Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious Question: Why Are American NBA Fans So Damn Arrogant?
I am reading through different sites, and in EVERY one of the American basketball forums they are claiming Allen Iverson is the best player in Europe, the best player to ever play in Europe, etc................

The level of arrogance, ignorance, and delusion seems to literally know no bounds with the average American NBA fan whenever it comes to anything NBA compared to European basketball. Suggesting that Iverson is the best player to ever play in Europe is insane. Even saying he is the best player in Europe now is IMHO absolutely freaking ridiculous.

American NBA fans, please explain this crap to me. The level of absurd overrating of everything NBA has reached an unacceptable level at this point and now it is just going into outright blatant racism, xenophobia and patriotic bashing.
Americans have no idea that very good players play in Europe.When was voting on NBA site "Who is best player outside of NBA?".They have voted about 50% that is Ricky Rubio?!?! Rofl3 That is so funny.He has talent but not even in top 5 of best players in Europe. Mellow
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Nov 17, 2010, 12:20 pm)stefans Wrote: Americans have no idea that very good players play in Europe.When was voting on NBA site "Who is best player outside of NBA?".They have voted about 50% that is Ricky Rubio?!?! Rofl3 That is so funny.He has talent but not even in top 5 of best players in Europe. Mellow

What? You can't be serious? They voted like that? Why was Rubio even on the poll? He's like the 10th best player on his own team. It just proves how incredibly delusional NBA fans in the US are about basketball in Europe.
(Nov 18, 2010, 10:35 am)forum troll Wrote: What? You can't be serious? They voted like that? Why was Rubio even on the poll? He's like the 10th best player on his own team. It just proves how incredibly delusional NBA fans in the US about basketball in Europe.

I'm serious.it was about month ago.For this news.And i can't find.

But that is the poll Rubio is on top.And only because he is young and have good game in final 2008. Bag
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
The answer is simple: they do care only about NBA. And to be honest, after all these Olympics when USA dominated, could you blame them? Of course, from these days perspective fans should know that there are many very strong players outside NBA. Still most of Americans do not know anything about international BB, so how can they vote for Šiškauskas or DD when these two never played in NBA?

Another funny moment: when Kleiza with Nuggets played in some game (three years ago) a lot of Lithuanian fans came to support him. After the game NBA reporters interviewed the fans while asking such question - "Kleiza is definitely the best Lithuanian player, right?". And it was so funny to see their reaction when Lithuanian fans said "not even close" Smile (At that time there was plenty of better players. And even these days Šiškauskas is still better). The reporters forgot even the freaking Ilgauskas who at that time still was the contender for East all star centers.
(Nov 18, 2010, 4:45 pm)straight forward Wrote: The answer is simple: they do care only about NBA. And to be honest, after all these Olympics when USA dominated, could you blame them? Of course, from these days perspective fans should know that there are many very strong players outside NBA. Still most of Americans do not know anything about international BB, so how can they vote for Šiškauskas or DD when these two never played in NBA?

Another funny moment: when Kleiza with Nuggets played in some game (three years ago) a lot of Lithuanian fans came to support him. After the game NBA reporters interviewed the fans while asking such question - "Kleiza is definitely the best Lithuanian player, right?". And it was so funny to see their reaction when Lithuanian fans said "not even close" Smile (At that time there was plenty of better players. And even these days Šiškauskas is still better). The reporters forgot even the freaking Ilgauskas who at that time still was the contender for East all star centers.

But that still does not explain why they are that way with their attitude? It must have something racist behind it, otherwise it is totally illogical.

NBA fans are saying that Euroleague champions cannot even beat an average NCAA team. This is after the Euroleague champs beat the Lakers. There is no way these opinions can be based on anything rational. They are simply illogically biased against European basketball.

I think it is because most players in Europe are white. I think it is that simple. In the US, they believe that ONLY black Americans can play basketball. Go to any American NBA forum and talk about Euroleague players and the racist comments from NBA fans just start flying.
(Nov 19, 2010, 12:39 am)forum troll Wrote: NBA fans are saying that Euroleague champions cannot even beat an average NCAA team. This is after the Euroleague champs beat the Lakers. There is no way these opinions can be based on anything rational. They are simply illogically biased against European basketball.

I don't think that's the basic attitude of NCAA or NBA fans. On other hand, I do believe Americans underrate Euroleague teams, specially these well organised teams.
I think this attitude is derived from familiarity. Everybody knows Iverson and most of the other players that Americans would know have since returned to the NBA (Kleiza, Childress, Delfino). The only other name that would be common to American fans that jumps out at me on first thought is Garbajosa. Saras didn't really do anything in the NBA so I don't know that he left a lasting impression on US fans. Other names that may be familiar to US fans are draft picks who have never played in the NBA (Rubio, Vazquez) and former NCAA standouts (Langdon, etc.). The only real exposure to other players that Americans have is in international tournaments; however, the TV coverage is limited to team USA games and the medal rounds which limits the ability to familiarize with European players.

Secondly, Allen Iverson is the highest profile player in Europe. He is a big time name because of the player that he USED TO BE. Apparantly people are forgeting the last two seasons. Iverson is one of the most gifted offensive players of all time because of the speed and quickness that he once had. That's not ignoring his lousy attitude and massive ego nor the fact that he has always been a major liability on defense.

I think some people are living in the past. Had Iverson made this move 5 years ago it would have been massive and had he made the move 10 years ago when he was really at his prime it would have been completely insane. The guy is a legend and this is the final chapter of his career. He is a big time signing who was once an elite player.
This is a good thread.

Most all of us Americans just arent shown much Euro basketball. So the average NBA or basketball fan doesnt know how good ball is elsewhere. For fans to be ignorant about it, thats just people being people saying shit they have no idea about.

