Poll: What is the greatest duo in NBA history?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Michael Jordan - Scottie Pippen (Chicago Bulls)
12.50%
1 12.50%
John Stockton - Karl Malone (Utah Jazz)
37.50%
3 37.50%
Magic Johnson - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Los Angeles Lakers)
12.50%
1 12.50%
LeBron James - Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat)
0%
0 0%
Jerry West - Wilt Chamberlain (Los Angeles Lakers)
0%
0 0%
Isiah Thomas - Joe Dumars (Detroit Pistons)
0%
0 0%
Walter Frazier - Willis Reed (New York Knicks)
12.50%
1 12.50%
Gary Payton - Shawn Kemp (Seattle Super Sonics)
0%
0 0%
Penny Hardaway - Shaquille O'Neal (Orlando Magic)
0%
0 0%
Tim Duncan - David Robinson (San Antonio Spurs)
0%
0 0%
Kobe Bryant - Shaquille O'Neal (Los Angeles Lakers)
25.00%
2 25.00%
Larry Bird - Kevin McHale (Boston Celtics)
0%
0 0%
Elgin Baylor - Wilt Chamberlain (Los Angeles Lakers)
0%
0 0%
Jason Kidd - Vince Carter (New Jersey Nets)
0%
0 0%
Dwyane Wade - Shaquille O'Neal (Miami Heat)
0%
0 0%
Bob Cousy - Bill Russell (Boston Celtics)
0%
0 0%
Kobe Bryant - Pau Gasol (Los Angeles Lakers)
0%
0 0%
Carmelo Anthony - Amar'e Stoudemaire (New York Knicks)
0%
0 0%
Steve Nash - Amar'e Stoudemaire (Phoenix Suns)
0%
0 0%
Michael Jordan - Bugs Bunny (Tune Squad)!!!!!!!
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best NBA duo in history!!!
Sorry for the long list. Agree

I put every duo I thinked of!

I put only duos that both players were in a good age!

(for example I didn't gave as a choice the LeBron - Shaq duo because Shaq was too old)

What I mean is that based on names I could put many more duos I thought of!!

If I forgot any good duo you can remind it to me by posting!!!

*Bird - McHale is the only white duo!! Rofl3

**I don't know if the Kidd - Carter duo deserves to be in the list or is just my sympathy for Vince. I think though that they were a great duo! Wink

***I wanted to choose the Jordan - Bugs Bunny duo but accidentally I voted for Magic & Kareem! Rofl3 Rofl3 Rofl3

****The truth is that I was between Magic-Kareem and MJ-Pippen but I think the LA duo was simply the best! Wink Thup
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
I was kid when Jordan plays at the best.

So my option is Kobe Bryant - Shaquille O'Neal awesome duo Cool
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
For me this poll should have just 2 choices... Stockton-Malone and Shaq-Kobe.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

(Aug 15, 2011, 10:15 pm)Black Urum Wrote: For me this poll should have just 2 choices... Stockton-Malone and Shaq-Kobe.

Well, you think that Magic-Kareem, Jordan-Pippen etc. didn't deserve to be in the list.

Kobe and Shaq duo in my opinion can't be compared with these two duos.
Jordan and Pippi Langstrumpf. I did like the option of Jordan and Bugs; however, I was looking for MJ-squared...

Honestly, really nice list. It brought back many good memories.

I disagree with Kidd/Carter though. The Nets were a well rounded team in which Jefferson and K-Mart played major roles. To me creating a duo out of that Nets team would be similar to picking Hamilton and Billups from the Pistons.

My favorite duo as a kid was Barkley and Kevin Johnson, not the best but extremely enjoyable to watch.

