Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 U19 World Championship Men
Let's discuss! What is your opinion on the results of group and bracket play!? What is your favorite team? Who has the strongest and weakest group? Who could be a sleeper team?

FIBA - Draw for U19 World Championship Men throws up intriguing groups

RIGA (2011 FIBA U19 World Championship) - The draw for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship for Men held in Riga, Latvia on Thursday morning resulted in four very balanced and competitive groups which are sure to make for some very interesting and exciting action this summer.

The 10th edition of the FIBA U19 World Championship for Men will be played in the cities of Liepaja, Valmiera and Riga between 30 June and 10 July 2011.

Here are the results of the draw

Group A: Poland; Russia; Brazil; Tunisia.
Group B: Argentina; Latvia; Chinese Taipei; Australia.
Group C: Croatia; Korea; Canada; Lithuania.
Group D: USA; China; Serbia; Egypt.

The first group stages will run from 30 June to 2 July in Liepaja and Valmiera and see the number of teams narrowed down from 16 to 12.

The 12 remaining teams will then travel to Riga where they will make up two groups of six and vye to reach the last eight with games played between 4 and 6 July.

The quarter-finals will take place on Friday 8 July, with the semi-finals to follow the next day and the finals held on Sunday 10 July. All knockout round games are played at Arena Riga.

The 16 teams in the hat for Thursday's draw qualified through U18 continental championships held in the summer and autumn of 2010.

The USA U18 national team defeated Brazil to claim the FIBA Americas U18 Championship gold medal on 30 June 2010 in San Antonio, Texas. Canada defeated Argentina 86-83 in overtime for the bronze medal as the top four teams qualified for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship.

Lithuania won the U18 European Championship in Vilnius, Lithuania, dispatching Russia 90-61 in the final. Latvia claimed the bronze medal while Serbia finished fourth. Croatia and Poland rounded out the top six to book their places for Latvia this summer.

The FIBA Asia U18 Championship in Sana, Yemen saw China, Korea and Chinese Taipei advance to the World Championship, while Egypt and Tunisia took the two top spots in the FIBA Africa U18 championship in Rwanda. Australia defeated New Zealand to claim the FIBA Oceania U18 Championship gold medal.
I think that it will be a very excited tournament. I'll certainly watch it to see guys like Dario Saric,Sergey Karasev,Nenad Miljenovic,Nikola Jankovic,Lucas Nogueira, Boris Barac ,Rafael Neto etc. play. I can't wait untill it's starts. I think a lot of topteams will send their scouts to this tournament
Quote:I think that it will be a very excited tournament. I'll certainly watch it to see guys like Dario Saric,Sergey Karasev,Nenad Miljenovic,Nikola Jankovic,Lucas Nogueira, Boris Barac ,Rafael Neto etc. play. I can't wait untill it's starts. I think a lot of topteams will send their scouts to this tournament

Who do you think will be the group winners?
Quote:Who do you think will be the group winners?

I think in Group A it will be Russia. They have a good balanced team with a couple of players who could win the game for them.

In Group B it will be very interesting because I haven't seen the Argentinian and Australian youth teams so I can't judge them. But I've seen the youth team of Latvia and they have a solid team. Davis Bertans will be a star for that team and he already is a very good player for his age.

In group C it will go between Croatia and Lithuania. But I give a little edge to Croatia. Saric could be the star of that team and I hope that Henzonja also will be on that team. He and Saric will the future stars of the NT of Croatia

In Group D it's even more interested because the USA and Serbia have very good youth teams. I'm curious which players the USA is going to send. It will be very difficult for Serbia to win from them and I think that it will be a thriller between the two. I think that both teams could be first.

Who do you think Raze Lupin will be the group winners
The FIBA website is up!

Quote: FIBA - 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship website launched

GENEVA/RIGA (2011 FIBA U19 World Championship) - The website of the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championship for Men in Latvia has been launched today.

By visiting http://latvia2011.fiba.com, fans can get the latest news from the ninth edition of the World Championship for Men that are 19 years of age or younger (born 1st January 1992 or later).

