Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Coaches to NBA
Do you guys think that there will be any European coaches that will go to the NBA to go and coach an NBA-team?

Which coach could be NBA coach right now and which team would he coach?
I think Messina is the closer one, because he has had clinics with various NBA coaches and has a good name and is interested in doing so.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

A European coach going to NBA should either choose a weak team or a team with lots of foreigners otherwise there's a huge risk that the players will 'reject' him due to their huge egos. I don't think I need to go into more detail why I think so.

The impression I get is that NBA coaches mainly work on motivation and encouragement of their players and a little bit on simple tactics (no offence, but to me such way of coaching looks more like a joke than coaching). Imagine if Messina, who is touted as a tactical genius, would go to NBA. How much of his knowledge he would be able to use there? What if he starts the way that he started with Real Madrid?

But if a coach goes to the right team he might bring some fresh air to NBA and cause some upsets. That's what I'd like to see.
Quote:A European coach going to NBA should either choose a weak team or a team with lots of foreigners otherwise there's a huge risk that the players will 'reject' him due to their huge egos. I don't think I need to go into more detail why I think so.

The impression I get is that NBA coaches mainly work on motivation and encouragement of their players and a little bit on simple tactics (no offence, but to me such way of coaching looks more like a joke than coaching). Imagine if Messina, who is touted as a tactical genius, would go to NBA. How much of his knowledge he would be able to use there? What if he starts the way that he started with Real Madrid?

But if a coach goes to the right team he might bring some fresh air to NBA and cause some upsets. That's what I'd like to see.

I agree with some of this. I think a distinction must be made a Euroleague coach can make it in America like NCAA, NAIA or D-League. NBA is different most owners or players don't have the trust of American basketball pundits. The coach would also have to be dynamic and charismatic to sell his vision. A Euroleague coach would have to go to a weak NBA team that has patience with losing in the beginning. He would also have to go to a team not just with foreigners BUT with international players that are accustom with FIBA and also have not been part of the NBA for too long. He could also go to a team with Americans that have a lot of FIBA experience. For example Dallas Mavericks would be a bad place to coach. Minnesota Timberwolves and L.A. Clippers would be much better place. Still it would be difficult but life is difficult. Bottom line is "if" he wins he will be accepted.

If a American Female coach can get her chance in the D-League I'm sure a Euroleague coach can get his chance in the D-League. I believe soon the NBA will have a female coach. The best strategy for a Foreign coach is to start small at the college level if he does good there he can work his way up. Looking at American sports history Americans will resist change initially but after a while they will embrace it and own it. American like any other people resist foreign influence BUT once the gate is open things change. It's like this in all our major sports basketball is no exception.
I have a question Vilius? Do you mean Ettore Messina? This guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettore_Messina

He could possibly be a coach in the NBA someday. This is a possibility. He has a respected resume and has USA connections. Plus he is Italian so Americans in general will be more accepting of him. Think Jerry Colangelo head of USA basketball. Mike D'Antoni coach of my New York Knicks. He was considered a coach for the Toronto Raptors. Italians are tearing up the league this year!
Quote:I have a question Vilius? Do you mean Ettore Messina? This guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettore_Messina

He could possibly be a coach in the NBA someday. This is a possibility. He has a respected resume and has USA connections. Plus he is Italian so Americans in general will be more accepting of him. Think Jerry Colangelo head of USA basketball. Mike D'Antoni coach of my New York Knicks. He was considered a coach for the Toronto Raptors. Italians are tearing up the league this year!

That is only surname Messina in Euroleague!! Biggrin And he have popularity.I have not heard about other Messina that is coach. Tongue
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
David Blatt is the obvious choice. He isn't European, but he has been coaching in Eiropean competitions for years, so I think he counts.
Messina would be a good coach in the NBA. I also think that Obradovic,Ivanovic,

Ivkovic would a great coaches in the NBA. You guys are right about the fact that they should coach a team with a lot of foreigners, but they could also coach the top teams. that is my opinion. If a coach wins he's great, if he loses he's bad. that's what everybody thinks. But I would love to see more european coaches in the NBA.
Quote:Igor Kokoskov makes NBA history, becomes Phoenix Suns head coach

Utah Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov will be the new head coach of the Phoenix Suns on a three-year deal.

Serbian native Kokoskov, will become the first head coach born and raised outside North America in NBA history, Despite being part of a franchise with an NBA-worst record of 21-61, Kokoskov guided Slovenia to last summer’s Eurobasket crown in Istanbul.

He will begin his duties as head coach after Utah’s season concludes. They are currently tied at 1-1 against the Houston Rockets in the Western Conference semi-finals.

According to ESPN, Jazz coach Quin Snyder and general manager Dennis Lindsey have credited Kokoskov with a great deal of the growth of Utah’s young roster.

This includes being part of nurturing Luka Doncic, who was one of the star players in Slovenia’s Eurobasket triumph and will enter this year’s NBA Draft following a stellar season with Real Madrid.

https://www.talkbasket.net/28213-igor-ko...head-coach

Quote:Igor Kokoskov thrilled to get going in Phoenix

Even though his focus is on the NBA Playoffs, Utah Jazz assistant Igor Kokoskov said that he is thrilled to be getting to work on rebuilding the Phoenix Suns.

Kokoskov became the first-ever head coach outside of North America by agreeing on a three-year deal with the Suns on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/992203393283178496

“I am certainly proud to be the first head coach in the NBA raised outside North America and just as excited to return to the Suns organization and Phoenix, my family’s home for the past 10 years,” said Kokoskov, who served as a Suns assistant from 2008 to 2013, before moving to Salt Lake City.

“It’s a place where I was a part of tremendously talented and successful teams and I look forward to working towards a Championship,” he said in the statement.

Kokoskov won the Eurobasket crown last summer with Slovenia and is known for nurturing young talent, which could bode well for the Suns as the Serbian playcaller has a great relationship with Real Madrid’s Luka Doncic, who will be entering the NBA Draft this year.

https://www.talkbasket.net/28217-igor-ko...in-phoenix

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coaches may challenge one official's call per game this season EuroLeague News 0 304 Oct 2, 2021, 6:12 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  FabFive tips, Round 21: New coaches, new chances EuroLeague News 0 541 Jan 24, 2021, 1:45 pm
  31 Masterminds of European Basketball EuroLeague News 0 882 Sep 14, 2020, 1:00 pm
  #EUROLEAGUEUNITED: Players, coaches join Stay at Home message EuroLeague News 0 999 Apr 24, 2020, 7:03 pm
  CSKA's Dimitris Itoudis tips off new TIME OUT series on coaches EuroLeague News 0 823 Apr 20, 2020, 9:31 pm