Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afrobasket 2009
Next year's Afrobasket will take place in Lybia, instead of Nigeria as it was planned. Nigeria had problems providing halls and accommodation.
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
Mozambique gathered 15 players for the Afrobasket qualification to take place on 27th this month:

Gerson Novela, André Velasco (point guards), Fernando Manjate, Luís Barros, Sílvio Letela (shooting guards), Jerónimo Bispo, David Canivete Jr., Siade Cossa, Samir Adam (small forwards), Octávio Magoliço, Stélio Nuaila (power forwards), Custódio Muchate, Sete Muianga, Ivan Macome e Edson Mondlane (centres).
Kenya's roster for the qualies:

PGs:

Wycliff Ochieng (Coop)

Dan Okwiri (KPA)

Tiberious Menya (Strathmore)

Paul Onyango (KCCool

SGs:

Tobias Onyango (KCCool

Ligere Griffin (Pirates)

Kevin Samora (KCCool

Moses Mwangi (Coop)

SFs:

Victor Odendo (KCCool

Franklin Delano (Posta)

Cedric Osore (Weco Versity)

PFs:

John Paul (Posta)

Richard Osano (Coop)

Patrick Kirui (KPA)

George Kamau (Coop)

Cs:

Eric Nyamae (Lake side)

Rodger Mutai (Coop)

William Odhiambo (Posta)

Peter Kiganya (Proffesional)
The championship will take place between 5th and 15th August in Tripoli and Benghazi, Lybia.

National teams already qualified:

- Lybia (host country)

- Angola (current champion)

- Cameroon (current runner-up)

- Cape Verde (current bronze medalist)

- Nigeria

- Côte d'Ivoire
Quote:AFROBASKET 2009 - LIBYA: The organization contract will be signed today in Tripoli

It’s now official: Libya will host the 25th Africa Nations Championship for senior Men (AFROBASKET) to be played next August. This decision has been taken by the Executive Committee and approved by the Central Board of FIBA Africa after the withdrawing of Nigeria (for non conformity with the guidelines).

Since then, things have progressed: establishment of the Organizing Committee; building of arenas; refurbishing of sites etc. And recently, the presentation of the preparations by the LOC (Local Organizing Committee) during the FIBA Africa’s Central Board meeting held in Cairo, Egypt on the 25th and 26th January 2009.

An excellent presentation that was approved by the Central Board members who also made recommendations. At this occasion, the president of the LOC invited FIBA Africa’s officials in Tripoli.

To this end, the Secretary General of FIBA Africa, Dr Alphonse Bilé, the Assistant Secretary General, Mr. Adel Tooma and the President of the Commission for Competitions, Mr. Raouf Menjour are in Tripoli since yesterday Tuesday 3rd Feb. They are checking the facilities and arenas that will serve for the event before materializing the official signature of the assignment contract with the Libya Basketball Federation.

The signature ceremony will be held this evening February 4 at 19 hours at Corinthians Hotel in Tripoli with the presence of the NOC President (National Olympic Committee), Dr Mohamed Khadafi and the president of Federation, M. Omar El Barshushi.

At the end of the first working session, the draw is scheduled to be held in June in Tripoli. The exact date will be determined later.

[url="http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=4313"]http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.p...re=actu&id=4313[/url]
Quote:Rwanda – ANC 2009: National team hits by injuries

Rwanda Basketball Federation (FERWABA) was left crestfallen last week after learning that two of eight foreign based players who have been summoned to the national team ahead of the upcoming Africa-Zone 5 basketball championship qualifiers have picked up injuries.

Jonas Kayitankora and Thierry Kayitaba who play their basketball in Canada recently sustained injuries and have ruled themselves out of the competition.

"We have learnt that they have picked up injuries and will not make the trip to Kigali," Ferwaba's Secretary General Jean Lucien Mugabo disappointedly said.

However, Mugabo's frown face did not last after learning that Hamza Ruhezamihigo (Canada) and Robert Stanley Thomson (Romania) (pic), two of Rwanda's most outstanding players in the 2007 Afro-basket qualifiers had confirmed their presence.

"It is good news that Hamza and Thomson are coming. It is a big boost to the team," he continued.

Other summoned foreign based players include Eric Kaijuka and Wilfred Nyandwi from USA, Manix Aurianthal (Canada) and Mathieu Miller (Europe).

Already, a 16-man provisional team comprising of local-based players is undergoing daily training sessions at Amahoro indoor stadium under the guidance of Kavedzija Veceslav.

Rwanda is desperate to repeat their 2007 heroics when they finished second to Egypt in the qualifiers thereby earning a ticket to the Afro-basket competition which was staged in Angola.

It was the first time for this East African country to compete in the tournament which is considered to be the most lucrative and celebrated basketball tournament on the African continent.