The event takes place between 30th June and 10th July 2011 in the cities of Liepaja, Valmiera and Riga.

The website, available in English and Latvian, was jointly developed by FIBA and the tournament’s Local Organising Committee (LOC).

The fans will not only have the possibility to find information on the teams, players, venues and LOC, but can also interact and communicate with other fans by using the rating and commentary function.

This option currently works for news and contents regarding the teams and the players. During the tournament, this feature will be available for game reports, stats as well as other data.

The USA will be defending the gold medal they won in Auckland, New Zealand in 2009, where they went the entire Championship undefeated. They overcame Greece in the final, while Croatia beat Australia in the bronze medal game.

Past editions of the FIBA U19 World Championship have seen a number of international stars in the making, including Andrew Bogut (2003), Linas Kleiza (2003), Andrei Kirilenko (1999), Pau Gasol (1999), Vincent Carter (1995), Wang Zhizhi (1995), Dejan Bodiroga (1991) and Steve Nash (1991).
Quote:In Group D it's even more interested because the USA and Serbia have very good youth teams. I'm curious which players the USA is going to send. It will be very difficult for Serbia to win from them and I think that it will be a thriller between the two. I think that both teams could be first.

Who do you think Raze Lupin will be the group winners?

Here is my predictions for group play:

Group A: 1.Russia, 2.Brazil, 3.Poland

This could be an interesting match up. Brazil won silver in 2010 U18 FIBA Americas. Brazil only lost USA in gold medal match by 3 points! Brazil is strong. Russia won silver in 2010 Euro U18. They lost to Lietuva by 30 points. I give them the edge over Brazil because it is there home continent. Brazil vs Russia should be a good match.

Group B: 1.Latvia 2.Argentina 3.Australia

Argentina won 4th in Americas cup also 4th place in the 2009 WC in Austrailia. Latvia won bronze in U18 Euro with home court advantage I would put them ahead of Argentina BUT not by much. It will be a good game. Austrailia might surprise some people in the next round.

Group C: 1.Lietuva 2.Canada 3.Croatia

This may be the strongest group looking at Regional U18 2010 performances and WC 2009 in Austrailia. Canada won bronze in FIBA Americas. I think Canada will surprise many people. I think they will beat Lietuva in close game. This is my surprise pick. Objectively this may be the most exciting group.

Group D: 1.USA 2.Serbia 3.China

USA won gold in FIBA Americas, Serbia was 4th in FIBA Europe losing to Latvia 75 -49. Serbians seem to play passionate against Americans so they could easily win. I think Serbia just might only problem is poor performance in Euro U18 cup. I think the Serbs will come with fire and the USA will not be expecting it because they may not understand history. Still USA should not be taken lightly. USA is having what may be a golden generation. The young Americans are looking strong! Even the senior team is young Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russel Westbrook, Derrick Rose are all only 22 years old.

What do you think of my choices? Do you have inside information on Euro teams?
Raze Lupin, why so much trust for Canada? Any extraordinary talents? As for Lithuania, it will depend on Valanciunas. If he's in, Lithuania would probably be one of the contenders.
If all our best youngsters play, then without any doubt, only 1st place is good for us Rolleyes by the way, I think some Lithuanians will visit those games in Latvia...and Latvians should root for us. Smile

Kenneth23, are you joking? Saric? He's very young...will he be picked? And even if their NT pick him, I don't expect to see him shining there. Smile
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
Quote:Raze Lupin, why so much trust for Canada? Any extraordinary talents? As for Lithuania.....

I believe Lietuva is #1 in group. Canada upset Lietuva in Germany 2010 U17 World Championship for bronze medal. Canada has very deadly shooters in junior class. The players have very high basketball IQ. Lastly they are athletic and can draw fouls. Canada also won bronze in 2010 U18 FIBA Americas beating Argentina in overtime with smart play and athleticism. I think think the U19 squad will play Lietuva well and give them trouble. maybe even win. Canada 83 Lietuva 82 Click here:

http://www.hamburg2010.fiba.com/pages/en.../game.html

here is what Lithuanian player Simonas Kymantas said about the game:

Simonas Kymantas, Lithuania number 14: "Congratulations Canada, it was a good match. At the end we did not manage to defend. They shot that three-pointer and I think that was the deciding shot. We were fouling them and they were just making free-throws and we did not quite manage to come back into the game."

