Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurobasket 2013 - Discussion
(Sep 4, 2013, 7:10 pm)ZEUS Wrote: Pretty shocking defeat for Turkey against Finland. Turkey most likely underestimated them.

Also, great win for team GB?! I thought Israel would have that one in the bag...

---------------

We have bigger problems then estimation.
Teo you can thank Lithuania for putting you to sleep it was actually calculated intelligent basketball from Serbia. Why push the tempo when youre winning by double digits?

Lithuania made a drastic mistake by not bringing a 3 pt shooter. Last yeat they had Jasaitis, Saras and Kaukenas. This year they have guys who can shoot it if they get on a hot streak but its a huge element of the Lithuanian offense that is gone. Gecevicius or Dulkys could have helped.

Anyway, I'll look forward to getting revenge on FYROM today. Who would have thought Pero Antic would make it to the NBA? I thought he would flop at Olympiacos and good for him that he didn't but I am still waiting for reality to catch up with him.
(Sep 5, 2013, 12:23 pm)skangles Wrote: Teo you can thank Lithuania for putting you to sleep it was actually calculated intelligent basketball from Serbia. Why push the tempo when youre winning by double digits?

Lithuania made a drastic mistake by not bringing a 3 pt shooter. Last yeat they had Jasaitis, Saras and Kaukenas. This year they have guys who can shoot it if they get on a hot streak but its a huge element of the Lithuanian offense that is gone. Gecevicius or Dulkys could have helped.

Anyway, I'll look forward to getting revenge on FYROM today. Who would have thought Pero Antic would make it to the NBA? I thought he would flop at Olympiacos and good for him that he didn't but I am still waiting for reality to catch up with him.

Hahaha, I know right?!
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
I always felt like Lithuania and Serbia (Yugoslavia) shared that healthy rivalry with much respect between them. I always feared the most when we play against Lit, because the teams were always very much a like and almost every game was pretty close to a point.

I believe they will go into the second round along with Montenegro, because they will have luck!

Macedonia doesn't have what it takes. Along with Bosnia... only Let can surprise all of us!
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
Turkey getting smacked by Italy... -18 and counting.
(Sep 5, 2013, 11:24 am)vakasimo2 Wrote: ---------------

We have bigger problems then estimation.

The team doesn't seem to have it together? And of course Tanjevic is to only blame for this.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Lithuania finally picks up the win, Valanciunas played like a beast.
Day 3

Germany vs Ukraine
Montenegro vs Bosnia & Herzegovina
Belgium vs Great Britain
Latvia vs Lithuania
France vs Israel
F.Y.R.O.M. vs Serbia
I have a feeling that this will be the Israel's moment of return (or complete downfall Tongue)

Montenegro vs B&H will be a key game for both teams. The one that looses most likely will go home.

I give a Belgium this one, just because I've never seen Britain's playing basketball Biggrin

What I've seen so far from these two teams, I give Let and Lit 50-50... It will be tough one.

Serbia must have this one! It is a game for the 2nd round! Ill be happy to see McCaleb again! That guy is just a joy to watch.
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
McCalebb picked up an injury and at least against Lithuania he was a shadow of what we've come to expect. That's good news for Serbia.

I think Lithuania will beat our braliukai. Latvia beat Lithuania back in 2007 when they had this phenom named Biedrins who went on to become perhaps the most overpaid joke of a player in the world. I didnt see that coming.
Hey, not that you mentioned, can u tell me the relation between Lithuania and Latvia, and does Estonia has something in common also? I was always curios about those 3 countries!

I am sorry, all, for the off topic but I would like to learn something interesting if there is something Smile
Wow... after three, Serbia is getting anihilated out there. A lot of inconsistency so far, by most good teams in the tournamentl.

Fun fact: Ukraine leads its group having 3 wins and no losses! And given that they have Great Britain and France left, they could finish the group with 4-1 record...

[Image: tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg]
(Sep 6, 2013, 2:52 pm)Led00 Wrote: Hey, not that you mentioned, can u tell me the relation between Lithuania and Latvia, and does Estonia has something in common also? I was always curios about those 3 countries!

