 to win Euroleague.
(Nov 2, 2010, 9:08 pm)straight forward Wrote: Easily. All of them where different makers in Euroleague's champs teams Smile

But the thing is that Šiška and Papaloukas are still playing and Šaras might play as well, so their career is still going on. I don't know about Papaloukas, but Šiška is still surely a different maker and IMO this season CSKA is favourite No. 1 to win Euroleague.

CSKA is too old and they have too many injuries. I think the 8 straight final fours ends this year. Everyone is just thinking they are so great this year because they almost beat Miami in Miami and because they beat Cleveland in Cleveland and that was with injuries. But it really means nothing because the difference in level between the NBA and Euroleague these days is nothing but the imagination of NBA fans.

IMHO, in reality, CSKA is too old and too injury prone to make the Final Four in Euroleague this year. On the other hand, I think Olympiacos should make it. So I think Holden and CSKA stop their streak at 8 straight Final Fours and I think Papaloukas makes it 9 in a row.
This is off topic, but CSKA can't be too old: Kaun, Khriapa, Voronsevich, Marjanovic (too bad he's slow, he could be dominant international center) + probably the most athletic point guard in Euroleaue Gordon. And off course old gang. They are locked for final 4, IMO. All their players will play when it will matter. Olymiacos isn't that convincing on the paper this year, IMO. We'll see.
(Nov 3, 2010, 10:35 am)straight forward Wrote: This is off topic, but CSKA can't be too old: Kaun, Khriapa, Voronsevich, Marjanovic (too bad he's slow, he could be dominant international center) + probably the most athletic point guard in Euroleaue Gordon. And off course old gang. They are locked for final 4, IMO. All their players will play when it will matter. Olymiacos isn't that convincing on the paper this year, IMO. We'll see.

If the players overcome their injury soon and there will be no more injuries then CSKA has chances to reach f4. Otherwise, imo there is no hope for the team. I believe Olympiacos is better this year so possibly will reach f4 again.
(Nov 3, 2010, 10:35 am)straight forward Wrote: This is off topic, but CSKA can't be too old: Kaun, Khriapa, Voronsevich, Marjanovic (too bad he's slow, he could be dominant international center) + probably the most athletic point guard in Euroleaue Gordon. And off course old gang. They are locked for final 4, IMO. All their players will play when it will matter. Olymiacos isn't that convincing on the paper this year, IMO. We'll see.

CSKA is a very old team. I will just assume that you have not seen them play at all this year. Sure they beat a crap team like the Cavs, but with all their injuries and old players they are not Final Four material in Euroleague. They might not even be Top 16 material.
Disagree with you guys here - they have all they need to beat the shit out of any Euroleague team including Barsa. Sure, if all will be healthy. Mark my words Smile
(Nov 3, 2010, 11:03 pm)straight forward Wrote: Disagree with you guys here - they have all they need to beat the shit out of any Euroleague team including Barsa. Sure, if all will be healthy. Mark my words Smile

Langdon is washed up. Smodis is totally washed up. Holden is totally washed up. Siska is still very good when healthy, but he is already reaching that stage where his body is wearing down and breaking down. He won't be that effective after his injury either probably.

Khyrapa is great still, but he has had a bad injury and won't be effective probably for awhile at least when he returns. Kaun is out for 3 months.

That leaves Sokolov, Gordon, Bykov, Kaun, Vorontsevich, Kurbanov, Schved, Zabelin, Marjanovic to really carry the team for now to be honest. Because the truth is that Langdon, Holden, and Smodis are way past their prime and simply can't do it anymore.

Out of that group, the only players that really are capable of producing at the Euroleague level consistently right now are Gordon, Bykov, Sokolov, Vorontsevich, and Kurbanov. The rest are too young and too raw and don't have it yet for the level.

It's a borderline Top 16 team and nothing more with what they have right now.
I still think Langdon. Holden and Smodis will tell their words in do or die games (when youngster will shake their legs) and Siskauskas is still the best player in Euroleague with Navarro, IMO. But let's not go too far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Four return title-chasers: 'Motivation is huge' EuroLeague News 0 363 Jun 3, 2021, 5:36 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Saras, Abrines anticipate Gasol's return EuroLeague News 0 508 Mar 2, 2021, 1:59 am
  Basketball world celebrates Gasol's Barca return EuroLeague News 0 553 Feb 26, 2021, 8:26 pm
  CSKA opens pre-season - with Coach Itoudis in Greece EuroLeague News 0 733 Aug 18, 2020, 1:27 pm
  101 Greats: Theodoros Papaloukas EuroLeague News 0 715 Jul 29, 2020, 6:35 pm