The qualifiers, to be staged at Kigali's newly refurbished Amahoro indoor stadium are expected to attract Egypt, Kenya, Ethiopia, Burundi, Uganda and Tanzania among others.

[url="http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=4323"]http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.p...re=actu&id=4323[/url]
Quote:Zecevic announce 16 players for Training Camp

The new Serbian head coach of the Egyptian national team Zeljko Zecevic - 48 years - announced 16 players to join the training camp which will start on 11 till 20 February , Zecevic informed Eurobasket.com reporter that he had to choose 12 players by 18 February to fly to Rwanda 21 Feb. where the qualification round of Zone 5 of the African championship will be held from 23Feb. till 2 March.

The players Joining the training camp:

1 Ramy Gunady Point Guard 185cm '81 Gezira

2 Wael Badr Point Guard 192cm '78 Zamalek

3 Mohannad El-Sabbagh Point Guard 180cm '87 Al Ettihad

4 Mohamed Hosny Point Guard 182cm '86 Al Ahly

5 Sheriff Gunady Guard 183cm '79 Gezira

6 Tamer Mostafa Guard 187cm '82 Army Team

7 Haitham Said Guard 190cm '75 Zamalek

8 Mostafa Meshaal Small Forward 197cm '86 Gezira

9 Haitham El Saharty Small Forward 195cm '85 Zamalek

10 Hussainy Samir Forward 193cm '76 Zamalek

11 Ibrahim Ramy Power Forward 201cm '87 Al Ettihad

12 Haitham Kamel Power Forward 203cm '88 Al Ettihad

13 Mostafa Shaawat Center 205cm '87 Al Ahly

14 Mohamed Khorshed Center 205cm '85 Sporting

15 Tarek El-Ghannam Center 208cm '79 Al Ahly

16 Mohammed Adly Center 212cm '87 Al Ahly

Medium age of the players is 25,0 year

Medium hight of the players is 194,9 cm

Mr. Zecevic had a very good resume he was Head coach of team playing in Italian league series B, C and assistant head coach to Udine club in Series A and Head of scouting office also.

[url="http://www.africabasket.com/Egypt/basketball.asp?NewsID=152334"]http://www.africabasket.com/Egypt/basketba...p?NewsID=152334[/url]
Quote:ANG – ANC 2009: Veteran players may represent Angola at Afrobasket 2009 in Libya

Luanda - Point guard Miguel Lutonda and shooting guard Carlos Almeida may represent Angola at the 25th edition of Africa Nations Championship for men (Afrobasket 2009) to be played from 5th to 15th August in Libya, an official source has announced.

The deputy chairperson of the Angolan Basketball Federation (FACool, Jean Jacques da Conceição, told ANGOP during an interview that the institution will meet with the two players in order to persuade them to play for the team.

"They are important players and are in conditions to play for the national team. We will speak with them, but if they insist in their position of retiring, we will respect it because they are two players who gave their best for the national squad", said Jean Jacques da Conceição.

Carlos Almeida told ANGOP, during the Olympic Games in China, that he would retire from the national squad after that competition.

On his turn, Miguel Lutonda left the team during the Afrobasket 2007
held in Angola, and did not respond positively to the summoning to participate at the 2008 Olympic Games.

Angola is the defending Africa Champion for men and already has nine titles.

[url="http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=4338"]http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.p...re=actu&id=4338[/url]

If Lutonda returns it could be more counterproductive than anything. I'm even sceptic about Almeida's comeback, it's time for new players to step up.
Quote:RWANDA – ANC 2009 : Hamza jets in, boosts national team for zone 5 qualifiers

Rwanda’s basketball Federation (FERWABA) is counting on Hamza Ruhezamihigo to help the national team make an impact at the Africa-Zone V basketball Championship qualifiers slated for February 23 – March 1 in Kigali.

Ruhezamihigo, who plays for Concordia in Canada jetted in last Saturday and immediately linked up with the 16-man provisional team at Amahoro Indoor Stadium; the venue for the qualifiers.

“Having him here is a big boost to the team. His potential can’t be questioned. He is very talented and his experience adds plenty to the team,” Ferwaba’s technical advisor Innocent Karuhije said yesterday.

After Manix Aurianthal (Canada) pulling out of the qualifiers, Ferwaba is also counting on Robert Thomson (Romania) and Wilfred Nyandwi (USA) to further boost the team’s chances in the zonal event.

“We are really counting on Thomson and Nyandwi because Manix is not coming,” Karuhije continued.

Ruhezamihigo became a crowd favourite during the 2007 Africa Championship qualifiers which were staged in Kigali.

The shooting guard played a pivotal role in helping Rwanda qualify for her first ever Afro-basket competition. After his impressive performances, he was voted as the tournament’s Most Valuable Player (MVP).

