Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarter-Finals Game 2
April 3rd

Olympiakos Piraeus - CSKA Moscow Bc 73-83 / 2 / (+10)

Fenerbahce Ulker - Montepaschi Siena 65-86 / 2 / (+21)

Partizan Igokea - TAU Ceramica 76-55 / 1 / (+21)

AXA Fc Barcelona - Maccabi Elite Tel Aviv 83-74 / 1 / (+9)
About the Olympiakos - CSKA game I have some comments to do. Feel free to ask questions or correct me if I'm wrong ( or even ignore my post <!-- sSmile -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]<!-- sSmile --> )

After the end of the first period I was 100% sure, that Olympiakos will beat CSKA for one more time. There were many reasons I think, for such thoughts. Olympiakos ( sorry for my tone ) crushed CSKA in the first period, Bourousis, Woods and Blackney were simply great, and we were playing great defense on CSKA's guards and forwards. But all of sudden, CSKA managed to overtake Oly's margin of 12 points, in only 2(!!!!) mins.

There are two explanations for this matter. The first one of course is that Oly is a team with a very little experience in "do or die" situations, and cannot manage easily the margin on +12 points. The second explanations is, CSKA Moscow is a HUGE team, in every aspect of the game. In defense, in attack, in pick n' roll, in pick n' pop ( especially with players like Smodis and Andersen, able to score from the 3points line, when they will have the opportunity to ) etc. So, their PSYCHOLOGY, was "in the 7th heaven" and Oly's players' one was in bottom of the earth.

Yiannakis did 2 great mistakes today. The first one was, that he started the "god damned" ( <!-- s:p -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif[/img]<!-- s:p --> ) 2nd period ( when Oly was in front, with a +12 margin ) with Vasiliades, Macijauskas, Blackney, Tsakalides and Printezis in the starting five! WTF man ? 5 rezerves ? Anyway... The second HUGE mistake, is that he wasn't able to stop CSKA's "impetus" in the 3rd period, where the game substantially finished ( I don't know, if you remember the moment where G-R-E-A-T ( tonight ) Siskauskas scored a three pointer. At the same time, Tsakalides pushed Smodis ( I think ) and CSKA had the ball once again, and Siska scored another three pointer ( 6 points in one attack and the score was 45-60, +15 for CSKA ).

CSKA's win, was FAIR and "SQUARE". The refs were pretty bad for both sides ( I think they were the main reason, Vassilopoulos did such a bad game tonight, 2 fouls that didn't exist, in the first 5 mins of the game. At least that what I saw from the stadium ), and I hope we will get more help from some key players next time, like Greer, Bouroussis and someday from Macas. The key for CSKA today, was their three pointer percentage, and key players were Papaloukas and Siskauskas.

PS. I have some pics and some videos from the game, but sorry guys, I'm not really in mood to upload them tonight. Maybe tomorrow... <!-- sSad -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif[/img]<!-- sSad -->

PS2. There were max, 13.000 fans in SEF tonight!
Good game review Rivers7. Your posts are interesting to read <!-- s:thup: -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/thup.gif[/img]<!-- s:thup: -->

I have to admit that I had similar thoughts in the 1st quarter. It would naive to expect CSKA to play the whole game the way they did in the beginning. Olympiakos' game collapsed in the 2nd quarter and stayed like that for the remaining time of the game. Greer was too confident in this game. I think the first win affected him. He penetrated against 3-4 taller players and got blocked a couple of times. Macas is still a dull shadow of himself. One of the things that he misses now is his speed.

Siskauskas was so calm. He's always like that but it looked like he didn't everything so easily. Great player.

I watched last 5 minutes of Partizan against TAU and cheered for the hosts a lot. It was great to see such a young team doing so well.

Do you think Oly could win Moscow again?
[quote name='"Vilius":2osy6zic']Good game review Rivers7. Your posts are interesting to read <!-- s:thup: -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/thup.gif[/img]<!-- s:thup: -->

I have to admit that I had similar thoughts in the 1st quarter. It would naive to expect CSKA to play the whole game the way they did in the beginning. Olympiakos' game collapsed in the 2nd quarter and stayed like that for the remaining time of the game. Greer was too confident in this game. I think the first win affected him. He penetrated against 3-4 taller players and got blocked a couple of times. Macas is still a dull shadow of himself. One of the things that he misses now is his speed.

Siskauskas was so calm. He's always like that but it looked like he didn't everything so easily. Great player.

I watched last 5 minutes of Partizan against TAU and cheered for the hosts a lot. It was great to see such a young team doing so well.

Do you think Oly could win Moscow again?[/quote]

Thanks for the comments! <!-- sSmile -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]<!-- sSmile -->

Well about the Moscow game, if you ask me, I think I do. I do believe Olympiakos can beat CSKA again, in their arena. But now the percentage is around 15-20% for Oly. But I think, the ultimate favorite ( of course it was from the start of the season ) is CSKA Moscow. Let's wait some more days...

About Macas situation, I think both his injuries ( the "big" one, the year have past, and the one, this year ) really hold him back in physical issues. With time to time, I think he will "find" his "lost" deadly 9m. shoot ( his main "weapon" ) and his quickness ( along with his speed ). Give him more time. We may not watch the REAL Macas in this Euroleague, but I think we will see him, physically and mentally healthy, in the Greek A1 finals, against Panathinaikos. ( no offense to Aris or Panionios fans, but I really think PAO and Oly, will manage to be in the finals this year <!-- sSmile -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/smile.gif[/img]<!-- sSmile --> )

PS. Can Siska and Papaloukas go for vacation, this month ? Just a proposition... <!-- sBiggrin -->[img]{SMILIES_PATH}/biggrin.gif[/img]<!-- sBiggrin -->
Thanks for the analysis Rivers7.

For the record Matjaz Smodis and Gianluca Basile were MVPs of the Game 2.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coaches may challenge one official's call per game this season EuroLeague News 0 307 Oct 2, 2021, 6:12 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Monaco re-signs EuroCup Finals MVP Gray EuroLeague News 0 266 Jul 27, 2021, 6:02 pm
  A title game abuzz with storylines EuroLeague News 0 328 Jun 6, 2021, 3:07 am
  Final 4 Fans, It's Game Day! EuroLeague News 0 312 Jun 2, 2021, 4:32 pm
  Game 5 losers can hold their heads high EuroLeague News 0 390 May 14, 2021, 10:17 am