Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me choose a favorite team
I'm thinking I may start watching some euroleague ball. I find it a lot more fun to watch basketball when I have a favorite team.

So if you Europeans could give me some background on a few teams to help me choose, it'd be great.
CSKA Moscow:

Based in Moscow, Russia. AKA The Bear. Has made it to all the Final Fours in the past six years. Won it in 2006. Lost last year Final vs Panathinaikos. Has qualified to the current Final Four.

Famous players that played or play there: Andrei Kirilenko, Teo Papaloukas, JR Holden, Matzjas Smodis, Sergey Panov, Marcus Brown.

Has dominated the local Russian league with 14 championships in 16 years!

Colours: Red, White

Panathinaikos Athens:

Based in Athens, Greece. AKA The Greens. Has won the Euroleague in 1996, 2000, 2002, 2007. Four times in the past 11 seasons that is, a major achievement for any European club. Also made it to some other Finals Four like in 1994, 1995, 2001 and 2005.

Has the biggest Basketball Arena of the Euroleague, OAKA with a 18500 capacity.

It took them to sign probably the biggest NBA name who has crossed the Atlantic, Dominique Wilkins to win their first Euroleague in 1996. Other famous players who have played for them are Byron Scott, Dino Radja, Amaechi Laugh , Zeljko Rebraca, Sarunas Jasikevicius and of course Dejan 'Sex Droga i' Bodiroga... Current star is Demetris Diamantides while the symbol of the current team is Frangiskos Alvertis who has won 22 cups so far!!!

Has been dominating the domestic Greek league since ages. Has won 9 Chmapionships in the past 10 seasons.

Colours: Green, White

Maccabi Tel Aviv:

Based in Tel Aviv, Israel. One of the most historic teams of the Euroleague. Made it to numerous Final Fours, for example in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2008.

Won the Euroleague in 2001, 2004, 2005.

Famous players to play there Anthony Parker, Sarunas Jasikevivius, Nikola Vujcic, Mateo Baston, Odett Katash. Symbol of the current team is Derrick Sharp.

Their Basketball Arena got a 11000 fans capacity.

Colours: Yellow and Blue.

These are probably the three most successful clubs in the modern history of European basketball. I'm sure that other fans can write more about other historic clubs such as TAU, Real Madrid, Zalgiris, Partizan, Olympiakos and others...
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

You will see no more than 4 live games this season because only 4 teams are left in the competition at this stage and they'll meet in the Final Four in Madrid (2 semis, 3rd place game and the final). But there are loads of games available to download. I'll use Arkadios template.

Zalgiris:

[Image: zalgiris.jpg]

Based in Kaunas, Lithuania. The most successful Lithuanian club. They won Euroleague once back in 1999 in their debut season after qualifying for Euroleague by winning European Cup (I think that's what it was called then). Zalgiris has one of the lowest budgets in Euroleague and they didn't make it any ruther than Top 16.

They have an old arena with a capacity of less than 5000. Although a new arena with a capacity of around 14500 should be built in 2010.

Famous players that played or play there: Arvydas Sabonis, Rimas Kurtinaitis, Valdemaras Chomicius, Saulius Å tombergas, Tyus Edney, Marcus Brown. NBA veterans who tried their luck but failed - Rod Strickland, Kenny Anderson. Robert Pack was quite good.

Žalgiris won Lithuanian league 11 times in 14 seasons.

Colours: Green, White

Green shirt:

[Image: jersey2fu4.jpg]

White shirt:

[Image: jerseyxc4.jpg]

Video from Euroleague game against Olympiakos this season.

Also check this thread and this page. I also suggest you to read here to get the idea of how Euroleague works.
Arkadios!! exelent job! I enjoyed very much of reading u'r previuse post! well done. meight!
Just few words mate...

Olympiakos, best team of Europe in the 90's, named as "Chicago Bulls of Europe" from ESPN, in 1997-1998. Right now, the third biggest budget in Europe, after CSKA Moscow and Panathinaikos. My prediction is that it will be the new powerhouse of Europe, for the next decade. So, it's up to you, to be with the winners... Biggrin

PS. You can also choose Lietuvos Rytas, or Crvena Zvezda Bc. Both, great clubs... Smile
Lietuvos Rytas:

[Image: lietuvos_rytas.jpg]

Based in Vilnius, Lithuania. The club was established only 10 years ago but is one of the fastest progressing clubs in Europe. Rytas won Lithuanian league 3 times. In 2005 they won ULEB Cup, in 2007 they made to the final. This is only the 2nd time when Rytas play in Euroleague but both times they looked really solid. This season they won Group B in regular season. Their budget is similar to Zalgiris.