On a similar note, who was the most dominant individual player without a true partner in crime? Thinking of those Rockets teams in the mid-90s, they had some good players Kenny Smith, Sam Cassel, Clyde Drexler but it was really Olajuwon's team. Similarly, Reggie Miller never had a dominant side kick, Rik Smits? Patrick Ewing had John Starks and little more. Garnett was head and shoulders better than his T'wolve teammates. Same can be said about Dirk this season, albeit that Mavs squad was deep.
Stockton-Malone are the gold standard of how perfect cooperation is carried out in basketball with the pick and roll. Guards being a duo isn't the same thing. It has to be one guard and one forward, you need a multi-faceted offense, not just a one-dimensional one Smile
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
(Sep 3, 2011, 2:24 am)ZEUS Wrote: Stockton-Malone are the gold standard of how perfect cooperation is carried out in basketball with the pick and roll. Guards being a duo isn't the same thing. It has to be one guard and one forward, you need a multi-faceted offense, not just a one-dimensional one Smile

You can't say that since you have seen the Jordan - Pippen duo... Thup Wink
I believe that by far the best duo is Jordan with Pippen (in the first 3 peat) and Jordan with Pippen (or Harper) in the (second 3 peat).

We have to note that (all those that were lucky enough to see the Chicago bulls I believe would agree) that Bulls success was the cooperation of 3 players (both in offense and defense).
(Sep 3, 2011, 12:58 pm)teo Wrote: We have to note that (all those that were lucky enough to see the Chicago bulls I believe would agree) that Bulls success was the cooperation of 3 players (both in offense and defense).

If you talk about the second 3-peat of the Bulls, their 3 main "weapons" on offense were Jordan-Pippen-Kukoc and on defense were Jordan-Pippen-Rodman!
Statistically you are correct. Tactically i would stick with Harper. (Phil Jackson took him to LA for a reason...)
(Sep 3, 2011, 4:05 pm)teo Wrote: Statistically you are correct. Tactically i would stick with Harper. (Phil Jackson took him to LA for a reason...)

Probably he couldn't take Kukoc!

These two were just not compareable!
The first 3-peat was really Jordan and Pippen which demonstrates how amazing they were. They had some serious crap around them like BJ Armstrong, Will Purdue and Craig Hodges. How many titles are those guys going to win without Jordan/Pippen? Horace Grant or Bill Cartwright would be the third player that I'd take from the Bulls in the first 3-peat but there is a major talent gap between Jordan/Pippen and those fellas.

By the same logic you can argue that every single one of the best duo options was not a true 1-2 punch. I mean even the Jazz had Jeff Hornacek who was pretty damn good. Russel and Anderson weren't too bad either.

The second Bulls team was a different story, as mentioned Kukoc was solid but Rodman was a beast amongst men. Guys like Steve Kerr also played a major role. I agree that Harper had a role but only after Kukoc, Rodman and Kerr. There was a reason that this team was the greatest of all time (record wise) but it was still Jordan and Pippen who led the way.

Honestly, I don't even know why we're having this discussion. I was never a Bulls fan growing up and cheered against them in pretty much every final but Jordan and Pippen are the by far the best duo that I have seen in my life (late 80s onwards). Stockton and Malone complemented each other better in their style of play because Stockton really liked to pass and Malone really liked to score. Additionally, Stockton and Malone are pretty balanced in terms of who was better. You can argue either way, whereas Jordan was significantly better than Pippen.

The fact of the matter is that During the Stockton/Malone era they won no championships while Jordan and Pippen won six. Yes the second 3-peat bulls were much improved but the Jazz had the first 3-peat plus the two Rockets championship seasons to win and couldn't get it done. Jordan and Pippen were clearly better.
(Sep 4, 2011, 2:54 am)skangles Wrote: The first 3-peat was really Jordan and Pippen which demonstrates how amazing they were. They had some serious crap around them like BJ Armstrong, Will Purdue and Craig Hodges. How many titles are those guys going to win without Jordan/Pippen? Horace Grant or Bill Cartwright would be the third player that I'd take from the Bulls in the first 3-peat but there is a major talent gap between Jordan/Pippen and those fellas.

By the same logic you can argue that every single one of the best duo options was not a true 1-2 punch. I mean even the Jazz had Jeff Hornacek who was pretty damn good. Russel and Anderson weren't too bad either.

