Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I just can't understand
Hi fellas,

I am looking for an answer for a question that engaging my attention. Greece is one of the top basketball countries in Europe. No doubt. I was making a research about youth development philosophies in various countries such as Lithuania, France, Spain etc. I found some answers which make sense but all I could find about Greek Basketball was this:

"The Greek Basketball Youth Program is one of the least complicated systems and it relies on player fundamentals and player teamwork" (Nikos Stavropoulos, Fiba Assist Magazine, 2004)

Sooooo, if there is nothing special about Greek basketball youth development; how come Greeks can keep producing decent players? They must be good at preventing young basketballers to disappear. But what is their secret?   Huh Huh
Hi ersoz,

Welcome to the forum. I don't think one could point to a single thing that is the secret of Greek basketball. For sure, they have good coaches with plenty of success at international level, who help tremendously in development of young players. Winning tradition is also important - Greek clubs as well as the national team are considered elite. It's also related to Greek mentality to never give up. Young players know that if they work hard and prove themselves they can end up in Olympiacos or Panathinaikos and become well-paid stars. Probably our Greek members could give a better answer but these are some points that might be worth considering.
(Nov 12, 2015, 3:12 pm)talkbasket Wrote: Hi ersoz,

Welcome to the forum. I don't think one could point to a single thing that is the secret of Greek basketball. For sure, they have good coaches with plenty of success at international level, who help tremendously in development of young players. Winning tradition is also important - Greek clubs as well as the national team are considered elite. It's also related to Greek mentality to never give up. Young players know that if they work hard and prove themselves they can end up in Olympiacos or Panathinaikos and become well-paid stars. Probably our Greek members could give a better answer but these are some points that might be worth considering.

yeah that's the part I can understand but Lithuania Basketball relies on youth academies (Marciulionis Academy, Sabonis Academy etc.) France have INSEP, Spain have CFJs and in Turkey clubs have "affiliate clubs" Ghelyon Ghelyon . I bet there is some traditional way which is used by Greeks to develop young players and I failed to find anything about it online and it's a little nerve-wrecking Swoon2 .

Thanks for your opinions  but indeed I hope Greek members can give more specific answer about 18-22 years old youth development.
Ersoz, just for the record, you are doing some research or just a hobbie thing? Because you look to have done good job in exploring and comparing.