Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011 Nike Hoop Summit!! 9/3/11!
Tomorrow at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon Some of the best young players in The US will be facing some of the best from around the world. This will be a preview for the U19 Chanpionships this summer. What players are you excited to see? Who do you think will win the match? Here is the official site: http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/nhs_rosters.htm

The match will be availible on FIBA TV Here are the Rosters:

TEAM USA JUNIOR SELECT TEAM:

Brad Beal G 6'3'' 180 06/28/93 Chaminade Prep / St.Louis,MO *Florida
Rakeem Christmas F 6'9'' 225 12/01/91 New Church Academy / Philadelphia,MD *Syracuse
Quinn Cook G 6'1'' 178 03/23/93 Oak Hill / Bowie,MD *Duke
Anthony Davis F 6'10'' 220 03/11/93 Perspectives Charter / Chicago,IL *Kentucky
Michael Gilchrist F 6'7'' 220 09/26/93 St.Patrick HS / Somerdale,NJ *Kentucky
James McAdoo F 6'8'' 210 01/04/93 St.Patrick HS / Norfolk,VA *No.Carolina
Austin Rivers G 6'3'' 175 08/01/92 WinterPark HS / WinterPark,FL *Duke
Marquis Teague G 6'2'' 175 02/28/93 Pike HS / Indianapolis,IN *Kentucky
Adonis Thomas G 6'6'' 205 03/25/93 Bishop Melrose HS / Cordova,TN *Memphis
Tony Wroten G 6'5'' 206 04/13/93 Garfield HS / Seattle,WA *Washington

HEAD COACH: Kevin Sutton ASSISTANT COACH: Kevin Boyle

* Player has signed a National Letter of Intent to play in 2011-12.

WORLD SELECT TEAM:

Kyle Wiltjer F 6'10'' 221 1992 Canada Jesuit HS (Portland, OR)
Dario Saric F 6'9'' 190 1994 Croatia KK Dubrava Zagreb
Davis Bertans F 6'7'' 205 1992 Latvia Union Olimpija Jr. Team
Mateusz Ponitka G 6'5'' 190 1993 Poland AZS Politechnika
Kevin Pangos G 6'1'' 178 1993 Canada Dr.Dennison HS (Ont)
Evan Fornier G 6'6'' 185 1992 France Union Poitiers
Raul Togni Neto G 6'2'' 195 1992 Brazil Pitagoras Minas Tenis Club
Lucas Riva Nogueira C 7'0'' 225 1992 Brazil Estudiantes
Przemyslaw Karnowski C 7'0'' 269 1993 Poland Sport School Cetniewo
Guo Ailun G/F 6'4'' 180 1993 China Laioning
Bismack Biyombo F/C 6'9'' 240 1992 Congo Baloncesto Fuenlabrada

HEAD COACH: Roy Rana (Canada) ASSISTANT COACH: Marin Sedlacek (Serbia)

*Indicates college where the player has signed a National Letter of Intent to play in 2011-12.
#Indicates college where the player has verbally committed to play in 2011-12.

So post your opinion! Is there anyone that you wish to have seen on the roster that was not included? Is there anyone from your country that is represented on the roster?
Here is an article from FIBA.com about the event!:

Quote:FIBATV – Nike Hoop Summit live on FIBATV.com

Watch live on www.fibatv.com

PORTLAND (Nike Hoop Summit) – America’s top senior high school players will take on the very best international players aged 19 or younger from around the world in the 14th edition of the Nike Hoop Summit on Saturday in Portland, Oregon, and you can catch all the action on FIBATV.com.

The game, played at the Rose Garden, will air live (19:00 local time/04:00am CET Sunday) with a repeat to follow on Wednesday 13 April at 20:00 CET. Both broadcasts are free worldwide.

FIBATV.com subscribers just need to log on, while people who do not currently have an account must open one (free of charge).

Additionally, the full game will be available on Video On Demand (VOD) as of Monday for subscribers.

The Nike Hoop Summit has helped bring to global prominence superstars such as Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Luis Scola and Kevin Durant to name but a few.

Last year'€™s game saw the 2010 USA Junior National Select Team come from behind to take a 101-97 win over the World Select Team in front of a Nike Hoop Summit record crowd of 11,246.