I am sorry, all, for the off topic but I would like to learn something interesting if there is something Smile

Well combined the Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are known as the Baltic States. They all share a common recent history in that they were part of the Soviet Union so there's that deep bond. Politically they mostly aligned and given their small populations (3m in LT, 2m in LV and 1.3m in EE) they try to look out for each other because collectively they are still small but much more significant than on their own. They also work together very well on security issues because they look around and see Russia and Belarus as their neighbors which makes them uneasy. It's often overlooked that the 2004 accession to NATO was arguably more important for the three Baltic States than joining the EU the same year.

Latvian and Lithuanian are also the only two surviving "baltic" languages. They are similar to one another but are completely unlike any other language yet have a lot of features of ancient Sanskrit. When scholars want to learn about the phonetics of Sanskrit they travel to a small Lithuanian village. Linguistically Estonian is now in its own group but it has historic links with Finnish and Hungarian.

I think because of the language and their size, Lithuania and Latvia have more of a rivalry with each other than either have with Estonia. But it's not a real passionate rivalry, it's more of a rivalry because they are so similar kind of like the Netherlands vs. Belgium or US vs. Canada. At the end of the day they like each other and vote for each other in Eurovision.

Ethnically Lithuania is the oddball of the group. Lithuania is 84% ethnic Lithuanian with Poles being the biggest minority (around 6%). Latvia and Estonia both have massive Russian minorities (LV = 27%, EE = 25%) and in 5 out of the 6 largest Latvian cities ethnic Latvians do not make up the majority.

The capitals of all three Baltic States are beautiful yet completely different and the old towns of Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn are all UNESCO world heritage sites. I think the Baltics make for one of Europe's best tourist stops and yet they are mostly only visited by British stag parties to one of the Baltic capitals for a weekend. If you do it properly you can start in Vilnius then take a 5 hour bus to Riga then another 5 hour bus to Tallinn and then a 90 minute ferry to Helsinki and suddenly you've seen four fantastic capitals in Europe, all unique and charming.

Sport-wise it's Basketball for Lithuania, Ice Hockey for Latvia and Football for Estonia.
Day 4

Spain vs Czech Republic
Russia vs Sweden
Croatia vs Poland
Italy vs Finland
Georgia vs Slovenia
Turkey vs Greece

***Spanoulis will most likely (95%) not play against Turkey.
BTW, did you guys saw Nedovic's sick dunk yesterday...?

(Sep 7, 2013, 1:58 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: BTW, did you guys saw Nedovic's sick dunk yesterday...?

Nice, Nedovic is solid and I expect him to make a surprise run for Rookie of the Year in the NBA next year. I would put him and Ben McLemore as the two most likely to win that title at this point.
(Sep 7, 2013, 5:22 pm)skangles Wrote: Nice, Nedovic is solid and I expect him to make a surprise run for Rookie of the Year in the NBA next year. I would put him and Ben McLemore as the two most likely to win that title at this point.

Ehh, to be honest, I'm really not positive -at all- that he'll get enough minutes in order to compete for the trophy. He as Curry, Thompson and Iggy to compete against for minutes. The Warriors are a legit Western Conference force now, so I don't think he'll get many minutes. I hope I'm wrong though.
Kaimakoglou either looks like a Superhero or he's about to rob somebody with his crazy blue face mask!
Great game by Greece. We dominated Turkey without Spanoulis, winning by 24 (biggest lead).

Zisis was the engine with 11 assists (= amazing for FIBA) and Bourousis ended up with 21 points on 7/8. We had crazy %'s in 3's with 10/15 and nearly 60% in 2's. Great game.

Now, with or without Spanoulis, we'll play for the top spot with Italy tomorrow.
^ This.

I still wait to see how Turkey's team can actually perform as a good team outside Turkey.

They've been half-baked the whole tournament. Even after tonight's match, Tanjevic already had his mind settled in thoughts about how they would match up against whatever team in the quarter finals?!

I mean who does that??? Rolleyes Blink
[Image: paok0bw.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eurobasket 2013 rikhardur 21 15,683 Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 pm
Last Post: Fivepack
  Eurobasket 2013 - Qualifying round TeoTheGreek13 23 13,703 May 4, 2013, 9:27 am
Last Post: ZEUS