Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurobasket 2013 - Discussion
Let's go fellas... let's give a bit of life in the forum! Eurobasket is right around the corner!

Group A:

Ukraine
Great Britain
France
Germany
Israel
Belgium

Group B:

Bosnia & Herzegovina
Lithuania
F.Y.R.O.M.
Montenegro
Serbia
Latvia

Group C:

Poland
Slovenia
Spain
Croatia
Czech Republic
Georgia

Group D:

Finland
Greece
Russia
Italy
Sweden
Turkey

Go Greece!!!
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
Let the predictions begin!

Israel vs Great Britain
Latvia vs Bosnia & Herzegovina
Georgia vs Poland
Turkey vs Finland
Belgium vs Ukraine
F.Y.R.O.M. vs Montenegro
Spain vs Croatia
Sweden vs Greece
France vs Germany
Serbia vs Lithuania
Czech Republic vs Slovenia
Russia vs Italy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Key absences:

Serbia: Milos Teodosic, Dusko Savanovic, Novica Velickovic
Croatia: Zoran Planinic
Slovenia: Erazem Lorbek, Beno Udrih, Sasha Vujacic
Russia: Andrei Kirilanko, Viktor Khryapa, Sasha Kaun, Timofey Mozgov
Great Britain: Luol Deng, Joel Freeland
Montenegro: Nikola Pekovic
Lithuania: Sarunas Jasikevicius, Paulius Jankunas, Simas Jasaitis
Latvia: Andris Biedrins
Croatia: Marko Popovic
Italy: Danilo Gallinari, Andrea Bargnani, Daniel Hackett
Spain: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Felipe Reyes, Serge Ibaka, Nikola Mirotic
Greece: Kostas Koufos, Nick Calathes, Sofoklis Schortsianitis
Georgia: Zaza Pachulia
Germany: Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Kaman
France: Joakim Noah, Ronny Turiaf, Kevin Seraphin
Turkey: Enes Kanter, Kerem Tunceri, Omer Onan
U forgot to add Vladimir Lucic‡, Micov with the Serbian absences.

I feel exactly the same as for years ago when Serbia made its powerful return to the basket scene taking silver medal. No one expected that. Now, the atmosphere is the same, because we are missing some key players, but their substitutes could be just as good as they were four years ago. All in all, can't predict nothing with this squad, but secretly hoping for top6.

I thought that last EB was the most equal ever, but this one is even more. Every team can beat every team, but slight favorites are Spain and France because the experience in their teams.
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
(Sep 3, 2013, 8:18 am)Led00 Wrote: U forgot to add Vladimir Lucic, Micov with the Serbian absences.

I feel exactly the same as for years ago when Serbia made its powerful return to the basket scene taking silver medal. No one expected that. Now, the atmosphere is the same, because we are missing some key players, but their substitutes could be just as good as they were four years ago. All in all, can't predict nothing with this squad, but secretly hoping for top6.

I thought that last EB was the most equal ever, but this one is even more. Every team can beat every team, but slight favorites are Spain and France because the experience in their teams.

I relly hope you guys become a force again. It feels somewhat weird that Serbia hasn't won anything in so many years. I wish Serbia best of luck.

As for the favorites, despite the absences, Spain and France are still two of the biggest if not THE biggest favorites and people also have Greece up there and we were actually #1 in the "power rankings" for many weeks. But I won't say anything and just wait to see them play because they have been a disappointment the past 2-3 years.
The reason I didn't mention Greek is not because of its strength, but their mentality which didn't brought good results over the past few years. I hope we will see them showing their full potential, and only then will they be candidates for the medal. Spain and France have that history behind them which gives them confidence, and I hope that will be their weakness.

As for Serbia, it is obvious that results vanished with Yugoslavia. For almost a decade, Serbia was only in politics, trying to survive, and that reflected on the sports as well. But new generations are coming, and they are better and better, so I am not scared for the Rio, but only wish that we qualify!
(Mar 4, 2012, 7:59 pm)KAPALI Wrote: "...I can show U what I am everytime everywhere your web artist..."
Israel vs Great Britain
Georgia vs Poland
Turkey vs Finland
Belgium vs Ukraine
F.Y.R.O.M. vs Montenegro
Spain vs Croatia
Sweden vs Greece

France vs Germany
Serbia vs Lithuania

Russia vs Italy

I like your key absences chart Teo, the scariest part is just how stacked Turkey is. I thought you forgot about them on your list but nope, they are just that stacked right now. I think Turkey is the team to beat along with Slovenia because they are the hosts and also a damn good team.

