Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Loss for your Favorite Team?
What's the biggest, most painful loss that your favorite team endured?

-Scout
Last final of Greek A1 in 1996, Olympiacos 73-38 Panathinaikos

Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Quote:What's the biggest, most painful loss that your favorite team endured?

-Scout

Definitely,(19/5/1996) Olympiakos-PAO 73-38 at the 5th and last game of the finals of the greek championship 1995-1996.

PAO had won it's first European Championship and all of us expected the team to win the greek championship too even though Olympiakos had home advantage. Unfortunately, Dominique didn't play at this game (he was in America for health issues as I recall....) and PAO reviled by them. It was really painful to watch!!!!
Dominique was in USA because he had a fall-out with Maljkovic.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

Quote:Definitely,(19/5/1996) Olympiakos-PAO 73-38 at the 5th and last game of the finals of the greek championship 1995-1996.

PAO had won it's first European Championship and all of us expected the team to win the greek championship too even though Olympiakos had home advantage. Unfortunately, Dominique didn't play at this game (he was in America for health issues as I recall....) and PAO reviled by them. It was really painful to watch!!!!

Do You mean Dominique Wilkins?? He was an amazing player! One of my favorites of all time. He is in the hall of fame for basketball. 'Nique!
Quote:Do You mean Dominique Wilkins?? He was an amazing player! One of my favorites of all time. He is in the hall of fame for basketball. 'Nique!

Yes, him. He was 1996 Euroleague Final Four MVP. Then he said he had enough of "being treated like a dog, and not getting passes" and left.

Quote:Dominique was in USA because he had a fall-out with Maljkovic.

There are a lot of rumours about that..From an interview:"I left Greece before the fifth final of the championship. Immediately, everyone began to throw mud. All week I tried to practice but I could not perform because I was injured. When I asked them to leave, I left with the permission of both the coach and administration"

Imo there were no health issues, I was just sarcastic..
9-1-2006 I have many heart breaking moments. This is the most recent and powerful. 2006 WC USA NT vs Greek NT. USA was defeated in the worst way. Greeks had better strategy. Greeks just out matched us. I remember the look of confusion on our players faces. It was obvious that we could not beat these guys. This is one of the most important lost in recent USA basketball history. If it were not for loses of this nature USA Basketball would still be inferior. We learned much in the last 10 years and even more in the last 4yrs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xl8K_snWHs
I think this was the last defeat of USA... A great day for Greek basketball needless to say. I remember ecstatic people in basketball forums with tons of new people registering and a new generation of basketball fans created.

Maccabi-Hapoel league final in Nokia, 2007. Hapoel led the entire game, Maccabi got their first lead of a game 2 seconds to the end off an offensive rebound by Jamie Arnold. He got fouled as well, scored the free throw and the game was over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52vXpwLIk...re=related
Quote:I think this was the last defeat of USA... A great day for Greek basketball needless to say. I remember ecstatic people in basketball forums with tons of new people registering and a new generation of basketball fans created.

USA didn't belong in the same gym as the Greeks that day. I've watched the game over and over and we couldn't have won that day. USA had the wrong philosphy. That's awesome that people on the Greek side were getting excited about basketball. After the pain wore off I became curious, started keeping up with Greek league teams PAO and Olympiacos. Dry
Loss to Maccabi in last season of Sabas' career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxq41-rsEv0

And off course 2004 semi final against Italy when all Lithuania didn't want to see anything less than Olympic gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvX5xD0klM

Bloody 2004...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite vert. program? KobeRoools 2 3,053 Nov 27, 2020, 6:09 pm
Last Post: gabeball
  What is your favorite basketball movies?? Raze Lupin 14 9,562 Nov 21, 2013, 6:46 am
Last Post: KelPark17
  New: basketball team will be managed online by fans realitysport 2 3,230 Mar 22, 2013, 5:18 pm
Last Post: CoachSteve
  "Who Else Wants To Become The QUICKEST Player On Their Team?" ky2330 0 2,170 May 29, 2012, 7:11 am
Last Post: ky2330
  The best on your team hjalte 1 2,557 Feb 17, 2012, 3:44 pm
Last Post: cl00rm