Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Player in your NBA history?
Several people have a favorite player.. but who do you think is the greatest player in your NBA history?
What do you mean by "your NBA history"? I started watching the NBA in the late 80s. The best player that I've seen is obviously Michael Jordan.

Other players that were truly unique:

1) Olajuwon, he had such smooth moves in the post
2) Barkley, a 6'4 PF. Are you kidding me? We'll never see that again
3) Shaq, the most dominant presence I've ever seen
4) Stockton, the best ball distributor
5) Magic Johnson, the inverse of Barkley, a 6'9 PG was unheard of at the time
6) Bird, I missed his best years in the 80s, but he was still scoring at will in the late 80s/early 90s
7) Kobe, the closest thing we've seen to Jordan since he left
8) Duncan, often considered the best PF of all time
9) Nowitzki, totally revolutionized the way the game is played. A legit 7 footer who can shoot like an SG.

Those 9 players plus Jordan would round out the 10 best players I've seen in my life. The next tier of players would be Garnett, LeBron, Kidd, Allen, Reggie, Nash, Malone, Yao.
Definitely.. it is Michael Jordan!!! since I started watching NBA.. following Kobe, Lebrone... etc..
without question, Michael Jordan is the greatest player ever: what he has done for the game of basketball is anything short of remarkable.
(May 21, 2011, 5:17 pm)skangles Wrote: What do you mean by "your NBA history"? I started watching the NBA in the late 80s. The best player that I've seen is obviously Michael Jordan.

Other players that were truly unique:

1) Olajuwon, he had such smooth moves in the post
2) Barkley, a 6'4 PF. Are you kidding me? We'll never see that again
3) Shaq, the most dominant presence I've ever seen
4) Stockton, the best ball distributor
5) Magic Johnson, the inverse of Barkley, a 6'9 PG was unheard of at the time
6) Bird, I missed his best years in the 80s, but he was still scoring at will in the late 80s/early 90s
7) Kobe, the closest thing we've seen to Jordan since he left
8) Duncan, often considered the best PF of all time
9) Nowitzki, totally revolutionized the way the game is played. A legit 7 footer who can shoot like an SG.

Those 9 players plus Jordan would round out the 10 best players I've seen in my life. The next tier of players would be Garnett, LeBron, Kidd, Allen, Reggie, Nash, Malone, Yao.

Awesome list! After the 1st championship I thought Jordan was really good. After the 2nd thought he was amazing. After the 3rd I was convinced he would be one of the greatest ever. The last two was just icing on the cake at that point. Especially that final sequence against Utah which pretty much sums up everything. He showed both defense, and offense on the biggest stage in which we thought was his last game.
According to Scottie Pippen, LeBron is the best player of all time. No joke, he said this on the radio. What an idiot. Are you kidding me? Right and Darko Milicic is the next Kevin Garnett.

LeBron has the potential to be one of the all time greats at the end of career but unless he takes his game to a level that we haven't yet seen, he won't be better than Jordan. His move to the Heat solidified his place in history. In my opinion the Heat could win the next six championships and LeBron wouldn't even be in the same breath as Jordan. He needed to collect his rings when he was the clear leader of his team.
Jordan has 6 rings and 6 Finals MVP awards...

When Lebron achieves half of that, we can discuss...
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

(May 28, 2011, 11:30 pm)Black Urum Wrote: Jordan has 6 rings and 6 Finals MVP awards...

When Lebron achieves half of that, we can discuss...

Quoted for truth!
In my history with the NBA it would be MJ. He is the most complete player that I've seen. I believe he was the perfect blend of intelligence and physical ability. I don't know of any player to date that displayed both elite BB IQ and elite athleticism. Kobe comes close but falls short in IQ. When Jordan's physical ability diminished his cleverness was plainly displayed. Can't say that for Kobe. Lebron is a physical freak of nature. He has been since he was a small child. We are all witnesses of that fact. Is Lebron as smart as Jordan was at the same age? Could he successfully run a triangle offense? Probably not. What will Lebron be when his athleticism diminishes? Not Micheal Jordan......
I know this is probably the most posted but michael jordan all the way! I grow up running around the house pretending I was him! and he grew up and played college in my homestate, NC! to bad he picked the wrong college to play for though. GO NC STATE!!!!
Jordan was probably the best player in the NBA, and not because of his rings or championships. He was a natural freak of nature, a phenom at playing good ball, and that is an inbuilt mechanism and characteristic more or less. Though I won't idolize him, or any other human being on earth... Baby
In my mind, the ultimate question on who's the best basketball player ever, should be, Michael Jordan or Wilt Chamberlain?!?!?! Huh Bag Crazy

They both dominated the game in both ends but in different ways and they were "freaks" of basketball nature(Wilt was a freak of nature in general too!! Rofl3 )! Thup

The reason that MJ is considered by most as the best player ever is this:

Chamberlain and Jordan had incredible numbers in the regular seasons. Chamberlain though, had mind-blowing numbers. He had by far better numbers even from Jordan! Thup

BUT, Wilt's numbers were reduced a lot in the playoff games, meanwhile, Jordan's numbers were skyrocketed in every single playoff series!!! Thup

And at the end of the day, playoffs are the games that count the most!!! Cool Baby

Now, I think it's time for me to write my own opinion on that issue! Smile

My opinion is that Chamberlain is the most dominant basketball player the world has ever known, by far! Crazy

*And the best basketball athlete ever!

