Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lietuvos Rytas thread
Lietuvos Rytas finished building team for the new season with the signing of Brazilian PF Joao Paulo Batista. He signed 1+1 contarct which means that after 2006/07 season he'll have an opportunity to extend his contract for one more year. Last couple of seasons he spen in NCAA playing for Gonzaga Uinverstity where he was scoring 19.3 points per game. He will replace Haris Mujezinovic who left Rytas for Pamesa in Spain.

So current squad looks like this: Roberts Stelmahers, Janis Blūms, Darius Pakamanis, Ernestas Ežerskis, Tomas Delininkaitis, Mindaugas Lukauskis, Frederick House, Artūras Jomantas, Andrius Šležas, Matthew Nielsen, Eurelijus Žukauskas, Marijonas Petravičius, Povilas Čukinas, Aurimas Kieža, J.P.Batista.

Three players will be loaned out to other clubs.
well nice aquisition there 19.3 points per game isn't bad at all Biggrin
Latest news

Rytas coach Sharon Drucker could be on his way out of the club. Club president Jonas Vainauskas said that he is unhappy with the way the club is playing and that he doesn't let Eurelijus Zukauskas to play at all. That was really weird thing to me to see him sitting on the bench all the time. Will Rytas fire one more coach?
Don't let Drucer go!!!!!! he's the best u got right now!
It is offcial Drucker has just resigned. One more coach was fired at Rytas. It is very interesting who will be signed as a replacement and will it have any positive effect on the team. I saw someone saying about possibility of signing Carlo Recalcatti. That would amazing choice but I doubt it is possible.
Carlo would be great!!!

Hope he will come.
The new coach was announced yesterday. He is Zmago Sagadin - a great Slovenian coach. Sagadin is much more strict than Drucker. Rytas already had a 'dictator' coach Vlade Djurovic and it ended with him being fired because of his strictness. It looks a good choice for Lietuvos Rytas. There are rumours that two players can be released under the new coach. We'll see for how long Sagadin stays in Vilnius Smile
Hot news! Andre Emmett kicked from Lietuvos Rytas team... I think it is good turn Wink
Yeah I agree. I expected him to be the first on the fired list. Sagading was keeping him on the bench for most of the time. Emmet was too selfish on the floor. It is interesting wether Rytas will be looking for replacement or not.
Rytas signed Kareem Rush as a replacement for Andre Emmett.

[Image: Kareem-Rush_180323.jpg]

His career stats:

1999-2000: Missouri (NCAA): 15,1 pts.
2000-2001: Missouri (NCAA): 20,8 pts.
2001-2002: Missouri (NCAA): 20,1 pts.
2002: NBA draft 20th by Toronto Raptors
2002-2003: Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
2003-2004: Los Angeles Lakers (NBA)
2004-2005: Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) traded to Charlotte Bobcats (NBA) in December
2005-2006: Charlotte Bobcats (NBA) released in April
2006-2007: Seattle SuperSonics (NBA) released in November

Sagadin has also fired Titus Ivory. That was predictable decision to me. Rytas brought Darius Pakamanis whom they had loaned to Siauliai this season.

Another new face in Rytas is Martynas Gecevicius. He played for another Vilnius club - Sakalai. Gecevicius is only 18 year old but he is very talented and plays for Lithuanian U-20. Sagadin is famous for making stars so he could have a very bright future.
Lietuvos Rytas are having negotiations with Jeremiah Massey from Aris, Andrew Hutson from Panionios and Vroman Jackson from Gran Canaria. The contract will be signed with one of these players. They all have good stats. Maybe our Greek members could give more info about Massey and Hutson?
Hutson is a top class player, one of the best tall guys in Europe in my opinion. His technique are class, his game in the post is great, his hook is also great and he is a great rebounder. But he is 34, therefore he can not be counted as a long term investment but could produce immediate results. Had he been some years younger he would be plying for a Final four club.

