[Image: SRB.jpg] SerbiaSRB232.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: AUS.jpg] AustraliaAUS224.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: CHN.jpg] ChinaCHN219.7[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: RUS.jpg] RussiaRUS213.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: FRA.jpg] FranceFRA195.0[Image: arroRankUp.gif][Image: blank.gif]+2

[Image: BRA.jpg] BrazilBRA184.0[Image: arroRankUp.gif][Image: blank.gif]+3

[Image: GER.jpg] GermanyGER182.0[Image: arroRankDown.gif][Image: blank.gif]-2

[Image: ANG.jpg] AngolaANG178.0[Image: arroRankDown.gif][Image: blank.gif]-2

[Image: PUR.jpg] Puerto RicoPUR157.6[Image: arroRankDown.gif][Image: blank.gif]-1

[Image: SLO.jpg] SloveniaSLO157.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: NZL.jpg] New ZealandNZL147.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: CRO.jpg] CroatiaCRO134.0[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]

[Image: IRI.jpg] IranIRI83.1[Image: arroRankEqua.gif]
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Even though Argentina is a hell of a team is a bit unfair to be in 3rd position because America's league can't be compared to Eurobasket... Bag Baby
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Hellas is two consecutive years out of final four(especially in 2010 we finished 12th Bag ) and we still are #4!!!

Obviously we did a great job between 2004 and 2009!!! Wink Biggrin :p
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
I think FIBA should add a current ranking as well. Something similar to a power ranking. At the moment teams like FYROM and Finland are stronger than Angola and Puerto Rico. I think a faux ranking could be a better predictor for the upcoming Olympics.
(Sep 27, 2011, 5:23 pm)Raze Lupin Wrote: I think FIBA should add a current ranking as well. Something similar to a power ranking. At the moment teams like FYROM and Finland are stronger than Angola and Puerto Rico. I think a faux ranking could be a better predictor for the upcoming Olympics.

+1 Thup
(Sep 27, 2011, 12:47 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: Even though Argentina is a hell of a team is a bit unfair to be in 3rd position because America's league can't be compared to Eurobasket... Bag Baby

True Smile

The method of ranking is simplistic.
Italy ranked 7th is so ridiculous it hurts. That ranking alone takes the credibility out of FIBA's rankings.

I know that FIBA takes an stupid period of time into consideration but I cannot recall when Italy was actually any good.
They gave us Pizza, that is good enough for me!
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
I'm with Led00 Biggrin

But I think that it would also mean Asian countries need to be on top :p
Yes, but then they wouldn't exactly be 'FIBA' rankings now would they? Crazy
Ranking is too old..Or out of date Crazy
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Sep 27, 2011, 12:47 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: Even though Argentina is a hell of a team is a bit unfair to be in 3rd position because America's league can't be compared to Eurobasket... Bag Baby

These rankings are total crap and shittier than shit. Argentina should below Hellas and Lithuania. They accumulate points playing litle pissy teams in Central and South America.. Bloody disgrace.. These rankings are after the 2010 WC Baby
I detest these rankings. Angola is higher than Croatia and Slovenia. That makes no sense to me.
Angola is a dominant power in Africa.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Angola is good it not their fault the ratings are misleading to the current state of things. I'd like to see how Angola would play against Italy, Turkey, Serbia, or Finland. I believe all of those teams did not qualify for the Olympics. I wish FIBA would;

1. Add a ranking based on more current trends say 4 years instead of 8. I honestly haven't thought all of this out but it could be done.

a)During the years of 2000-2008 USA played mediocre basketball. This is of course baring the 2008 redeem team gold. Still the facts remain USA dropped no lower than 2nd I believe in the overall rankings. Falling to 1# Argentina. So here is my question to everyone. From the years of say 2000-2008 was the USA the second best country in FIBA basketball??I'd answer no. USA remained #1 and #2 because of an 8 year cycle. If FIBA used a four year cycle at some point Ranking could look like this. 1.Argentina 2.Greece 3.USA 4.Ex-Yugo etc.. Depending on when the four year would start USA could fall as far as 4th. Not taking the top spot back until 2010.

2.I would change the competition weighting system. I won't get into details. I'm just saying...

I think the benefits of a shorter cycle would be:

1. Greater ranking accuracy

2. Greater representation of basketball parity

3. Greater feeling of accomplishment to the improving nations. I mean its one thing for Greece, Ex-yugo, Argentina to beat USA BUT when the rankings do not show it how really good your country is its disappointing. Its true that for some 4 years between 2000-2008 Greece was better than USA. Other countries were too BUT it never showed in the ratings. To me this not fair to the state of basketball. Don't get me wrong we deserve #1 now but back then no...
I don't even need 4 years of history. Anything more than 2 years is outdated. The US should get points for being World champs, Spain for European champs and Argentina for Americas champs.

It's inexcusable that the US didn't play the Tournament of the Americas this summer. It's no problem that they already had tickets to London. It would have been fine to send a B team but not sending a team is ridiculous. Was the US the best team in 2010? Yes. Are they still the best? Could be based on talent alone, but without having played in a year we cannot confirm.
(Oct 12, 2011, 10:41 pm)skangles Wrote: I don't even need 4 years of history. Anything more than 2 years is outdated. The US should get points for being World champs, Spain for European champs and Argentina for Americas champs.

It's inexcusable that the US didn't play the Tournament of the Americas this summer. It's no problem that they already had tickets to London. It would have been fine to send a B team but not sending a team is ridiculous. Was the US the best team in 2010? Yes. Are they still the best? Could be based on talent alone, but without having played in a year we cannot confirm.

I like watching national team competition more than anything. Your'e right we don't have to send our best 2 teams out to compete. A few years back a non sanctioned by USA basketball team went to FIBA Americas. They placed 10th. lol

USA is participating in the PanAm games that start 2 days from now. Here is the link:

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/paname...ngpre.html
I knew they were going with an NBDL roster but I don't recognize most of those players. Ahearn and Major have been D-Leauge All Stars for a while. I remember Dyson from UCONN.

Brian Butch is from my hometown. He went from small city Wisconsin ball to playing with LeBron and Villanueva in the McDonals All-American game. Stiemsma was another Wisconsin high school prodigy who now plays in Georgia (the country). Maybe they'll give him a passport.
Wow, Greece doing okay! I'm from the UK...nowhere to be seen! Ha.
^ Basketball in the UK has no funding Beno. I played local league in Oxford a couple of years ago, trust me I know what it is like (although it ain't completely crap either :p ).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments TalkBasket 0 127 Nov 22, 2023, 2:59 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Eleven countries interested in hosting FIBA Basketball World Cup 2023 TalkBasket 1 2,117 Sep 19, 2023, 1:28 pm
Last Post: LettCat
  FIBA World Cup 2023 Quarterfinals: Let's Predict the Winners! 🏀 TalkBasket 0 216 Sep 4, 2023, 2:43 pm
  FIBA World Cup 2019 European Qualifiers TalkBasket 1 2,675 Aug 24, 2018, 6:06 pm
  The new FIBA calendar of international tournaments TalkBasket 0 2,121 Nov 15, 2016, 6:29 pm