The oddsmakers seem to think its Spain, Greece, France, Lithuania, Slovenia, Serbia and Turkey in that order. Turkey only 7th? That's nuts, I'm not a betting man but if I were it seems like putting some money on Turkey may be a risk worth taking.
By the way, when did you become a Moderator? Good for you, Teo.
(Sep 4, 2013, 2:50 am)skangles Wrote: Israel vs Great Britain
Georgia vs Poland
Turkey vs Finland
Belgium vs Ukraine
F.Y.R.O.M. vs Montenegro
Spain vs Croatia
Sweden vs Greece
France vs Germany
Serbia vs Lithuania
Russia vs Italy

I like your key absences chart Teo, the scariest part is just how stacked Turkey is. I thought you forgot about them on your list but nope, they are just that stacked right now. I think Turkey is the team to beat along with Slovenia because they are the hosts and also a damn good team.

The oddsmakers seem to think its Spain, Greece, France, Lithuania, Slovenia, Serbia and Turkey in that order. Turkey only 7th? That's nuts, I'm not a betting man but if I were it seems like putting some money on Turkey may be a risk worth taking.

To be honest with you, I don't really see Turkey doing anything good. They were just as "stacked" in 2011 and they did nothing. I believe it's not coincidence that their only two distinction (medals) came in tournaments that were held in Turkey. They got some very good individuals with Ilyasova headlining the list (at least for FIBA basketball) but they don't have the depth and the experience to do something great and over-achieve. Their strongest weapon is their big guys and the packing of the paint and therefore their effective defense with Asik first and foremost and then Erden and Savas.

I don't know, I'm not sold on them.

Yeah, Vilius contacted me some months ago as he saw I was visting the site from time to time and asked me if I wanted to join the team in order to maybe recruit some new members and also ban spammers and delete their posts and all that.
(Sep 4, 2013, 3:52 am)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: [font=Comic Sans MS]To be honest with you, I don't really see Turkey doing anything good. They were just as "stacked" in 2011 and they did nothing. I believe it's not coincidence that their only two distinction (medals) came in tournaments that were held in Turkey. They got some very good individuals with Ilyasova headlining the list (at least for FIBA basketball) but they don't have the depth and the experience to do something great and over-achieve. Their strongest weapon is their big guys and the packing of the paint and therefore their effective defense with Asik first and foremost and then Erden and Savas.

I don't know, I'm not sold on them.

We have a strong squad but I also feel something's missing. Still, if we can score 30-35 per cent behind the ark and 75+ per cent at free throws we can easily reach quarter finals I guess.

I trust in the team's defense and willingness that they would play every single game until the last second. However, medal is something beyond that.

I also see some weaknesses at the team but I won'!t share them as a loyal fan Smile ))

I wish a beautiful tournament to all.
(Sep 2, 2013, 10:22 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: Let the predictions begin!

Israel vs Great Britain
Georgia vs Poland
Turkey vs Finland
Belgium vs Ukraine
F.Y.R.O.M. vs Montenegro
Spain vs Croatia
Sweden vs Greece
France vs Germany
Serbia vs Lithuania
Russia vs Italy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Key absences:

Serbia: Milos Teodosic, Dusko Savanovic, Novica Velickovic
Croatia: Zoran Planinic
Slovenia: Erazem Lorbek, Beno Udrih, Sasha Vujacic
Russia: Andrei Kirilanko, Viktor Khryapa, Sasha Kaun, Timofey Mozgov
Great Britain: Luol Deng, Joel Freeland
Montenegro: Nikola Pekovic
Lithuania: Sarunas Jasikevicius, Paulius Jankunas, Simas Jasaitis
Latvia: Andris Biedrins
Croatia: Marko Popovic
Italy: Danilo Gallinari, Andrea Bargnani, Daniel Hackett
Spain: Pau Gasol, Juan Carlos Navarro, Felipe Reyes, Serge Ibaka, Nikola Mirotic
Greece: Kostas Koufos, Nick Calathes, Sofoklis Schortsianitis
Georgia: Zaza Pachulia
Germany: Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Kaman
France: Joakim Noah, Ronny Turiaf, Kevin Seraphin

Kanter and Tunceri for Turkey

--------------
Onan too
(Sep 4, 2013, 11:29 am)vakasimo2 Wrote: Kanter and Tunceri for Turkey

--------------

Onan too

Oh, didn't know. Imma add them now.
(Sep 4, 2013, 11:36 am)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: Oh, didn't know. Imma add them now.