Massey is young, 23 i think. Its just his second year in Europe after college and he gets better and better as time passes by and he gets used to European style of play. He is an undersized PF with great athletic skills. He jumps, he dunks, he blocks, he rebounds. Quite a temper he got though and whines to the refs.

If i had to choose i would choose Hutson if i wanted results HERE and NOW, and i'd get Massey if i had a more long term plan.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

I see. I'd prefer a young player who would stay for a longer time. I saw Massey in the EL and his dunks were really great. The problem is that Rytas will be demoted to the ULEB Cup in 2008/09 since Lithuania has only one spot Thup so when they sign players they take into account the fact that the budget will be smaller. So from this point of view Hutson sounds like a better choice. Vroman Jackson is close to signing a contract so we might not see neither Massey nor Hutson at the club.
Sorry i made a mistake, Hutson is just 27. I heard that he had agreed with Panionios for a new contract but he then changed his agent and cancelled his agreement. He is looking for a team which will offer him 400-500k Euros and play in Euro competitions.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

It's about time to update this.

[Image: lrytasze2.png]

Buterlevičius and Brazdauskis are loaned out to SSK Perlas.

Staff

Head coach - Aleksandar Trifunovič (Serbia)
Assistant coach - Ivan Jeremic (Serbia)
Assistant coach - Arvydas Gronskis (Lithuania)
My favorite team, They are playing really good basketball this season I hope that they will go to the next round of euroleague Smile
Lietuvos Rytas could play in Euroleague next season. Rytas' GM Jonas Vainauskas met with Jordi Bertomeu during ULEB Cup Final Eight. The decision will only be published in summer. Bertomeu has promised a place in EL for Rytas when they last played in EL but it didn't happen. According to sportalas.com three teams are the candidates to get an invitation - Barcelona, Dynamo Moscow and Lietuvos Rytas. ACB final standings are important and there's a number of possible scenarios named in that article but I can't be bothered translating everything.

I think that this is positive news. Rytas deserved to be in Euroleague and that's not an opinion of Lithuanians only. If they stay in EL, there are good chances to keep key players or at least sign good replacements.
Do you really believe that Bertomeu will give Spain's (deserved) 5th spot to Lithuania and Rytas?

I don't. But we'll see in the summer...

In that article it was said that Spain will have 5 spots after Joventut won ULEB Cup. Barcelona is mentioned as potentially 6th Spanish team (if they finish lower in ACB ) and it is said that there are doubts wether EL would give 6 spots for Spain. Unicaja and TAU Ceramica have contracts with EL. If Real Madrid win regular season 5 Spanish teams will be known in the next year's EL. One more spot is given to play-off winner. So this means that there might be 6 Spanish teams but I doubt it would happen. For Barcelona to get in EL they must win ACB or finish above Real, TAU Ceramica and Unicaja. Barca could finish below them with one condition - there can't be any other teams above them except those three.

With that being said I think that invitation is between Dynamo and Rytas.
Euroleague = 24 teams

Spain: 4
Italy: 4
Greece: 3
Turkey: 2
France: 2
Russia: 1
Lithuania: 1
ULEB: 1 (Spain)
Poland: 1
Germany: 1
Slovenia: 1
Serbia: 1
Croatia: 1
Israel: 1

TOTAL: 24

So where does this invitation come from? It means that Euroleague took a decision to remove 1 spot from a certain country... if that is the case I suspect Italy...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mindaugas Kuzminskas thread TalkBasket 1 2,626 Nov 23, 2016, 7:17 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Domantas Sabonis thread TalkBasket 2 3,040 Nov 15, 2016, 11:37 am
  Donatas Motiejunas thread TalkBasket 86 70,056 Nov 5, 2016, 9:22 am
  Jonas Valančiūnas thread TalkBasket 75 56,926 Oct 28, 2016, 2:39 pm
Last Post: Al Bundy
  Vilnius "Lietuvos Rytas" 2011/2012 straight forward 34 24,543 May 17, 2012, 9:08 pm
Last Post: tarelibasket