Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Los Angeles Clippers
Not the best way to start a thread but it had to be said...

Quote:[size="5"][size="4"]Clippers Refused to Pay for Assistant Coach’s Cancer Surgery[/size][/size]

Here comes yet another shining example of just how wonderful a person Clippers team owner Donald Sterling is. Via the Journal Times: “Kim Hughes was in trouble, more trouble than he ever envisioned.

While working as an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers seven years ago, Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer … ‘I contacted the Clippers about medical coverage and they said the surgery wouldn’t be covered,’ Hughes said. ‘I said, ‘Are you kidding me?’

And they said if they did it for one person, they’d have to do for everybody else.’ When [Mike] Dunleavy learned the Clippers wouldn’t cover the cost of Hughes’ surgery, he mentioned it to his players. Several of them, including now Milwaukee Bucks forward Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Marko Jaric, were taken aback by the news and decided to offer their assistance. ‘Kim was one of our coaches and he’s a really good friend of mine, too,’

Maggette said. ‘He was in a situation where the Clippers’ medical coverage wouldn’t cover his surgery. I thought it was a great opportunity to help someone in need, to do something that Christ would do. ‘It shows your humanity, that you care for other people and not just yourself. Kim was in a life-and-death situation.’ It was indeed a dicey time for Hughes. After a biopsy was taken, he learned his prostate cancer was much worse than he believed. The cancer had quickly spread and was on the brink of moving to other areas of his body.

If Hughes had delayed the surgery, and if Maggette and his teammates hadn’t provided the necessary financial assistance, Hughes doesn’t know what would have occurred. Well, actually, he does. ‘Those guys saved my life,’ Hughes said. ‘They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn’t cheap. It showed you what classy people they are. They didn’t want me talking about it; they didn’t want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do.’”
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

1st) I remember hearing about this a while back BUT for some reason it wasn't the biggest news. NBA players only make news when they play well or bad or they get into trouble. Most society only cares about sensatiolized news.

2nd)Blake Griffin!! As an Oklahoma basketball fan I've seen him play in college. I even remember him playing in High School. He's a great Kid. I think he should leave the Clipper organization and go play for the Oklahoma City Thunder or some other team.

3)The Clippers organization is a black hole for talent. Some of the best and brightest stars ruin themselves there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clippers video assistant killed in car accident ESPN NBA 0 280 Oct 1, 2021, 2:36 pm
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  Source: Clippers re-sign Batum to two-year deal ESPN NBA 0 331 Aug 5, 2021, 6:34 pm
  The big takeaways from the Suns' Game 1 win over the Clippers ESPN NBA 0 280 Jun 21, 2021, 10:26 pm
  Without Kawhi Leonard, Paul George pledged to carry the Clippers through Game 5 ESPN NBA 0 299 Jun 18, 2021, 7:25 pm
  The Lakers and Clippers are moving in opposite directions ESPN NBA 0 327 May 27, 2021, 5:14 pm