----------

Don't bother.

We're still better about absences than others.
You guys are overvaluing "experience". France hadn't done anything before Eurobasket 2011 but that didnt stop them from being contenders. It's all about the team you put together in the here and now. I agree that having played together helps a lot but any of the 8-10 teams that can legitimately win Eurobasket 2013 has enough experience it's just a matter of whether they can play well enough to get the job done.
(Sep 4, 2013, 1:21 pm)skangles Wrote: You guys are overvaluing "experience". France hadn't done anything before Eurobasket 2011 but that didnt stop them from being contenders. It's all about the team you put together in the here and now. I agree that having played together helps a lot but any of the 8-10 teams that can legitimately win Eurobasket 2013 has enough experience it's just a matter of whether they can play well enough to get the job done.

France had much better players though. And more in quantity as well. What I meant to say is that they don't have experience among other things.
Shaky start, but eventually easy win for Greece with 28 points (would be 30 and 49 points against if we didn't lose the ball in the last damn play).

And WOW @ Montenegro and Ukraine screwing my predictions with one-point wins after big comebacks.
Pretty shocking defeat for Turkey against Finland. Turkey most likely underestimated them.

Also, great win for team GB?! I thought Israel would have that one in the bag...
[Image: paok0bw.gif]
Wow, Serbia won this one!!! Didn't see that coming at all!

+ definitely Nedovic‡, who kicks ass, and youngsters with unbelievable motive to prove they will be great players (Serbia ones again the youngest team at EB )

- A lot of the game was based around Krstic‡ who was dead in the 4.Q. He was guarded by 4 different giants throughout the match, managed to score 20 points and 9 rebs, but lost energy.

In next games, I would like to see him resting a little bit more so he can play at the top level till the end of the tournament.

Everything else looks very promising!
Nedovic was an absolute stud! I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for Golden State next season.

For Lithuania it was a pathetic performance from Kleiza and K. Lavrinovic and it was even more ridiculous that Kazlauskas allowed it to continue. Horrible coaching for not sitting these guys down. They were both terrible and yet kept taking every shot they could while Kazlauskas sat on his hand. Every time Lithuania had any sort of momentum going either Kleiza or Ksistof destroyed it immediately. These two idiots combined to go 3/18 from the field and Kazlauskas thought maybe they'd get hot? Meanwhile he kept Motiejunas on the bench? Awful coaching, they deserved to lose for that.

With that said, both Kalnietis and Darjus Lavrinovic had really strong showings.
Unfortunately I was very tired to watch the last group of games. I watched Serbia vs Lithuania until only a few minutes into the second half but I was half-asleep in the 1st half so I didn't really see much. It wasn't what you'd call a nice game though. This game actually, made me realise how much of its prestige Eurobasket lost this season with all those absences. A few years ago, the Serbia vs Lithuania game would be a battlefield full of star players... And those two teams are just an example.

By the way, my predictions were atrocious man... 4/12? Wow. The most shocking one was France losing to Germany... I mean... damn.

Looking forward to day 2.
Day 2

Ukraine vs Israel
Montenegro vs Latvia
Croatia vs Georgia
Finland vs Sweden ...50/50 really
Germany vs Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina vs Serbia
Poland vs Czech Republic
Italy vs Turkey
Great Britain vs France
Lithuania vs F.Y.R.O.M. ...50/50 as well
Slovenia vs Spain
Greece vs Russia

It fucking sucks that we play at the same time as Slovenia vs Spain... I wanted to see that game.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eurobasket 2013 rikhardur 21 15,683 Aug 26, 2013, 10:58 pm
Last Post: Fivepack
  Eurobasket 2013 - Qualifying round TeoTheGreek13 23 13,703 May 4, 2013, 9:27 am
Last Post: ZEUS