Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurobasket 2013 - Discussion
By the way, I'm not creating a separate thread for this, but has anybody been following the FIBA Americas tournament? The power has shifted back to North America in a big way with Mexico winning the tournament. Along with Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic qualified for the World Championship with Argentina just squeaking out the final ticket to Spain.

Canada had a strong tournament but lost to Argentina in the end, I was hoping for them to make it so that we could see Andrew Wiggins next summer. Canada is going to be a powerhouse for the next few years but we'll have to wait until the 2015 Americas tournament to see it.

Brazil meanwhile did not make it out of the first group stage finishing last in their group.
This has been one of the most evenly matched Eurobaskets I can recall. There are still 8 teams with a legitimate chance to win this thing.
(Sep 13, 2013, 4:20 am)skangles Wrote: This has been one of the most evenly matched Eurobaskets I can recall. There are still 8 teams with a legitimate chance to win this thing.

Yup. Agreed. It feels like every team in the second round (probably save for Latvia) seem tough to beat.
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Latvia just wiped the floor with Ukraine and Belgium has been a disaster. Latvia has a seriously good shot to make it to the knock out round as they play Belgium next. Latvia has been every bit as good as Finland in this tournament.
(Sep 14, 2013, 2:58 am)skangles Wrote: Latvia just wiped the floor with Ukraine and Belgium has been a disaster. Latvia has a seriously good shot to make it to the knock out round as they play Belgium next. Latvia has been every bit as good as Finland in this tournament.

Yeah yeah, I meant Belgium not Latvia.
God damn it. I've been using rojadirecta.me for live streaming and it has been good so far. Not a lot of links for today's match, and the streaming is choppy Dry

My p2p.ec has links but they are not a whole lot better. Anyone got any better recommendations for live streaming? Huh
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
We deserved to get smacked to be honest. The way we played throughout the tournament we didn't deserve to qualify in the playoffs. Inconsistent and bad. We're not mathematically done, but we are realisticly. Thudown

Greece has made a ton of historic comebacks but I don't see it happening tonight. And I don't care. They're bein pathetic.
(Sep 14, 2013, 8:13 pm)ZEUS Wrote: God damn it. I've been using rojadirecta.me for live streaming and it has been good so far. Not a lot of links for today's match, and the streaming is choppy Dry

My p2p.ec has links but they are not a whole lot better. Anyone got any better recommendations for live streaming? Huh

I'm quite late here but next time you have this issue try stopstream.tv.
This game is getting interesting!
Wow a couple of terrible turnovers both ways. First from Slovenia to allow Greece to inch back into this and then from Greece to allow Slovenia to pull away.
I turned the game on with 4 minutes to go and just heard that Greece was down by 26?! What the heck happened?
Group E is done and France does not look very intimidating having lost to both Lithuania and Serbia.

So the four teams that go through are:

1) Lithuania
2) Serbia
3) France
4) Ukraine

With Group F wide open, Lithuania and Serbia might not have gotten any favor for finishing in the Top 2 in Group E as anything can happen.
Kleiza is really driving me nuts. All he does is shoot and he's not very good at it. He has definitely been Lithuania's worst player throughout this tournament. He made a huge 3 pointer late in the game against Ukraine but he also forced a lot of shots before that which allowed Ukraine to stick around.

I just checked his stats and he is 25/69 from the floor this Eurobasket.
What is the tie breaker if two teams are tied, is it point differential in group play or their head-to-head result?

If it's head-to-head then Greece would go through with a win and Italy beating Spain. If it's group play point differential then you guys need Spain to blow out Italy as you're not going to catch Spain's point differential.
I guess the tie breaker is head-to-head result because Serbia won the group while Lithuania had a better point differential. That's good news for Greece.
(Sep 14, 2013, 9:47 pm)skangles Wrote: I'm quite late here but next time you have this issue try stopstream.tv.

Thanks man Smile

As far as our games our concerned, well what a fiasco. I haven't seen such a poor performance from Hellas since 2001 Rolleyes

Time to get rid of all the old players I think, and time to start fresh with new, young guys, peppered with a bit of experience from a few older players too Mellow
(Sep 14, 2013, 9:57 pm)skangles Wrote: I turned the game on with 4 minutes to go and just heard that Greece was down by 26?! What the heck happened?

Oh we're just a team capable of the absolute best and the absolute worst at the same time. Quite simply, we didn't exist on the court. Referee favouritism of the host as expected, did exist, but even in its absence we were beyond pathetic. We were playing like pussies Angry
(Sep 15, 2013, 10:54 pm)skangles Wrote: I guess the tie breaker is head-to-head result because Serbia won the group while Lithuania had a better point differential. That's good news for Greece.

We don't need point differentials, just the Italians to beat the Spanish, and for us to beat the Croatians. Thing is, the press in Greece is saying that Italy's head coach, Pianigianni, and our head coach, Trinchieri do not get on at all. The Italians are already through, so they don't particularly care about helping us by beating the Spanish. Any way you look at it, we don't deserve to be in the tournament any more after that embarassing loss to Finland Bag

Greek media is mentioning that if we are out, we have a high chance of gaining a wild card entry for the world championship next year instead Rofl3
Sorry guys. I'm still pulling for Italy even with the Greek result decided as I'd much rather Lithuania face Italy than Spain in the quarterfinals.

What is the story with the Wild Card? Will they just select a club that didn't qualify because they have a good fan backing and FIBA can make some money off of them?

I could get all the games live and on demand in the US through ESPN and now that I'm in Germany, I cannot watch any of the Eurobasket games whilst in Europe? This is ridiculous.
Italy vs Spain appears to be a good game so far, at least from watching the score change on the Eurobasket website.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eurobasket 2013 rikhardur 21 15,683 Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 pm
Last Post: Fivepack
  Eurobasket 2013 - Qualifying round TeoTheGreek13 23 13,703 May 4, 2013, 9:27 am
Last Post: ZEUS