Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final
April 10th Charleroi, Belgium

[Image: 5fae8dff-b186-4e7f-a158-c16e8e479736.jpg] vs [Image: 5fae8dff-b186-4e7f-a158-c16e8e479736.jpg]

The game will broadcasted on lots of televisions around the globe. I'll add the full list when it is published. The main channel that most of our members can see is Eurosport 2.

Post your predictions and please vote in the poll.

If Rytas has all players fit I'd give them the same chances as for Real. Defence could be a key to a win for Rytas. I'll post more detailed opinion later.
I think Real Madrid will win as there the only team i have heard of
Good logic there. <!-- sRolleyes -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif[/img]<!-- sRolleyes -->

Having said that, I fancy Real to take this one. Just been checking results in the ULEB Cup and Real have been pretty strong in the knockout stages, more so than Rytas.
I'd hope that Rytas would win, but to be honest, Madrid have been the better team, recently.

Still, should be a great final.
More opinions?
I believe that Real is the favorite,although deep inside I hope of Letuvas stealing the win with an NBA performance by Kareem Rush!!!He is underachieving so far so here is a good chance for him to give reason of the high expectations of the fans on him!Go Kareem!!!
Real Madrid is the main favorite, I guess that's unquestionable. Despiste their recent lost of shape in the ACB, one should not forget those consecutive games unbeaten they had as well as the improvement throughout the cup. I believe Real Madrid will win, but a surprise indeed cannot be ruled out, Rytas already proved me wrong more than once. It's amazing how such an unstable team (and I'm referring especially to the coach position of course) managed to reach the cup final.
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Actually, it is quite shocking that even with the coaching troubles they've made it to the final. And for a final, form often goes out the window.

I guess it really does show how much quality Rytas have and that they should be playing in the Euroleague.
The same goes with Rytas. They lost to Ventspils and Siauliai in BBL and to Zalgiris in LKL. Their form looks pathetic. Of course players can't get the final out of their heads and this doesn't increase theor performance. Kareem Rush is just a shadow of himself when he is guarded. He scored only 5 points against Zalgiris. And he is very important player.

If both teams play attacking basketball in the final then I don't see real chances for Rytas to win it. Because they don't have many strong offensive players while Real is full of them. Rytas main offensive weapon could be 3-pointers. But that is unlikely to happen in such an important game.

If the game is defensive it could be good for Rytas. Let's hope Trifunovic knows what he's doing.
I don't believe that Rytas have any chance to win this trophy again. Not this year. Real is back to his best and this team looks fantastic. While rytas is strugling in weak Baltic championship and Real is first at ACB. I like both team a lot but after all I will be with my town team - RYTAS! Come on boys break all expectations <!-- sWink -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif[/img]<!-- sWink -->
Two pre-final interviews one of Eurelijus ?ukauskas and the other of Felipe Reyes.

Quote:[Image: 7dd1e5a9-6d1e-44ba-805c-0858188b732f.jpg] [Image: 7dd1e5a9-6d1e-44ba-805c-0858188b732f.jpg]

It's great to see you going to the ULEB Cup Final, Eurelijus, especially after your long-term injury last season. How happy are you to be back on court and trying to win this trophy for Lietuvos Rytas?

"I feel very happy advancing to the ULEB Cup final. Certainly I still feel some after-effects of my complicated injury. Personally this season is not the best one in my career. However, I am ready to help my teammates as much as possible."

Of course, you have won continental titles before, the 1999 Euroleague crown with Zalgiris, the 2003 Eurobasket with Lithuania, the FIBA Europe League in 2004 with Unics. Which of those do you treasure most and why?

"All those titles allow me to reflect on precious memories. These titles are the best highlights of my career. I had to work a lot in order to win them. To make every effort, analyze many teams and so on. However, the most memorable is the European Championshup title won with the Lithuanian national team. We played our best in Sweden. For me, personally, that championship was really successful too."

Are all title games different? Or is there some factor in common that all teams need to do if they want to win a single-game final like the one coming up in Charleroi?

"The main thing we should show on the court in Charleroi is team spirit. In Lithuania, we play collective team basketball. That is the only one way to reach our goal. The ULEB Cup final is not an exception."

Some of your teammates have won this title previously, in 2005. What would it mean for you at this point in your career to lift the ULEB Cup trophy?