I also coach an AAU basketball team and a lot of my kids go overseas after college, and they say its great competition.

AI is at the end of his career. I saw highlights of his first game where he had 15 the other day and most of his points came from the 3 land if Im not mistaken. Hes not as quick and athletic as he was in his prime..
I came upon this thread and had to throw in my two cents...

- This is similar to Europeans thinking that David Beckham is the best player in the MLS. Those who watch soccer here (there's more of us than you think) know that's not true, and that he's past his prime and more of an attraction than anything else -- Just like Iverson.

With that said, I don't know much about European basketball. I do know is that the Timberwolves drafted Ricky Rubio in the top 5 picks, so I'd assume he'd be one of the top players over there.

Also, the game is different. American and International basketball are played with a completely different style and even with some different rules.
Beckham is a joke here... only English sissies think he is a good player...
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

The NBA games are very arcade. in NBA there is bad defense. many of teams in europe can beat the NBA teams.
(Apr 30, 2011, 8:03 am)basket Wrote: The NBA games are very arcade. in NBA there is bad defense. many of teams in europe can beat the NBA teams.

Do not confuse difference in rules of NBA with the capability of it's players. NBA playoff defense is a high level. I have not seen the same intensity in Euroleague playoffs this year. European teams can beat American teams. This is been true for a long time. LA lost to FCB last summer. My question is can the top teams in Euroleague beat the top teams in NBA in a 5 or 7 game series?? I don't see any of the final four EL teams winning a series with any of the NBA play off teams with the exception of the New York Knicks. Any of the final four could beat the Knicks I'd give the odds at 50%. Any other team I'd give 80%-90% to NBA. My reasoning is superior defensive transitions of NBA players. I'm watching Euroleague right now PAO vs FCB final four qualification game. Earlier I watched NBA Miami Heat vs Boston Celtics and OKC Thunder vs Mephis Grizzlies. PAO nor FCB could beat Miami in 7 game series. The NBA teams would make it very difficult for EL teams to score.
With European rules TOP Euroleague teams could beat Heat, I'm pretty sure of that. Smile

And best of NCAA teams could barely play in Euroleague, I think, the best of NCAA could be EuroCup level teams while other absolutely not in the same line. NCAA rules is different also and the most of NCAA players couldn't play using FIBA rules while the most of Europeans could play with NCAA rules.

What's on topic: they just simply don't know or just has no idea what basketball is in Europe.
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
(Nov 18, 2010, 4:45 pm)straight forward Wrote: The answer is simple: they do care only about NBA. And to be honest, after all these Olympics when USA dominated, could you blame them?

Of Course you cannot blame them. They did an absolutely fantastic job at the Olympics, this is the proof of it - http://www.olympic.org/basketball-basketball-men

They did dominate the Olympics, even when they played the finals vs Spain (if you click in all videos you can find it).
There is definitely a lot of talent in Europe, but as an American you have to understand that the only time we see Europeans play is when it's someone like Dirk in the NBA (and besides Dirk these guys usually aren't the best on their respective teams) and in the Olympics. That's it, the sample size is so small. Also, in America we, not me personally but Americans in general, put a high value on "Star-Power" and highlight reel capability. I think we all can agree that the NBA is far superior in those two factors. Now when it comes to defense, ball movement, outside shooting and team play we don't get as excited... Which is kind of stupid seeing as how the team who just won the NBA Championship was dominated in the former categories but excelled in the latter. But make no mistake about it, the NBA is by far the best basketball league on the planet.... It's just not as far superior as most Americans believe.
Who the hell really cares if they're arrogant or not? They didn't even invent the game.. Case closed.. Rofl3
(Dec 28, 2010, 2:21 pm)Black Urum Wrote: Beckham is a joke here... only English sissies think he is a good player...

Actually they don't, they were more obsessed with him and his wife Victoria, being a constantly gossiped about couple, but it had nothing to do with Beckham being a good footballer or not, but more with how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ he was earning, especially from advertising. Quite impressive stuff for a 'man' that speaks like a woman xP
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
I wouldn't say that AI's popularity among American fans is a result of arrogance or patriotism as much as it is a product of ignorance. We don't see a lot of Euro league games here in the states and when we do we don't know what we're watching because the structure of your league can be very confusing to newcomers. Maybe this is my ignorance speaking, but there seems to be better entertainment value in American basketball. I love the creativity and cerebral aspects of the international game, but I often find myself turned off by how post play and penetration devolve into wrestling matches. For example: I think I was watching Lithuania play the US in 2008 and they had this hulking white guy who had little to no offensive talent but played 3/4 of the game because he was a great bruiser. Anytime somewhere came within a yard of him he'd just slam into them. That's not fun to watch. I'd like to point out that watching Greece and Spain play in 2004 are some of my fondest basketball memories and that three of my four favorite players were born outside of the US.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!!!!!!!! I run an NBA website/podcast called Showtime NBA Podcast. You can find us at showtimenbapodcast.com and you can subscribe to us at ShowtimeNBAPodcast on iTunes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nets' Kyrie Irving FAQ: Home games in question, trade talk, contract status and more ESPN NBA 0 278 Oct 9, 2021, 1:01 am
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  Silver: Thanks to fans, NBA slowed financial woes ESPN NBA 0 245 Jul 8, 2021, 12:42 pm
  Indiana fans build Assembly Hall shrine to lure Brad Stevens ESPN NBA 0 474 Mar 21, 2021, 6:50 am
  No fans at Bucks home games to start season ESPN NBA 0 652 Nov 24, 2020, 9:36 am
  Champ Lakers won't host fans until further notice ESPN NBA 0 642 Nov 12, 2020, 8:17 pm