Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago Bulls
Was just checking out their records and previous history in the NBA on Wikipedia and I found this...

Quote:A dramatic dismantling

The summer of 1998 brought an abrupt end to the championship era. Krause felt that the Bulls were on the verge of being too old and unable to compete. He decided that the team's only choices were to rebuild or endure a slow decline. His plan was to sink the team and acquire high draft picks while clearing salary cap space to make a run at several promising free agents in two years' time. After having been vetoed in a previous attempt by owner Jerry Reinsdorf, Krause traded Scottie Pippen for cast-offs from the Houston Rockets, none of whom made the Bulls' roster. He also declined to re-sign Dennis Rodman, and traded Luc Longley and Steve Kerr for draft picks. He hired a new coach with no professional experience, Tim Floyd, who had run a successful program at Iowa State University. Upon Phil Jackson's departure, Michael Jordan made his second retirement official. With a new starting lineup of point guard Randy Brown, shooting guard Ron Harper, newcomer Brent Barry at small forward, power forward Toni Kukoc, and center Bill Wennington, the team began the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season. Kukoc led the team in scoring, rebounding, and assists, but the team won only 13 of 50 games.

Is this the stupidest prick ever to grace the NBA?
I remember that season but it's the first time I hear why all this happened. That's incredibly stupid and all I can say is "only in America".
Quote:I remember that season but it's the first time I hear why all this happened. That's incredibly stupid and all I can say is "only in America".

Yeah, I was looking at season stats, and thought wtf?! 6 championships in 8 years and then suddenly a 13-37 record in the next season and not even so much as a playoff appearance in the next 6 seasons!

The only demise I can think of on this scale is Leeds United in football!
Chicago Bulls named Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle as candidates to take Scott Skilles's position as a head coach.

There are rumours suggesting that Tracy McGrady could be traded to Chicago for Ben Wallace and Ben Gordon.
Pity, i still like the bulls.

If not for this though, could they be serious contenders?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sources: Probe into Heat, Bulls in advanced stage ESPN NBA 0 404 Nov 15, 2021, 5:39 pm
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  Inside the Knicks' secret attempt to lure Michael Jordan from the Bulls ESPN NBA 0 479 May 5, 2021, 1:03 pm
  Inside the Hail Mary that almost kept the 'Last Dance' Bulls together ESPN NBA 0 826 May 20, 2020, 1:27 am
  'Why would I play you?': Stories from the end of the Bulls' bench ESPN NBA 0 767 May 18, 2020, 10:33 pm
  Seven ways the NBA has changed since MJ's Bulls ESPN NBA 0 808 May 3, 2020, 8:08 am