Due to broadcast restrictions, the game is not available on FIBATV.com within in the United States of America.

Viewers in the USA can see the game on their regional Fox Sports Network channel.

For more information on the Nike Hoop Summit, click here

Article #2

Quote:USA - A look back at stars who shined bright at Nike Hoop Summit

PORTLAND (Nike Hoop Summit) - On Saturday, the 14th edition of the Nike Hoop Summit will take place at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon.

The Nike Hoop Summit sees America's top senior high school players take on an international team consisting of many of the world's top players 19-years-old or younger.

It is one of the most highly-anticipated events year and year out.

This is where superstars such as Kevin Durant, Tony Parker, Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett first came to prominence.

The Nike Hoop Summit is so big, it has its own youtube channel which has some pretty cool content.

Check out Dirk Nowitzki use some of his ever-efficient moves back in 1998 when he went for 33 points and 14 rebounds to lead the International Team to a 104-99 win.
As for Adriatic.Only assistant coach are from Serbia Sad And one player from Croatia.
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Apr 9, 2011, 3:45 pm)stefans Wrote: As for Adriatic.Only assistant coach are from Serbia Sad And one player from Croatia.

I've heard good things about Dario. What do you know of theSerbian coach?
I didn't heard about that coach.
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
It's halftime and Team USA is leading the World Team 42-31 at the Nike Hoop Summit. I'm surprised. I figured World team would have better showing. They look strong on paper.
USA 90 World 80. It was a good game. There's a lot of promising young talent in the world. Dario Saric is only 16 he looked good last night. The Polish kid Ponitka shined for the world team. Biyombo was most impressive. The only thing Biyombo is missing is a jump shot. That added with a couple years of maturity and I have no doubt he could be amongst the best in the world. He was amazing...
SI.com article of the game.

Quote:PORTLAND, Ore. -- So how old is this Bismack Biyombo, the African triple-double prodigy who may be in the NBA next season?

"A lot of time people are saying I can't be so young, that I am much older,'' said Biyombo, the 6-foot-9, 243-pound forward/center from Congo who is listed as 18 years old. "It is not the first time I hear this, but I really don't care.''

Biyombo produced the first triple-double ever seen at the Nike Hoop Summit on Saturday, with 12 points (5-of-7 from the field), 11 rebounds and an astonishing 10 blocks in the World Select Team's 92-80 loss to the U.S. Junior National Select Team. The internationals arrived with more size, but the Americans performed as if they were the taller team thanks to their superior athleticism and teamwork. They've been playing together in international competitions, and their cohesion was intimidating from the opening minute. The World players were alarmed by the speed of the game and were forced to hurry their shots against the fast-closing American defenders.

Team USA ran out to a 20-12 lead while blocking six shots and holding the visitors to 3-of-21 shooting (14.3 percent) in the opening quarter. Duke-bound guard Austin Rivers (son of Celtics coach Doc) continued to make a name for himself by going 7-of-11 (3-of-4 from 3-point range) for a game-high 20 points, while the frontcourt play of future Wildcats Anthony Davis (16 points, 10 rebounds) and Michael Gilchrist (16 points and five blocks) suggested that Kentucky will be back in championship contention next season.

All 10 of the players on Team USA are headed to major college programs, and many of them will be drafted in the NBA lottery over the next couple of years. Of more immediate concern to the dozens of NBA scouts in attendance were several members of the World squad who could be in the draft this June.

Chief among them was Biyombo, who exploited his 7-7 wingspan and the most NBA-ready body on the floor. After a disappointing first quarter, the visitors adapted as Biyombo asserted himself defensively and Polish guard Mateusz Ponitka (who scored a team-leading 17 points) attacked the basket. "He runs the floor, he defends and he's cat-quick,'' said an NBA scout of Biyombo. "His offensive skills need to be developed, but his athleticism screams out.''

"He's Ben Wallace, basically,'' said another NBA executive.

The NBA evaluators spent the week guessing at Biyombo's age as they attended the World Team's practices. A half-dozen NBA scouts and executives told me they believed Biyombo was older than his listed age of 18, based not only on his mature body but also his leadership skills, as he led the Internationals through their pre-practice stretches and was their most vocal and energetic player. Questions of his age won't necessarily damage his stock in the draft, as his maturity will be viewed as strength. He is forecasted as a first-round pick with a chance to sneak into the lottery.

