Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French Leagues
Nancy, Roanne, Chalon, Strasbourg, ASVEL, Le Mans, Cholet, Gravelines, Pau, Dijon, Orleans, Le Havre, Clermont, Paris BR, Hyeres-Toulon, Besancon, Bourg, Reims. Everything about French Leagues.
Pau Dismiss Herbert, Hire Cousin

French giants and Coupe de France winners Pau Orthez have parted with Canadian coach Gordon Herbert and have moved quickly to replace him with last years Pro B Coach of the Year Olivier Cousin.

Herbert, 48, who also serves as Georgia's National Team coach, had been under pressure since failing to steer Pau into the French league play-offs.

"Following a period of reflection from the two parties since last Thursday on the issue of training, Pau Orthez has ultimately decided not to continue with the coach, Gordon Herbert," said a statement on Pau's official website, http://www.elan-bearnais.fr.

Under Herbert, who played for Canada's basketball team at the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984, Pau won 18 of their 34 regular season games and finished ninth - one spot below the final qualifying place for the play-offs.

It was a horrible league campaign by the 10-time champions of France.

However, the team did salvage some pride by winning the Coupe de France and finishing among the top 16 of the Euroleague.

Soon after removing Herbert the club hired Cousin, formerly the coach at Pro B side Quimper.

He will take the reins of arguably France's most famous outfit, which has spawned NBA players like Mickael Pietrus of Golden State and Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns.

Cousin admitted leaving Quimper, who were a team in the fourth tier of French basketball when he joined them in 1999, was a wrenching decision.

"The most difficult thing wasn't accepting the proposition of Elan, it was choosing to leave Quimper," he said.

"You don't spend eight years at a club by accident."

He added Pau was one of the few clubs who could have enticed him away from Quimper.

"I am not the type of person who goes to coach in Pro A just because it is Pro A," he said.

"But Pau are something else. I am not saying that there was only Pau that would have made me move, but that's not too far off.

"There are only two clubs who would have stood out to me, and one of them was Elan."

Cousin appreciates he has a job on his hands at Pau, but believes he has what it takes to succeed.

"I know the context and I am conscious of what people expect at Elan," he added.

"I am therefore arriving in full knowledge of my responsibilities, compared to the expectation of the public. It is that which is guiding me.

"The club loves a certain style of basketball and I only hope this coincides with the values I try to instill as a coach."
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Current standings:

[Image: franceqw0.png]
Results of Day 22:

Pau-Orthez 78 66 Paris-Levallois
Dijon 81 73 Chalon/Saône
Hyeres-Toulon 81 77 Nancy
Gravelines-Du. 79 72 Clermont
Le Mans 96 93 Roanne
Le Havre 97 89 Lyon-Villeurbanne
Orleans 86 79 Cholet
Strasbourg 69 74 Vichy
Where does the Darrel Mitchell play?
Quote:Where does the Darrel Mitchell play?

He's playing for Elan Chalon http://www.elanchalon.com/index.php?opti...tegoryId=2
Can i ask something?!

Does Marc Salyers, the ''hottest'' player of the first stages of Euroleague, have another year of contract with Roanne?! Unsure

Thank you..

P.S. Are there any rumours for him?!
I haven't heard any particular team to be interested in him but I know that he is followed by some big clubs in Europe.
Quote:Can i ask something?!

Does Marc Salyers, the ''hottest'' player of the first stages of Euroleague, have another year of contract with Roanne?! Unsure

Thank you..

http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/tu...or-moscow/
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Nancy 2007-08 champion: http://www.lnb.fr/?pid=6&game=3369
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Quote:Konstantinos wrote:

Can i ask something?!

Does Marc Salyers, the ''hottest'' player of the first stages of Euroleague, have another year of contract with Roanne?!

Thank you..

Marc Salyers has another year of contract but the club is OK to let him go. Actually, it was even part of the deal: Salyers signed last year a 2-years contract to allow the club to get an indemnity when another club buys it contract out (at the end of the first season)

Note that this indemnity to free Marc Salyers has been set to €500,000 which explains why not so many teams are interested in buying his contract out.

However, rumours send him to Ankara or Dynamo Moscow
Cholet to sign Iranian star Samad Nikkhah.
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Basketball French Basketball Talents Kenneth23 1 2,581 Nov 5, 2016, 3:31 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  2011/2012 French PRO A Signings and Rumours Kenneth23 6 6,502 Jun 14, 2012, 3:40 pm
Last Post: stefans
  2010/2011 French PRO A Signings and Rumours Kenneth23 4 5,469 Mar 8, 2011, 10:57 pm
Last Post: Kenneth23
  2009/10 French PRO A Black Urum 3 5,993 Jun 1, 2010, 1:06 pm
Last Post: Sagenas
  2009/10 French PRO A Signings and Rumours Black Urum 5 6,296 Nov 18, 2009, 4:12 pm
Last Post: Black Urum