Here are some good Canadian players that might play for U19 in Latvia:

Myck Kabongo 189cm/6'2 (point guard) is extremely intelligent. Coach K of team USA and Duke University wanted him to play at Duke. That right there tells you that Kabongo is special. Coach K only wants the smartest players in pointguard position. Kabongo had 15 pts and 12 assists in bronze win over Argentina. He is savy like fellow Canadian Steve Nash BUT athletic like American Kemba walker.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ck-kabongo

Kyle Wiltjer 6'9/205.74cm (power forward) has crazy good skills and is a great shooter. good basketball IQ. He will going to University of Kentucky.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...le-wiltjer

Kevin Thomas 6'9/205.74cm (Small forward) is very fast vey good on defense and shot blocking. He has low confidence and makes bad decisions BUT he has great potential. He is also going to Texas University with Kabongo.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...vin-thomas

Khem Birc 6'9/205.74cm (Center) is explosive jumper, great defender and great passer. His passing and rebounding in the low post was great in the Americas tournament.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...khem-birch

Kevin Pangos 186cm/6'1 (point guard) He is another very intelligent point guard from Canada. He was part of the team that beat Lietuva by scoring 13 points and 5 assists. He was voted 2010 FIBA U17 WC MVP. Pangos is a cross between Steve nash and Jason Kidd.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/10/fu17...ofile.html

Please can anyone give me links and information about Lietuva players? I would like to know more about Latvia and other countries too.
Quote:If all our best youngsters play, then without any doubt, only 1st place is good for us Rolleyes by the way, I think some Lithuanians will visit those games in Latvia...and Latvians should root for us. Smile

Kenneth23, are you joking? Saric? He's very young...will he be picked? And even if their NT pick him, I don't expect to see him shining there. Smile

I beleive Kenneth23 means Dario Saric. I can not find much information on him. How old is he?

Center - Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania).

2010 U18 Euro cup Stats: 19.4 ppg, 13.4 rpg, 2.7 bpg, 70% 2P FG

Shooting Guard - Deividas Pukis (Lithuania)

2010 U18 Euro cup Stats: 15.8 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 1.2 apg, 60.0% 2P FG, 46.7% 3P FG, 1.2 spg

Pukis and Valancius were both voted 2010 Euro U18 MVP team! Lietuva will be hard to beat. This will be a very good tournament. What teams do you pick finishing top 5?
Quote:If all our best youngsters play, then without any doubt, only 1st place is good for us Rolleyes by the way, I think some Lithuanians will visit those games in Latvia...and Latvians should root for us. Smile

Why wouldn't Dario Saric been picked? Oke he's young but he can play. He's very good and he can play against guys who are older than him
But Raze Lupin got a good point. Canada has a talented team with a couple of players who will be very good in the future. But I still think that Croatia will end for Canada in the group
Quote:Why wouldn't Dario Saric been picked? Oke he's young but he can play. He's very good and he can play against guys who are older than him

We're talking about different things Biggrin of course he can play but how good he can be? I can't see him being spectacular among much older guys...and you said like he would lead Croatia to victories...can you compare him right now with any players of Lithuanian NT's starting five? Maybe with Skučas.

Raze Lupin, yeah, about him. He is born in '94.
Bench-Warmer.net - my new web blog! ||| lt.bench-warmer.net - lietuviška blog'o versija! ||| I'm on twitter
Quote:We're talking about different things Biggrin of course he can play but how good he can be? I can't see him being spectacular among much older guys...and you said like he would lead Croatia to victories...can you compare him right now with any players of Lithuanian NT's starting five? Maybe with Skučas.

Raze Lupin, yeah, about him. He is born in '94.

I'm not saying that he would lead Croatia to easy victories. Saric is a great talent and he already has shown that he can play against guys who are older then him. He wouldn't blow away the competition but I think he could surprise many players and fans. Croatia already has a very good team even without Saric.

