Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iverson may be out of Denver?
Quote:How long might "The Answer" stick around Denver?

The answer could be coming soon.

Gary Moore, personal manager for guard Allen Iverson, said Friday the Nuggets "seem to be very willing" to offer Iverson a multiyear contract if he were to opt out of the final year of his current deal by the June 20 deadline.

But Moore, who said he recently began talks with Denver brass about Iverson's future, declined to discuss how many years the Nuggets might be willing to give Iverson or offer monetary figures.

Iverson can opt out of a deal paying him $20.84 million next season and become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Most observers don't believe Iverson would opt out unless it was to sign a new contract with the Nuggets.

It also is not believed the Nuggets would sign Iverson to a multiyear deal unless he agreed to take less money next season.

Shortly after Denver's season ended April 28, Moore said he would have discussions with the Nuggets about Iverson, who turns 33 on June 7, possibly opting out and signing a three-year deal. But a source at the time described the Nuggets, deep into the luxury tax, as wary of committing extra dollars to Iverson.

Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien confirmed having discussions with Iverson's camp but declined further comment.

"We want to finish our career in Denver, but we have no decision on (whether Iverson will opt out)," said Moore, who added that a decision by Iverson won't be made until close to the June 20 deadline in his contract for opting out.

Moore said discussions with Nuggets officials about Iverson's future are in their early stages.

"They have gone quite well," said Moore, declining to offer specifics, other than saying the Nuggets are open to getting Iverson under contract beyond next season.

Obviously, a key factor would be what the contract numbers might be. If Iverson, in exchange for additional contract years, were to sign a new deal that paid him $5 million less next season, the Nuggets would save $10 million due to the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax.

New Jersey Nets forward Vince Carter agreed last summer to take less money for 2007-08 in exchange for additional contract years. Carter was due $16.4 million but opted out of the final year of his deal and signed a five-year contract starting at $13 million.

While Moore hasn't said Iverson would take less money next season, he has cited what Carter did as something the Iverson camp has evaluated.

ETC.: Unless Nuggets forward Bobby Jones is waived by Aug. 15, his $797,581 contract for next season becomes guaranteed. Jones could be traded by then to a team seeking to reduce its payroll. In the same position is Nuggets guard Taurean Green, whose $711,517 deal becomes guaranteed if he isn't waived by Aug. 1. Jones and Green are expected to play for the Nuggets in the Vegas Summer League, which runs from July 11-20.

Discuss.

Is Iverson out?
[Image: aug282007_kobe.jpg]
Donnie wants him to stay, so I'm thinking he will.

Donnie also wants melo out, and that might happen.
I would want Melo out, he's a ball hog who deserves to die. He just wants fame, he got it at Syracuse, now sit Carmelo. AI>Melo
carmelo is not a ball hog thats his team so A.I. will to leave before him and he is the biggest ball hog there though i would like to see him with the suns to help nash as a back up but that will never have cause he likes the spotlight to much but A.I. is finished in dever watch and see i know what im talking bout that was a bad move to bring him there he too selfish he wants the offense to run through him when thats not his team its carmelo's and carmelo need to step up the defense his passion for the game has gone out the window ever since he got to the NBA and in college carmelo carried his team he put them on his back he did everything something iverson or Lebron could never do
[quote name='"37squad":36c9r9fp']carmelo is not a ball hog thats his team so A.I. will to leave before him and he is the biggest ball hog there though i would like to see him with the suns to help nash as a back up but that will never have cause he likes the spotlight to much but A.I. is finished in dever watch and see i know what im talking bout that was a bad move to bring him there he too selfish he wants the offense to run through him when thats not his team its carmelo's and carmelo need to step up the defense his passion for the game has gone out the window ever since he got to the NBA and in college carmelo carried his team he put them on his back he did everything something iverson or Lebron could never do[/quote]

How could a ball hog lead the league in assists for half of his career?
yeah iverson has done and how i really can't see how becuase he's not that good he takes too many shots and he don't have that many assists what he average like 3 a game or somethng he has the ball during the whole game he should have more and the nuggets lack defense anyway they need some hustle players and players defensively minded other than camby and K-mart
Carmelo needs to get otu of the kitchen, he can't handle the heat, look what he's doing off court.
this is like the second time he has gotten in off court trouble 1 for what smoking weed all the players in the nba probably smoke weed and this dui could happen to anybody he is only 24. he has been doing good for so long and now people want him gone cause he messed up twice check iverson record i bet its longer than carmelo's. lets face carmelo is the face of the nuggets he's not going anywhere if anything they will continue to build around him. plus iverson is getting old and you have to look at the league the nba has a lot of guards you can replace iverson and pick up two or three above average players.there is not many SF like carmelo in the nba he can shoot, drive, jump and handle the ball don't for get he has a very good post game. so ask yourself which would be the best move. But to be honest i don't think neither is leaving i believe they are gonna pick up some free agents and drop somebody other than iverson and carmelo but this what i would do

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allen Iverson cleats, SpongeBob and lots of denim: Best of NFL Week 11 arrivals ESPN NBA 0 605 Nov 25, 2020, 12:47 am
Last Post: ESPN NBA
  Not a game! Allen Iverson is talking about social distancing ESPN NBA 0 723 May 11, 2020, 1:06 am
  Power Rankings: Denver is climbing, but the NBA's hottest team is in the East ESPN NBA 0 816 Dec 20, 2018, 4:07 pm
  CLASSIC College Hoops Game...Iverson's 1st Game @ Georgetown Kil 0 2,232 Feb 7, 2012, 7:30 pm
Last Post: Kil
  Denver Nuggets out to prove they are best in West borntowin 0 3,269 May 20, 2009, 8:10 am
Last Post: borntowin