"Undoubtedly, it would be great to win this trophy in Charleroi. This season was not easy for me, especially from the psychological side. I had to recover after an injury and as a result, I was missing basketball and winning titles as well."

In recent years, you've played in Italy, Russia, Turkey and Greece. Was it important for you after the injury to come home and play in Lithuania again?

"I do not think that recovering from the injury in my native country is much easier than it would be abroad. Lithuanians know everything about basketball. Our fans want to win all the competitions and their demands are unbelievable! Players read newspapers and get a lot of criticism. Perhaps I feel good playing basketball in Lithuania because of the sense that I can give all my heart not for Greeks or Turks but for Lithuanians."

What is your opinion about the state of Lithuanian basketball?

"In my mind, the Lithuanian national championship has risen to higher levels. When I began my career abroad, the second strong team, Lietuvos Rytas, was just building up. Now we have two powerful teams, Lietuvos Rytas and Zalgiris. A lot of fans go for Lietuvos Rytas. Moreover, a new modern gym was built in Vilnius and it is always sold out. Generally speaking, it is not easy to play road games with other Lithuanian clubs, either."

Since this is your first ULEB Cup season, how do you rate the basketball level you have found in this competition?

"For sure the ULEB Cup is the second strongest tournament in Europe after the Euroleague. And I have found quite a high level of play here. There are many strong teams participating in ULEB Cup. I am sure that some of them could compete in the Euroleague without problems. We reached the ULEB Cup final and it was a great win for us."

In the final, Lietuvos Rytas faces the winningest team in European basketball history, Real Madrid. What do you see as the key to beating Madrid?

"I need to say one more time that we have to play as a team and demonstrate quality basketball. This could be as the key to win this title. Also we have to stop the leaders of Real Madrid and not let them have open shots. Another very important factor is going into the game with a positive outlook."

You are well-known as a top shot-blocker, rebounder and unique passer for someone your size. Against a team like Madrid, that has dominated the paint lately, what sort of personal contribution do you hope to make in the final?

"I promise to do whatever I can do playing in the paint. Obviously, our opponents will do everything to stop our low-post players, too."

Many people remember your team's fans being a strong factor in Charleroi when the team won in 2005. Is that an advantage for Lietuvos Rytas this time as well?

"Our fans will give Lietuvos Rytas the chance to feel like we're playing in our own gym. It is always wonderful to play before our passionate fans. I hope our opponents will feel the pressure in Charleroi and that it will be a really positive factor. I remember the European championships in 2003 in Stockholm. A lot of Lithuanians came there and the atmosphere was fantastic!"

Quote:[center][Image: 7dd1e5a9-6d1e-44ba-805c-0858188b732f.jpg] [Image: 7dd1e5a9-6d1e-44ba-805c-0858188b732f.jpg][/center]

Felipe, congratulations on reaching the ULEB Cup Final. Very few players have had the chance to be world champion and lift a continental trophy in the same season. What would it mean to you if you could add the ULEB Cup to your personal roll of honors?

"It would mean a lot. Like any other player, it is important to win titles at the domestic or continental level. When it comes to winning the ULEB Cup, it is not only winning an important title, as it also comes with a Euroleague ticket for next season. This was one of our priorities at the beginning of the season. Our goal was to fight for every competition and this is what we have done so far. We made it to the Spanish King's Cup final and could not win the title, so we hope that won't happen again this time. We are all looking forward to this game, with a lot of confidence. We know it will be tough, but of course we can do it."

With Madrid facing elimination in the second semifinal game against Unics, you were unstoppable, scoring 23 points and pulling 16 rebounds, your career high in ULEB Cup or Euroleague play. Was that one of your best games ever?

"Yes, I consider it one of the best, due to the importance of that game. It was a do-or-die game for us and I happened to play a great game, even close to perfection. This is one of the games I will always keep in my mind."

In the final, you will face Lietuvos Rytas, an experienced team that won this competition in 2005. What do you know about them and what do you have to do in order to win?

"We played against them in the pre-season, but they have changed a lot, and we have also changed because of injuries. L.Rytas is a solid team with a lot of great shooters at all positions. I think that, more or less, they are quite similar to Unics Kazan, a team in which every player can hit the outside shot. If we want to win the final, we have to be really focused as soon as we step on court, not allowing them to take outside shots and start feeling confident."

Your older brother Alfonso was with Madrid when it lost the ULEB Cup Final in Charleroi three years ago. Considering that he has taught you a lot already, will you seek his advice before this title game?