Lithuania is one of the favorites but everything will depend on the fact if some of there keyplayers like Valanciunas,Pukis etc will be on the team
Quote:I'm not saying that he would lead Croatia to easy victories. Saric is a great talent and he already has shown that he can play against guys who are older then him. He wouldn't blow away the competition but I think he could surprise many players and fans. Croatia already has a very good team even without Saric.

Lithuania is one of the favorites but everything will depend on the fact if some of there keyplayers like Valanciunas,Pukis etc will be on the team

You're saying it Biggrin

Quote: But I give a little edge to Croatia. Saric could be the star of that team

And same thing goes to every team - if they don't have their best players, then their chances will be much more troublesome.
Quote:You're saying it Biggrin

And same thing goes to every team - if they don't have their best players, then their chances will be much more troublesome.

There could be chance that Saric could be the star because he's extremly talented. I'm not saying that he definitly will be the star, I'm just saying that there is a possibility
Saric will be There as he was our best player in U-18 team that qualyfiyed for this WC averaging about 12+5+3 + he dominated U-16 tournament in Rubio stayle. He had some good games with KK Zagreb and also played on loan for KK Dubrava against seniors in Croatian A1 league (week league, but still good for 16 year old kid) where he averaged 16+8+3. In my mind he is sure pick to be star. It's not just his uniqe talent where some scouts compare him to Kukoc and Bodiroga (some even go far and compring him with Magic) but it's his passion and character that makes you sure he will make it

For those who wannt to see him here is full game of finals in U-16 tournament where he ended with TD 30+11+11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea57M9_lLaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XtBSZbK4...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96UPv0aS_...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMGtGZRr8...re=related
As for our team I doubt that we have chance against Lithuania if Valanciunas will be there. We don't have any good big man. Our only center Najev who is undersized at 205 expectedly stagneted this season as he has grown earleyer in his body, whille his work ethic is vrey questionable.

On other side I'm very happy with progres of two other best players in team besides Saric. PG Toni Katic and PF Boris Barac. Barac blooming later just like his brother Stanko. He is now 206-07 and probably still growing and that alows him to be more efective with his grat fundumetals. He got big expiriance playing good minutes in very good adriatic league. Had some very good games and in game with Cibona he totaly outplayed much more hyped trio Zubcic, Delas and Radosevic. Katic was best player with Josip Sobin of best team in Croatian A1 league impruving much his playmaking and being under control. Shoot isstill big problem. Those 3 should bee good to make some decent resuld, but lucking of big man and more depth will hurt us in battle with best teams
Quote:There could be chance that Saric could be the star because he's extremly talented. I'm not saying that he definitly will be the star, I'm just saying that there is a possibility

There is chance that I will be seen by Lithuanian basketball coaches and they see how good I can be and ask me to play for senior national team but for chance like this I would give 0,000000000001%
Quote:As for our team I doubt that we have chance against Lithuania if Valanciunas will be there. We don't have any good big man. Our only center Najev who is undersized at 205 expectedly stagneted this season as he has grown earleyer in his body, whille his work ethic is vrey questionable.

Dario Saric is very impressive to be so young. In 2009 U19 WC Croatia recieved Bronze with great players like Mario DELAS 208cm/6'10" and Tomislav ZUBCIC 212cm/6'11". Will you give us a list of Croatian players that may be in this U19 tournament?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eleven countries interested in hosting FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 TalkBasket 1 2,117 Sep 19, 2023, 1:28 pm
Last Post: LettCat
  FIBA World Cup 2023 Quarterfinals: Let's Predict the Winners! 🏀 TalkBasket 0 214 Sep 4, 2023, 2:43 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  South American Basketball Championship (Brazil and Argentina) Abram Jones 0 1,501 Apr 3, 2019, 8:37 am
Last Post: Abram Jones
  FIBA World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers TalkBasket 1 2,671 Aug 24, 2018, 6:06 pm
  FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 (China) TalkBasket 0 2,166 Nov 12, 2016, 11:34 am