Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA NT NOT PLAYING IN 2012 OLY???
This is an article from AP stating that USA has to choose a roster before the NBA season is over. This gives USA a big disadvantage!!

US men's basketball faces Olympic deadline hurdle

Posted Feb 19 2011 12:59PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The first hurdle facing the U.S. men's basketball team in defense of its gold medal could be the schedule.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says the earlier start date for the 2012 Olympics could require the Americans to submit a 12-man roster before the NBA season is over.

The rosters will be due on June 18, 2012, forcing Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski to pick their squad without the benefit of having the players together for a training camp.

"Literally what I have to do now is just look at what happens the rest of this season and what happens next season during the year and then we have to submit our roster," Colangelo said Friday.

With the NBA finals going the full seven games last year, the season didn't end until the early morning of June 18. A seven-game series in 2012 could go as late as June 21.

The London games open July 27, 2012. Teams would still be able to make changes to the 12-man rosters after the deadline if there is an injury.The Americans picked their gold medal-winning squad without a tryout camp in 2008, but they were choosing from a much smaller pool of players. With all those players remaining in the national team roster, plus the group that won the world championship last summer in Turkey, Colangelo may have to sort through more than 30 names.And while all the top superstars passed on the worlds, they will likely be more interested in returning for the Olympics, which are much more valued by Americans. "That's a long time away. You never know what happens in life and everything. As of right now we're all committed to being with the team, I think it's like us and 30 guys and we're still going to have to compete," said Miami forward Chris Bosh, who played on the '08 team. "So we're going to have to go out there and compete against the guys who won the world championship and the guys who won the Beijing games in '08. So it's a lot of things that can happen, but we'll see and I'm sure we have the Olympics on our minds. At the end of the day, it was a lot of fun so everyone is going to consider it."But the earlier reporting date could weigh more on Bosh and fellow All-Star teammates LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, who will be favored to be playing in June next season. Colangelo might need them to give their Olympic commitments while still focused on a playoff run with the Heat.

"The good news is this: Everyone wants to play. Start with that," Colangelo said. "The difficulty is we will not have the get-together camp situation to go through a lot of that stuff."Colangelo said he wasn't concerned about another potential roadblock: A lockout could wipe out the 2011-12 season and he wouldn't get to see players on the bubble for a roster spot in action.The 2008 Olympics opened on Aug. 8, and the Americans played their first game two days later. The gold-medal game in London is scheduled for Aug. 12.

The Americans automatically qualified for the Olympics by winning the world championship, so unless Colangelo schedules a camp this summer, the players wouldn't be back together until 2012. He would prefer it was before he had to determine which ones were headed to London with him. "It's not a tryout, (but) things do happen," he said. "You hear me say the same things over and over again. Sometimes contracts, sometimes injuries, sometimes things happen. But having said all that, at the end of the day we're going to have to pick 12 names on a date in June without having the ability to get our team together."

WHAT WILL USA DO WITH NO PROPER TRAINING CAMP?????
Probably USA will win the gold anyway Tongue Crazy
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Quote:Probably USA will win the gold anyway Tongue Crazy

Hahah!! I wish that was true my friend. Gone are the days when USA basketball can just slap together players and win gold. This lack of preparation will hurt the USA team. Hopefully we will medal. It would be embarassing to not win a medal. There are so many strong countries now. I rewatched the USA vs Brazil WC 2010 game last weekend. The brazillians could have easily won that game. If they would have had Nene Hilaro at center that day it would have been lights out for us. Tunisa even gave us problems in the first half. USA didn't have a partially strong group. I expected more from Slovenia and Croatia. If USA is put in a group of death for 2012 Olympics I expect USA to lose a game or two in group play. Hopefully USA basketball's Jerry Calangelo and the selection commitee will come up with a solution.
Yeah the Op's right this is a big disadvantage, but I'll bet my first born (ignore the fact that I don't like kids to begin with)that the USA wins the Gold. The World is catching up rapidly and win you have teams like Spain that are made up of a full starting line-up of NBA players, it is a daunting task with so little time to prepare, especially when you consider that the players that play in the Finals will be gassed by the time Olympic play starts. The NBA playoffs are exhausting as it is. But truthfully, we are still a far superior basketball country. Our depth, athleticism and big game experience towers over even the best countries. Chemistry does matter, but I think the way that Colangelo and Krzyzewski have turned around the culture of USA Basketball will lead to another trip to the top of the podium while listening to the tunes of Francis Scott Key.
We can all say what our opinions r like and it doesn't mean a thing. But, USA isn't "far more superior basketball country" anymore. Sure, it has the best system, witch is, unfortunately collapsing slowly...
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
Quote:We can all say what our opinions r like and it doesn't mean a thing. But, USA isn't "far more superior basketball country" anymore. Sure, it has the best system, witch is, unfortunately collapsing slowly...