"I will call him, but I won't ask him much about the game, because I have already played too many finals. I am proud to play the ULEB Cup Final, and it is true that my brother played it before me, but I don't think it is necessary to speak to him about this. Maybe I will call him to ask him about the atmosphere in the final, because I already played in the Spiroudome, too, when I was with Estudiantes."

Real Madrid started slow in the ULEB Cup, losing three of its first four games, but has since won 11 of 12 to reach the final. What effect did those early losses have on the team?

"Well, those losses came when we were unbeaten in the Spanish League and everything seemed to be working well for us. We didn't play the same way in the ULEB Cup, however, and I think it was like a wake-up call. It helped us to face games with more intensity and we even managed to win our regular season group in the end."

You played the ULEB Cup for three seasons with Estudiantes and before this first appearance with Real Madrid. What do you think about the ULEB Cup's evolution in terms of playing level and organization?

"Like you said, I have played the ULEB Cup for many years and the playing level is better than ever this season. It is also true that we had to face a very tough regular season group, so I might have an elevated impression. But I really think that the playing level has increased over the years. It was really tough for us to make it to the ULEB Cup Final."

Congratulations, too, on becoming the ULEB Cup's all-time top rebounder recently. What advice would you give young players who want to become better rebounders?

"I was told about it and it is a nice thing to happen. It is difficult what to tell the young players out there. The most important thing is positioning well to get the rebounds, as well as wanting to grab it. We have to work hard in order to get the best position to grab rebounds. Instinct is important, but it is the will to grab rebounds that is most important in the end."

Since returning with the World Championships gold medal, you seem more focused than ever. How important was the gold medal for your confidence, especially for such games such as the ULEB Cup Final?

"The gold medal and the World Championship title have been very important for all the players that belonged to that team. They gave us a lot of confidence, as we all belong to the world champion squad. They give you extra confidence, something that you didn't have before. You really believe in yourself even more and realize you are a better player than you were, or at least better than you thought you were."

Is it difficult sometimes trying to live up to the legacy of Real Madrid name or do you take as motivation trying to match the club's past accomplishments?

"I don't think there is an extra motivation to play for Real Madrid. Of course, you have more pressure playing for this team than in any other. Everyone speaks about you in the press, but pressure and responsability is something that you have to deal with and carry on your own. The best thing you can do is try to forget about having too much pressure, avoid thinking too much about it and try to play the best basketball you can."
Ahh, It's tomorrow. Can't wait. Hopefully I won't be disappointed and Rytas will do well. Winning may be a bit out of their reach - but all I ask for is some good competition.

Getting a friend over to watch the game. Guy's not really into basketball, but I think he'll enjoy the occasion.

Good luck, eh <!-- s:thup: -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/thup.gif[/img]<!-- s:thup: -->
The game will have online broadcast on Eurosport's website.
Real Madrid takes the trophy!

Lietuvos Rytas 75 Real Madrid 87

(Matt Nielsen 11 pts + 8 rebs (Rush 10 pts) | (Charles Smith 19 pts (6/8 3pt) (Reyes 16 pts + 8 rebs))

Charles Smith named the MVP of the final!
Well, there you have it - Madrid, champions. Rytas did alright up to the second half when mistakes offensively and defensively started creeping in and they found themselves 10 points down.

Rush didn't do all that great as he was well covered and 3-point shooting overall was pretty slack as was free-throw shooting. Rebounds weren't bad till about the end, and offensive rebounds were equal, Madrid even had one more turnover and fouled more. So - it all came down to the accuracy of the shooting and loose defending. In my opinion, of course.

They may make it to the Euroleague and it would be nice to see 2 Lithuanian teams participating.
Lithuania definetly deserves 2 Euroleague spots.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EuroChallenge Final Four alen 13 9,018 May 3, 2011, 7:50 pm
Last Post: stefans
  Eurocup Final Four stefans 6 5,771 Apr 17, 2011, 10:38 pm
  Eurochallenge Final 4 stefans 6 6,793 May 4, 2010, 6:15 pm
  Eurocup final: Lietuvos Rytas vs Khimki rikhardur 13 7,691 Apr 7, 2009, 11:17 am
Last Post: Black Urum
  FIBA EuroCup Final Four Black Urum 4 4,683 Apr 17, 2008, 10:11 am
Last Post: Black Urum