**He was by far stronger than Shaq... out of the court! What I mean is that Wilt was much stronger man than Shaq but Shaq was using his full power in the game. Wilt, as he had admit, had a lack of "killer instict" and he didn't use his physical powers as he could!

Here is why:

First of all, everyone has to agree that his regular season achievements are unmatched by anyone!

Then, we have -the real deal- the playoffs! Cool

The only argument left, in order to claim that Jordan was better than Wilt, for every MJ fan is the fact that his stats were going up in the playoffs in contrast to Wilt's.

Well, that's true(facts don't lie).

Michael Jordan, throughout his playoff career, averaged 33.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg and 5.7 apg!! Thup Thup

Wilt Chamberlain, throughout his playoff career, averaged 22.5 ppg, 24.5 rpg and 4.2 apg! Thup

***Obviously, what matters to MJ fans it's only how many points you score because I don't see why MJ's stats are considered better.

For example, we have a game between two random teams in a playoff game. The one of them is Miami. And they win the game.

LeBron James has 34 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists, and

Chris Bosh has 23 points, 25 rebounds and 5 assists(I said it's an example!!! Rofl3 Rofl3 Rofl3 )

WHO'S THE MVP OF THE GAME?!

Hmmm, I think Bosh would be the one! Baby

Well, let's say that points are the one and only deal!

When someone looks at these stats would say that MJ was more capable scorer than Wilt in crunch time!

Here is the ripost.

Wilt, throughout his first 6 playoff years('60, '61, '62, '64, '65, '66) he averaged 32.9 ppg! Hmmm, that's only 0.5 below MJ's average! And I doubt that Wilt was making more attempts to score than Jordan did! In these six years he didn't won a single championship.

You, possibly, wonder why I chose only 6 out of his 13 playoff years.

In the beggining of the 1966-67 season, Wilt's coach(76ers coach) told him that in order to win a championship he has to sacrifice his stats, meaning that he (Wilt) should take less attempts. Wilt may was "in love" with his stats but he was more than willing to sacrifice them for the team!!! Thup --Something that MJ never did. Baby To me, he was the most selfish superstar in history.

Well, in his first season of more unselfish(he was never selfish) basketball, his scoring average reduced by 9.4 points(33.5->24.1) and assist average went from 5.2 to 7.8(the next year would have 8.6 and he would become, still, the only center to lead the league in assists). That was in regular season! This years 76ers team considered to be one of the best(by many, the best) team in NBA's history(Wilt, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham etc)!!!

In playoffs things were similar regarding his stats!

Wilt won his first NBA ring!!! Thup

Not to gabble, the rest of his 4 playoff years, were the same story with him attempting fewer shots every year but he was the same old rebounding and defensive beast!!! Crazy

***In 1972 he won his second -and last- ring. This year's Lakers team was the one which set the 33 straight wins record and is considered too, one of NBA's greatest teams in league's history(Wilt, Jerry West--NBA's logo, if you don't know it already--, Gail Goodrich etc)!!!

He was the leader of two of the greatest teams in NBA's history!! Ohmy

That's why Jordan has more playoff points!!

One thing I can't take away from MJ though, is that he was the greatest clutch shooter in NBA history!! Thup Thup

I think I made it clear that in my opinion, Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominant player, the greatest player, the greatest athlete and the strongest player in basketball history!!! Thup Baby Thup

Here are Wilt's career statistics!
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
About me, stating that Wilt is the best athlete in basketball history(maybe in any sport), take a look at this one...

Oh-my-God!!!!!!! Ohmy Ohmy Ohmy Ohmy
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Vassilis Spanoulis named his Top 5 favourite NBA players: Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird and LeBron James.

His Top 5 Europeans in the NBA: Drazen Petrovic, Nikos Galis, Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol and Tony Parker.
Well, I don't believe there was a single "greatest player" I believe that different players excelled in different ways that helped make their team a success.
This color is my official moderation color.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who is a better player - Kevin Durant or LeBron James? TalkBasket 0 152 Nov 22, 2023, 3:14 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  NBA's 75 greatest players: Snubs, all-time starting five and more ESPN NBA 0 249 Oct 25, 2021, 5:03 am
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  NBA75: Meet the best players in league history ESPN NBA 0 262 Oct 21, 2021, 9:32 am
  NBA75: Meet the best players in league history ESPN NBA 0 253 Oct 20, 2021, 12:51 pm
  The Bucks reminded the Suns they have the best player in the NBA Finals ESPN NBA 0 323 Jul 13, 2021, 7:33 am