Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first Euroleague game you ever watched
Anytime better to talk about such thing than before the Euroleague final?

So what was the first game you ever watched in the Euroleague? Don't save words Tongue

Mine was a game between two unknown teams called Panathinaikos and Maccabi Tel Aviv, 2000 final game. Maybe that's why I got the idea to open this thread now.

I was 6 (6.5 to be accurate Biggrin ) years old at my grandfather's house and never watched a basketball game before. My grandpa rememebered he heard there's a big game today and he switched the channel and we found out it was a final game (yea my family aren't exactly basketball fanatics) and I asked them to let me stay and watch the game till the end, enjoying this new game I've never watched before. I was rooting for Maccabi cuz they were the Israelis Tongue and I still remember how I actually cried after they lost the game Biggrin

Anyway from the year after I started watching more games and since the 2001-2002 season with Blatt I didn't miss any game.. So it all started with some luck that my grandpa remembered there was a game at this day.

Share your experience.
My first was Barcelona against Benetton in 2003 when Bodiroga played.But i most remember Maccabi against Skipper and Parker amazing player in these days Cool
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
Maccabi-Skipper final is a game I'll never forget Biggrin really was one of the most amazing games I've ever seen
(May 7, 2011, 7:21 pm)MaccabiTA Wrote: Mine was a game between two unknown teams called Panathinaikos and Maccabi Tel Aviv, 2000 final game. Maybe that's why I got the idea to open this thread now.

Well, for what it's worth you picked a great first Final Four to watch and this was probably the most honourary defeat for Maccabi in a EL final cause it happened in the opponent's land and Kattash was the MVP for Panathinaikos... I mean probably everything was working against you that night...

I watched it, of course, and still remember Kattash crying after the game and given standing ovation by Maccabi fans... it was probably one of the beginnings of Panathinaikos-Maccabi TA fans friendship (which I had the chance to live myself in a future Final Four).

Interesting fact: Derrick Sharp and Antonis Fotsis played in that game and at least one of them will play tomorrow too!

Anyway, my first Final Four was in 1994... Amazingly by then I wasn't really supporting any team... but after Olympiacos beat Panathinaikos in the semi-final I went for the loser and underdog, Panathinaikos (at that time). Same scenario happened next season as well, losing in semi-final against Olympiacos (Olympiakos back then...) as FIBA made teams form the same country play in the semi automatically...

Well, the pain of those two years was worth it as my faith to the team starting paying off since 1996 and didn't stop since, even if PAO loses tomorrow, no worries, no harm done, we will have many more chances to win another one!

Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Kattash crying really is a sight I'll never forget..

And to think you could start as a fan of Olympiacos Tongue, btw the first final-four you've watched was in Israel.
Looks like I'm pretty old on the forum here Bag

My first game was in the 1992-1993 season where PAOK made it to the final four, only to get owned by Benetton in the semi Tongue Mellow
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
(May 9, 2011, 2:51 pm)ZEUS Wrote: Looks like I'm pretty old on the forum here Bag

My first game was in the 1992-1993 season where PAOK made it to the final four, only to get owned by Benetton in the semi Tongue Mellow

Lol its before I was born Baby
(May 9, 2011, 2:51 pm)ZEUS Wrote: Looks like I'm pretty old on the forum here Bag

Was that in SEF when Limogues won it with Maljkovic and Zdovc?

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

Yeah Limoges clinched it, we haven't seen a serious Euroleague appearance since then Blink Blink Crazy Huh
I watched my first Euroleague game in 1999, when Pivovarna Lasko, which is now called Zlatorog, won against Olympiakos with 63:56. Cool
The first game that I remember is the final game in 1996, PAO vs BARCA! Actually, the only thing I remember from that game was Stojan Vrankovic's block. Biggrin I remember that I was 5 years old Baby and I was watching this game with my father in our house. I remember only this final play because of my father screaming and celebrating... Tongue Rofl3

Well, the first game I clearly remember was the Euroleague final in 2001 that we lost to Maccabi Sad

I have never tried till then to see the highlights of this game, but I remember that we were losing by near 20 points and in the second half we led by 1 but finally we lost easily.(BTW, these days I heard that arbitration wasn't "the best" and that they made us make our final practise at 22:00 o'clock on saturday)
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Probably it was Sabas' Real in 1995 final, but it was called European Champions' Cup in these times. Than I followed some games by Karnisovas while he played in Barsa and OLY. In regular and natural basis I started to follow Euroleague with Žalgiris in 1999 Biggrin
(May 11, 2011, 9:48 pm)straight forward Wrote: Probably it was Sabas' Real in 1995 final

Great memories for Obradovic fans Wink

Mine was in November 2000, London Towers vs Barcelona, Barcelona won 97-82 - the game was actually quite close until late on!

I was living in Brighton at the time, so couldn't resist making the trip up to London to see a team like Barcelona. I was 18. At that time it was the ULEB/Suproleague split. Most of the fans at the arena were from Barcelona too. Barca had Jasikevicius, Navarro, Pau Gasol, Rentzias, Duenas... it was amazing to see that level of basketball after being used to the BBL (but it was a much better league back then).

The only other EL game I've seen in person was this season just past, I flew to Madrid to see Real v Olympiakos at Caja Magica, Madrid won quite comfortably, it was a good game though, although I was disappointed at how poor Olympiakos were, I thought it would be a really close game.

I've only really started following Euroleague seriously, watching every week on EL-TV, this season. Will definitely be sticking with it though.
^ Hi Rob, thanks for your input. It's good that we have a UK fan of basketball, it's a shame basketball isn't more popular in the UK, and what is popular is just NBA-style showboating, not European ball. You can watch a lot of games through the internet too, all you have to do is google it Smile

Btw. welcome to the board, why not a make a post in the introduction section?
I never had access to Euroleague games. Although I tried to follow it statistically for the past 10 years or so, I was never able to catch a game until I saw Lietuvos Rytas vs. Cibona on NBA TV from the 2005-2006 Euroleague group stage. That game inspired me to move to Vilnius. Rofl3

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EuroLeague Arenas TalkBasket 1 177 Nov 23, 2023, 1:54 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  2023-24 EuroLeague signings and rumors TalkBasket 0 118 Nov 22, 2023, 3:10 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  EuroLeague Fantasy Challenge tips: Something for everyone EuroLeague News 0 449 Nov 14, 2021, 7:39 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  EuroLeague on Social Media EuroLeague News 0 373 Nov 12, 2021, 8:55 pm
  EuroLeague Fantasy Challenge Round 8 winner EuroLeague News 0 382 Nov 12, 2021, 6:58 am