Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Pau Gasol a joke?
(Jun 24, 2008, 4:47 am)Inquest Wrote: yes, a joke.

I feel like discussing this, so better to start a thread about it than go OT in the other one.

So, why's he a joke in your opinion?
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Heh, I visited the forum in the morning and the first thing I see is a thread by rik claiming that Pau is a joke? Has rik gone mad? Not that it would surprise me... but I realised he was referring at someone else's post Biggrin

I don't think so, Gasol is one of the best big men in the world. Hell, since he joined the Lakers, they made it to the finals, and I don't think they would do it without him.

Not to mention that he lead the Spanish NT to win the World Championship.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

He is a joke only then he losts main tournament and stays in 2nd place (2003 Eurobasket; 2007 eurobasket; NBA finals 2008) and then he cries like little girl Biggrin unfortuantly someone keeps removing his crying pictures from google Sad

However overall he is not a joke he is good player Smile Sabas even admited that PAU is best player in Europe right now
Lietuvos Rytas manager
He's not the best player in Europe.. hahahahahah
[Image: aug282007_kobe.jpg]
(Jun 25, 2008, 7:39 pm)Inquest Wrote: He's not the best player in Europe.. hahahahahah

On that I agree, my pick is definitely Nowitzki. But Gasol a joke, come on... Tongue
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
He likes to choke.

Let me tell you his stats:

On February 1, 2008, Gasol was traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, making this the second team that he has played on since 2001, along with a 2010 second round draft pick for Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, rights to Marc Gasol (Pau's younger brother), and 2008 and 2010 first round draft picks.[19] Albeit, there has been a bit of controversy surrounding the trade. Chris Wallace denied in an ESPN article that he had been ordered by owner Michael Heisley to make the Grizzlies more attractive to a potential buyer. Heisley has been trying to sell the franchise for two years. Wallace said, "No one put pressure on me to do this, and Michael Heisley has actually been reluctant to move Pau." He also said that they had been "trolling" the waters for a while and dealt with a number of teams. He selected the Lakers deal because "it didn't get any better than this."[19] When Gasol departed the Grizzlies, he held twelve franchise records, including games played, minutes played, field goals made and attempted, free throws made and attempted, offensive, defensive, and total rebounds, blocked shots, turnovers, and points. Per game statistics, he leads Memphis in defensive and total rebound along with blocked shots.[20] On February 5, he made his first Lakers appearance in the game against the New Jersey Nets, during which he scored 24 points and had 12 rebounds in a 105-90 win over the Nets.[21][22] On March 14, Gasol sprained his ankle in a game against the New Orleans Hornets, stepping on the foot of teammate Vladimir Radmanovi? in the first quarter.[23] Gasol was expected to miss the remaining three games of the Lakers' road trip after x-rays came up negative.[24] Gasol returned to the starting lineup on April 2 against the Portland Trail Blazers and played nearly thirty-two minutes, registering 10 points, six rebounds and seven assists.[25] He admitted to feeling limited with the swelling in his ankle still present.[25] Kobe Bryant has also stated that playing with Gasol clicked from the start.[3]

[edit] 2007-08 Playoffs

In the Lakers first win over the Denver Nuggets, he contributed thirty-six points, sixteen rebounds, eight assists, and three blocks.[3] When the Lakers swept the first round of the 2007-08 playoffs against the Nuggets, it was Gasol's fourth trip to the playoffs and the first time he has not been on the losing end of a series. His previous team, the Grizzlies, did not make it to the playoffs for the second year in a row. This has been Gasol's first trip beyond the first round as his team, the Lakers, made it to the Conference finals after defeating the Utah Jazz. He contributed 17 points and 13 rebounds in the Lakers clinching win to advance them to the conference finals.[26] On May 31, he recorded a career high 19 rebounds in a NBA Finals clinching win against the San Antonio Spurs. This marks his first trip to the NBA Finals, and becomes the first Spaniard to reach the finals. [27][28]

Gasol only averaged 14.7 ppg in The Finals after scoring at an 18.9 ppg clip during the regular season.[12]

He should be doing better than that..
[Image: aug282007_kobe.jpg]
(Jun 27, 2008, 3:32 am)Inquest Wrote: Gasol only averaged 14.7 ppg in The Finals after scoring at an 18.9 ppg clip during the regular season.[12]

He was guarded by DPOY Garnett and very good defensive player Perkins and he was lone Lakers' treat under the rim.
Of course not, Gasol is the next best big man of the quality that Arvydas Sabonis had, well perhaps say, minus Sabas's superior passing skills. Although Nowitzki is one of the greats too, he never had that fighting spirit under the basket to score. He was always a fade-away kinda guy, when he should also be in there banging sh*t up against the other big men. Gasol did this too. He definitely has my respect as a player, although I must admit I don't know much about him as a personality.
[Image: paok0bw.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pau Gasol official thread Black Urum 0 3,647 Nov 18, 2009, 4:17 pm
Last Post: Black Urum