Serbia will show skills when everything get finished in Serbian Federation. Cool Thup
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
Quote:Yeah the Op's right this is a big disadvantage, but I'll bet my first born (ignore the fact that I don't like kids to begin with)that the USA wins the Gold. The World is catching up rapidly and win you have teams like Spain that are made up of a full starting line-up of NBA players, it is a daunting task with so little time to prepare, especially when you consider that the players that play in the Finals will be gassed by the time Olympic play starts. The NBA playoffs are exhausting as it is. But truthfully, we are still a far superior basketball country. Our depth, athleticism and big game experience towers over even the best countries. Chemistry does matter, but I think the way that Colangelo and Krzyzewski have turned around the culture of USA Basketball will lead to another trip to the top of the podium while listening to the tunes of Francis Scott Key.

In the words of the great Riley Freeman from the Boondocks cartoon, "Real recognize real gran' dad". Ive been watching Euroleague for a year and ive watched Greek and Spainish domestic leagues. I also watched FIBA Euro, Americas, junior competitions. I can tell you these guys have the highest skill. Where they dont have skill they have superior team work. Until last year we hadn't won WC gold in 16 years. I think USA "should" win a medal in 2012 BUT gold is not a garauntee. The rest of the world has caught up as far as talent/skill level. Of course no country has the depth of talent we have. They do however have the quality players just not the numbers. For example USA can have two entirely different teams win gold '08 OLY and '10 WC. Yeah it's just not about other teams having NBA players it's about other countries having great talent with better chemistry. I agree with you USA basketball with Jerry Calangelo at the helm and other greats have worked hard to change the culture. Not just on a senior level but on a junior level. For example They are working to change some of the high school rules to FIBA rules. Like adding a 24 second clock and disallowing player timeouts. Part of this change of culture was 2 - 4 year commitments and extensive USA basketbal training camps. Not just throwing players together before training camp. That's why this is a HUGE disadvantage! We will have to pick a team before a training camp.

Oh and it's not just Spain that USA has to worry about it's Brazil, Argentina, Turkey, Lietuva, Serbia, Russia Any of those teams can beat a non prepared USA team. I'm not saying they will but they can.
Quote:We can all say what our opinions r like and it doesn't mean a thing. But, USA isn't "far more superior basketball country" anymore. Sure, it has the best system, witch is, unfortunately collapsing slowly...

How is USA basketball system slowly collapsing?
Quote:How is USA basketball system slowly collapsing?

Maybe I am wrong, but the "stars" rnt playing for NT for years now, the NBA is threaten with a lock-out, season is too long and NT doesn't have preparations. And the most important, the world economic crisis will most likely lead to "less money for sport" and what will super-stars do then? Just my opinion like everything else here...
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
Quote:Maybe I am wrong, but the "stars" rnt playing for NT for years now,

True the Redeem team of '08 Olympic gold with Kobe, LeBron etc.. did not show up to '10 world cup BUT USA has new "younger" stars that won gold and were undefeated. Kevin Love, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook etc.. The "Stars" are not needed.

the NBA is threaten with a lock-out,

NBA has had Lockout before and USA basketball has survived. A lockout will not stop children from playing or stop Colleges from playing. NBA is only the the top of basketball here in the US. The fondation is still very strong. Junior leagues, High school, NAIA, NCAA etc This is more important than NBA. NBA is small by comparison. I don't think foreigners understand this they only know NBA.

season is too long and NT doesn't have preparations.