They have a new 11000 seat arena which was built in 2004.

Famous players that played or play there: Rimas Kurtinaitis, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Arvydas Macijauskas, Ramunas Siskauskas, Robertas Javtokas.

Colours: Red, Black, White

Red and Black shirt:

[Image: 2e9.jpg]

White and Grey shirt:

Lietuvos Rytas vs TAU Ceramica

Check this thread and this page. Lietuvos Rytas official website in English here.
Lietuvos Rytas:

[Image: lietuvos_rytas.jpg]

Based in Vilnius, Lithuania. The club was established only 10 years ago but is one of the fastest progressing clubs in Europe. Rytas won Lithuanian league 3 times. In 2005 they won ULEB Cup, in 2007 they made to the final. This is only the 2nd time when Rytas play in Euroleague but both times they looked really solid. This season they won Group B in regular season. Their budget is similar to Zalgiris.

They have a new 11000 seat arena which was built in 2004.

Famous players that played or play there: Rimas Kurtinaitis, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Arvydas Macijauskas, Ramunas Siskauskas, Robertas Javtokas.

Colours: Red, Black, White

Red and Black shirt:

White and Grey shirt:

Lietuvos Rytas vs TAU Ceramica

Check this thread and this page. Lietuvos Rytas official website in English here.

I'm suprised u didn't mentioned "Rytas - AKA Maccabi Ultimate hunters"... Rolleyes
Quote:I'm thinking I may start watching some euroleague ball. I find it a lot more fun to watch basketball when I have a favorite team.

So if you Europeans could give me some background on a few teams to help me choose, it'd be great.

Well, any favourites from the teams named? Smile
Wow. I never realized how exciting euroleague was. It's like NBA with teamwork.

And to think I always just thought it was the NBA's rejects.

Zaligiris seems like my kind of team.
Quote:Lietuvos Rytas:

The memories that this video brings.. I loved this year\'s team, but there was no happy ending Sad

If you become a Žalgiris fan, Straight Faced, don\'t expect any victories in Top16 Biggrin
I think that Zalgiris always have very hard oponents

Rytas had so easy group in TOP 16 this season... But they lost againsts Aris and Fener
How about a Spanish team like Real Madrid?
Quote:How about a Spanish team like Real Madrid?

Are you asking for info about Real Madrid or making a suggestion for Straight Faced? They are the club with the most titles in Europe just like in football. Though they didn't reach Euroleague Final Four for a while and even played in ULEB Cup in 2006/2007.
Nah, I thought of it as a suggestion for StraightFaced. Wink
as being not a lithuanian, i always envy lietuvos rytas "academy" , growing new talents or polishing great potentials , its resistance against every kind of teams, and high pressure with the supporters at their home games.

i have heard somewhere that toilets of the arena reaches full capacity at the half times. because of the consumption of beer during match. is it true vilius? Smile
Quote:as being not a lithuanian, i always envy lietuvos rytas "academy" , growing new talents or polishing great potentials , its resistance against every kind of teams, and high pressure with the supporters at their home games.

i have heard somewhere that toilets of the arena reaches full capacity at the half times. because of the consumption of beer during match. is it true vilius? Smile

Rytas will have their youth team from next season. Before that they were signing young players from other LKL clubs or Sarunas Marciulionis basketball academy in Vilnius. And yes they have a good sense to fight future stars.

I never went to the toilets so I cannot comment. Though the bear is very popular among spectators so it's no surprise that toilets are filled Biggrin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Team effort started, James finished the job for Monaco EuroLeague News 0 404 Nov 4, 2021, 8:55 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Maccabi, last team on Tuesday Media Day EuroLeague News 0 309 Sep 17, 2021, 1:43 pm
  All-EuroLeague Second Team unveiled EuroLeague News 0 296 May 27, 2021, 5:14 pm
  Kevin Pangos is voted to All-EuroLeague First Team EuroLeague News 0 357 May 27, 2021, 3:17 am
  Efes's Micic reaches All-EuroLeague First Team! EuroLeague News 0 363 May 26, 2021, 7:06 am