When I asked him Thursday how long he had been playing basketball, he postponed the discussion. "I can say that at this time I prefer to focus on the Nike week,'' he said with a grin. "So I will be around here after the game and I'll let people know everything they want to know, and people will question me everything they want to question and I give the answer.''

On Saturday he said he had been playing basketball since he was 12, both on an outdoor court near his home as well as on an indoor floor at his high school.

He began his professional career in Yemen in 2009, and then moved to the Spanish fourth division in 2009-10. He quickly worked his way up to Spain's ACB, the top national league in Europe, where he is currently averaging 6.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 14 games with the club Fuenlabrada. "The way I play here, I play everywhere,'' he said following the Hoop Summit. "In the ACB I play with a lot of smart guys, I play with a lot of strong guys, and when I step on the court I just want to kill them.''

Biyombo is a highly engaging character. His favorite NBA players are a couple of All-Star power forwards, Kevin Love and Kevin Garnett. "Kevin Garnett is intense player -- every time he's not on the floor, his team is missing him,'' said Biyombo. "I want to (play) defense as a team. I want to help everybody on my team and I want to win the game ... That's what I heard from my first coach, that the good offense is defense. If I block a lot of shots then it's good offense. If I get a lot of rebounds, then it's good offense.''

After the game, Biyombo stood in the locker room and thanked his teammates and coaches for the opportunity to spend the week in their company.

Another potential first-round pick is Brazilian 7-footer Lucas Riva Nogueira, an 18-year-old known as "Bebe'' (Baby). He is a slim 218 pounds, though he has gained 20 pounds in the last year. And while he is extremely raw offensively, he intrigued scouts by driving left-handed from the top of the key to finish with an explosive dunk during practice Friday. But the competition appeared too fast for him Saturday, leaving him with just four points, six rebounds and one block in 13 minutes.

Davis Bertans, a 6-10, 215-pound Latvian forward who plays for Union Olimpija in Slovenia, could also be a first-round pick. "He's a better shooter than Dirk Nowitzki was at the same age,'' said the NBA scout. Though he was a cold 3-of-10 for eight points Saturday, Bertans demonstrated his skill by catching a pass around his ankles and going straight up to convert a corner three.

His father is a coach in Latvia, and as a result Bertans has been playing basketball for as long as he can remember. "Some people say it's like immediately after the birth I was in the gym,'' he said. "My mother said when the ball stopped and there was silence, I was crying; but when somebody was dribbling the ball, I was sleeping.''

A couple of other intriguing Europeans were 6-7 guard Evan Fournier of France, a prolific scorer who plans to enter the draft in 2012, and Croatian Dario Saric, a 6-10, 215-pound forward with the skillset of a point forward, three-point shooter and rebounder. Saric (seven points and six rebounds) was the youngest player in the game -- he celebrated his 17th birthday this week -- and initially was visibly nervous with the ball against the U.S. speed. In the second half, he became more assertive while using his size to rebound, converting a three-pointer and pushing the ball in transition.

One NBA executive cited Saric and Kyle Wiltjer, a 6-10 Canadian forward from Portland (he is committed to Kentucky next season) as the two Internationals with the best upside physically. "There are so many things that can happen over the next few years -- he doesn't mature, or he doesn't improve,'' said another NBA exec of Saric. "But he's a guy with size and a tremendous feel for the game, and to see that at his age is uncommon.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/wr...z1JPlbXQo0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  European player of the year 2011 race!!! TeoTheGreek13 4 5,139 Dec 8, 2011, 8:07 pm
Last Post: Black Urum
  2011 Pan American games (men's basketball) Raze Lupin 20 13,598 Oct 31, 2011, 7:24 pm
Last Post: stefans
  FIBA Asia Championships 2011 Games harvey1505 0 2,700 Sep 21, 2011, 10:29 am
Last Post: harvey1505
  2011 U19 World Championship Men Raze Lupin 51 34,259 Jul 12, 2011, 3:44 pm
Last Post: Raze Lupin
  Eurobasket 2011 logo unveiled TalkBasket 6 6,700 Dec 22, 2010, 5:11 pm
Last Post: Raze Lupin