Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deron Williams 50 pts game
Deron Williams drops 50, sets new record (vid)

Quote:In a game-to-remember last night, Deron Williams led his Besiktas club to a win over Gottingen, scoring 50 points!

The Eurochallenge game took place in Istanbul and the Turkish home side emerged winners 105-94. Although Eurochallenge is admittedly the weakest one of the three major European Cups, 50 points in a game (scoring almost half of his team's points in the proccess) is not something fans are accustomed to, especially in Europe.

Williams was the first NBA player to jointhe ranks of a European club due to lockout, long before anyone else. Truth is, his game translated very well into the European style. No doubt, he is the best "lockout" player to be playing in Europe right now, regrettably not playing in Euroleague though. Or even in Eurocup from where his team was knocked out in the qualifying phase.

Williams went for 7/10 from behind the arc and 10/13 for 2FG, putting up a very impressive 17/23 (75%) from the field. He also added 9/11 free throws into his impressive statline and ended the night with an index ranking of 50.

Here's the video of his exceptional performance:

Apparently Williams' 50 points in a game is a new scoring record for Eurochallenge competition, which was eatablished in 2003/04 season, adding his name to a list of prolific scorers such as Damir Mrsic and Fernando San Emeterio.

He is also the first player to have passed the 40 points mark
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Impressive, could be more impressive if he didn't ruin his team's efforts in the Eurocup qualis and then score 50 in the Eurocup Biggrin
^^That's true! At least now he is playing well. He seems to be recovering from is wrist surgery just fine. He is also adjusting to Euro play. Kudos for him. Too bad its not in EuroleagueSad^^

How cool is it that the starting point-guard for Team USA will possibly have a year of Euro FIBA experience!!!?
(Nov 23, 2011, 6:04 pm)Raze Lupin Wrote: ^^That's true! At least now he is playing well. He seems to be recovering from is wrist surgery just fine. He is also adjusting to Euro play. Kudos for him. Too bad its not in EuroleagueSad^^

How cool is it that the starting point-guard for Team USA will possibly have a year of Euro FIBA experience!!!?

Isn't Chris Paul the starting PG?? Huh

In my opinion Deron is better but I thought that you(Americans) consider Paul as the better one. Bag
[Image: panathinaikos-basket-opadoi.jpg]
^ they play differently so it is tough to compare. Paul is definitely the more successful of the two in the NBA. What he has done with Hornets teams that weren't even remotely as talented as Williams' Jazz squads says it all. He also had a pretty nasty injury for such a young player but he appears to have bounced back quite nicely.

I think that Deron's size makes him a better fit for FIBA play. Regarding the roster nothing is set but barring injury Colangelo and Coach K seem to love Williams and Paul so it is a safe bet that they'll both be on the team. As for the starter, that is very much up in the air.
IMO if they bring a team full of superstars the PG should be a guy like Rondo, his low point production won't be a problem in a team full of scorers and a real pass-first PG will fit such team the best, and I can't see any player better than Rondo for that mission.
(Nov 23, 2011, 6:41 pm)skangles Wrote: I think that Deron's size makes him a better fit for FIBA play.

I don't think size matters as much as people think in Europe. Just look at McCalebb. Or McIntyre before him.

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.

Deron Williams jersey retired

(Nov 30, 2011, 10:08 am)Black Urum Wrote: Deron Williams jersey retired

It's ridiculous to retire a player's jersey after just some games. Thudown
(Nov 30, 2011, 2:33 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: It's ridiculous to retire a player's jersey after just some games. Thudown

They have money but it's Small club Biggrin Biggrin
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Nov 30, 2011, 2:33 pm)TeoTheGreek13 Wrote: It's ridiculous to retire a player's jersey after just some games. Thudown

This. Thup
What if Turkey naturalized Deron Williams!?? Turkey would be unstoppable!*exaggeration* #hyperbole
(Dec 3, 2011, 12:30 am)Raze Lupin Wrote: What if Turkey naturalized Deron Williams!?? Turkey would be unstoppable!*exaggeration* #hyperbole

As far i know ,he already played for USA so i don't think that he will play for Turkey NT.
[Image: 26637_navijanjeee409_blic_markodjurica_f.jpg]
(Dec 3, 2011, 12:30 am)Raze Lupin Wrote: What if Turkey naturalized Deron Williams!?? Turkey would be unstoppable!*exaggeration* #hyperbole

I don't think so! Bag

Anyway, I don't see why Deron would do something like that... Mellow
(Nov 23, 2011, 6:41 pm)MaccabiTA Wrote: IMO if they bring a team full of superstars the PG should be a guy like Rondo, his low point production won't be a problem in a team full of scorers and a real pass-first PG will fit such team the best, and I can't see any player better than Rondo for that mission.

Just because Rondo can't score doesn't mean he is more of a pass first PG than Deron or Chris Paul.He passes because that's all he can do,Williams can organize as well as him while being also an offensive threat.

It'll be interesting to see how Besiktas intents to fill Deron's shoes.It won't be easy but i have faith in Ergin Ataman to find the best possible solution.
^ Hey welcome to the boards man!!!!!! About time to have found another PAOK fan on here Biggrin

Hope to see you around frequently on the boards Smile
[Image: paok0bw.gif]