The second Bulls team was a different story, as mentioned Kukoc was solid but Rodman was a beast amongst men. Guys like Steve Kerr also played a major role. I agree that Harper had a role but only after Kukoc, Rodman and Kerr. There was a reason that this team was the greatest of all time (record wise) but it was still Jordan and Pippen who led the way.

Honestly, I don't even know why we're having this discussion. I was never a Bulls fan growing up and cheered against them in pretty much every final but Jordan and Pippen are the by far the best duo that I have seen in my life (late 80s onwards). Stockton and Malone complemented each other better in their style of play because Stockton really liked to pass and Malone really liked to score. Additionally, Stockton and Malone are pretty balanced in terms of who was better. You can argue either way, whereas Jordan was significantly better than Pippen.

The fact of the matter is that During the Stockton/Malone era they won no championships while Jordan and Pippen won six. Yes the second 3-peat bulls were much improved but the Jazz had the first 3-peat plus the two Rockets championship seasons to win and couldn't get it done. Jordan and Pippen were clearly better.

Very much agree with what I've quoted in bold Wink
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
(Sep 4, 2011, 2:54 am)skangles Wrote: The first 3-peat was really Jordan and Pippen which demonstrates how amazing they were. They had some serious crap around them like BJ Armstrong, Will Purdue and Craig Hodges. How many titles are those guys going to win without Jordan/Pippen? Horace Grant or Bill Cartwright would be the third player that I'd take from the Bulls in the first 3-peat but there is a major talent gap between Jordan/Pippen and those fellas.

Just to mention, as I read in a, let's say, official NBA book, the 1970-71 bucks(Jabbar+Robertson!!!) was a little bit better team than 1995-96 bulls based on numbers and of course the best club team of all times.

This book also contains arguments that most people would have about that choice and all of them are answered inside the book!
(Sep 4, 2011, 12:46 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: Just to mention, as I read in a, let's say, official NBA book, the 1970-71 bucks(Jabbar+Robertson!!!) was a little bit better team than 1995-96 bulls based on numbers and of course the best club team of all times.

This book also contains arguments that most people would have about that choice and all of them are answered inside the book!

As a die-hard Milwaukee Bucks fan it is flattering that the 1970-71 Bucks would be mentioned in the same breath as best team ever but I struggle to see how a team with a 66-16 record could have bragging rights over a team with a 72-10 record. In fact that Bucks team ranks only 11th all time in terms of winning percentage.

They were however loaded. In addition to Alcindor and Robertson they also had Bob Dandridge and the current voice of Bucks broadcasts, Jon McGlocklin. Not too bad! I wish I would have been alive back then, the Bucks have been pretty atrocious for most of my life Laugh
(Sep 8, 2011, 2:51 am)skangles Wrote: As a die-hard Milwaukee Bucks fan it is flattering that the 1970-71 Bucks would be mentioned in the same breath as best team ever but I struggle to see how a team with a 66-16 record could have bragging rights over a team with a 72-10 record. In fact that Bucks team ranks only 11th all time in terms of winning percentage.

They were however loaded. In addition to Alcindor and Robertson they also had Bob Dandridge and the current voice of Bucks broadcasts, Jon McGlocklin. Not too bad! I wish I would have been alive back then, the Bucks have been pretty atrocious for most of my life Laugh

Take a look at this(page 1)!
The best NBA duo without a doubt is Moe and Larry. I think their coach was Curly. Biggrin
What re the people's views on this question these days?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NBA75: Meet the best players in league history ESPN NBA 0 288 Oct 21, 2021, 9:32 am
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  NBA75: Meet the best players in league history ESPN NBA 0 285 Oct 20, 2021, 12:51 pm
  If history is any lesson, expect these NBA Finals to be incredible ESPN NBA 0 328 Jul 6, 2021, 11:29 am
  How Coby White is raising awareness for Black History Month ESPN NBA 0 508 Feb 27, 2021, 2:56 pm
  Curry makes history, passes Reggie Miller in career 3s ESPN NBA 0 590 Jan 25, 2021, 11:16 am