Yes I agree! The NBA season is too long. Causes more injuries and fatigue. In my humble opinion USA will not win Gold in 2012 Olympics with no preperation. If all other countries send their best teams. We are in trouble. I beieve in USA depth but there is so much talent in the world

every country has special players!

And the most important, the world economic crisis will most likely lead to "less money for sport" and what will super-stars do then?

This is an important fact that effects the entire world. The world has endured similar problems before. In USA history during the great depression the popularity of sports increased. When people are poor or sad watching and playing sports make them happy. Many poor countries have great sports tradition. I think the players will be forced to play for less money and find other sources of income. American basketball is not soely about the "Super-stars" Its about the development of players, its about the children, the High-school system, Junior league system(s) University system. USA basketball is about love of the game. Americans love basketball and as long as there is interest in the sport there USA will remain competitive. For example Brasil, Argentina and other countries may not be rich BUT they have some of the best soccer/Futbol in the world! Brasil and Argentina also have great basketball. So yes USA will be fine in the long-term..

Just my opinion like everything else here...

I'm sure most everyone welcomes your opinions. Thank you for sharing them. It is good to hear different opinions. I hope things work well for new Serbian federation president. I hear Serbian federation chooses new president on April 18th, 2011. The only canidate is Dragan Dijilas. Hopefully this will be good for stronger infrastructure.
Damn, I know when I am defeated Tongue

No, seriously, I can't say I know as much about USA system as USA people, and u sure gave good arguments that r better than mine.

I can't say I agree with you in just one thing. That "economic crisis like this has happen before and that it will not take long effects on sport in USA". I take USA for example because tons of money r invested there and tons of money could be lost. In Serbia, the infrastructure is weak and can't get much weaker, that is why I think that it will affect USA most. But that is a whole other topic to talk about Smile
Quote:Damn, I know when I am defeated Tongue

No, seriously, I can't say I know as much about USA system as USA people, and u sure gave good arguments that r better than mine.

I can't say I agree with you in just one thing. That "economic crisis like this has happen before and that it will not take long effects on sport in USA". I take USA for example because tons of money r invested there and tons of money could be lost. In Serbia, the infrastructure is weak and can't get much weaker, that is why I think that it will affect USA most. But that is a whole other topic to talk about Smile

Yep I agree ..the world financial crisis is a grave situation. The future is uncertain. So how is Serbia looking for FIBA Euro championship? If you could comment on Serbia U19 WC championship team in the U19 draw thread. I'm Interested in how they are doing. Serbia and USA are in the same group.
Today, the law about sport has bean reached, witch, basically means that clubs can be owned by a private groups, companies etc. And the whole infrastructure is going to be remade with larger investments in sport. With Djilas as a president of KSS, I believe that everything is going very good. The Ivkovic will return and the situation will be best so far, but of course, it takes time for every change to work.
Quote:Today, the law about sport has bean reached, witch, basically means that clubs can be owned by a private groups, companies etc. And the whole infrastructure is going to be remade with larger investments in sport. With Djilas as a president of KSS, I believe that everything is going very good. The Ivkovic will return and the situation will be best so far, but of course, it takes time for every change to work.

You should make new topic about new sport law. Thup As for law i think that it's the same story like without him.Meaning in basketball.Because basketball is not payable like football.At least in Serbia. Cool Thup
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greece NT 2012 Black Urum 79 36,012 Sep 30, 2012, 12:05 pm
Last Post: TeoTheGreek13
  USA NT 2012 skangles 373 144,481 Aug 13, 2012, 11:16 pm
Last Post: skangles
  BRAZIL NT 2012 Raze Lupin 14 7,498 Aug 8, 2012, 5:24 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23
  Lithuania NT 2012 straight forward 54 22,530 Aug 7, 2012, 10:39 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23
  Pre-Olympic tournament 2012 TeoTheGreek13 85 38,553 Jul 9, 2012, 5:18 am