Just like in 2007, this year’s edition pits Rwanda will teams from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt and Burundi.

After the week-long event, the winner will automatically qualify for this year’s Afrobasket to be played from 5th to 15th august in Libya. The Afro-basket competition is the most coveted basketball event in Africa.

[url="http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=4363"]http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.p...re=actu&id=4363[/url]
Quote:Here is the Roster of the Rwandan National team that participated in the conclude zonal qualifers for the African Championships:

Mathieu Miller (England)

Mike Buzangu (APR)

Bertrand Muhire (193-F-84)

Karim Nkusi (195-F-83)

Gaylord Ndugu (194-F-85)

Aboubakar Barame (181-G-84)

Kami Kabange (APR)

Rob Thomson (208-C-82, college: Fairfield)

Bunene Gedeka Valery Kajeguhakwa (191-G-82)

Hamza Ruhezamihigo (191-G-85)

Amandin Rutayisire

Serge Kabangu (APR)

[url="http://basket-in-africa.blogspot.com/2009/03/rwanda-national-team-2009.html"]http://basket-in-africa.blogspot.com/2009/...-team-2009.html[/url]
Quote:SEN – Ndong: ‘It would be sad for my career if we didn’t win FIBA Africa Championship’

MALAGA (FIBA Africa Championship) - There is almost always a big smile draped across the face of Senegal’s Boniface Ndong.

The 31-year-old is, in general, a happy person.

Then there is the success that he continues to enjoy as a 2.12m center with Unicaja Malaga. Ndong is averaging almost nine points and five rebounds per game in the ACB.

The Most Valuable Player of the 2005 FIBA Africa Championship, Ndong has played at the highest level in the game, in the NBA with the Los Angeles Clippers and in the Euroleague with Malaga.

He could end up playing for Senegal again, but organizational issues continue to dog the federation and that may prevent them from getting their big man on board for this summer when the country goes for gold at the AfroBasket in Libya.

He gave this interview to Jeff Taylor for FIBA.com.

FIBA: Boniface, let’s wind the clock back and say congratulations once again on the MVP honour back in 2005 at the FIBA Africa Championship when Senegal finished runner-up to Angola.

Boniface Ndong: Thank you very much. First of all, it was an honour me playing for my team, for my country, and to be voted MVP was very special. It was something that hadn’t happened to a Senegalese player since 1997. It was good. We did great, qualified for the (2006 FIBA) World Championship.

FIBA: What is it about Senegal and its production line of quality basketball players?

Boniface Ndong: (Laughing) First of all, we’re all tall. But basketball had a lot of tradition in Senegal and a lot of kids got into basketball because there are players they look up to who went to the United States and guys who play over here in Europe. So basketball has a lot of tradition that goes back about 30 years and that’s why young people are involved, besides being tall.

FIBA: Can we expect to see you play for Senegal again, maybe at this year’s FIBA Africa Championship in Libya (August 5-15), or is your national team career over?

Boniface Ndong: No, it’s not over. I’ve been speaking to people and spoke to the coach recently and the general manager when we played against Olympiacos here and we still talked about coming back because I want to give it a last shot, winning the African Championship. It would be sad for my career if we didn’t win it. So I hope that first of all, our federation and our government will first do something to get us a coach. I’ve been talking a lot to other players and we’re all ready to come but we always have the same problem, organizational problem. But if these things are met, I’ll be there.

FIBA: Is that what kept you from playing at the FIBA World Championship in 2006, organizational problems?

Boniface Ndong: Yes it was organizational problems. They (Senegal Basketball Federation) can never have a set plan, but we (players) have to plan for our summer. They always change their plans at the last minute. I need to have set plans as I have other things to do. I have workouts to do, take care of my career, take care of my family. There are a lot of things to do. I need a plan before so I can set the timing. I can’t plan a vacation with my family and then change it at the last minute. This is not acceptable if you want something. They never change. I’m still hoping they change because I really want to go and I know that other players want to go. I think even our (former) coach is willing to negotiate with the federation and not take all the money that he is owed, so we will see.

FIBA: Thanks Boniface. We hope everything works out with Senegal and get to see you in Libya and good luck with the rest of the season.

Boniface Ndong: Thank you very much.

[url="http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/fibaEven/fibaAfriCham/p/newsid/29591/arti.html"]http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/late...29591/arti.html[/url]
Mozambique will be in Afrobasket:

Quote:Zone 6 Nations Cup : Mozambique won the Cup and book the zonal Ticket for the continental show

The men team of Mozambique won last week end the Zone 6 Nations Cup and qualified for the 25th Africa Nations Championship after finishing first at the zone 6 qualifiers played in Maputo, Mozambique.

In the last game played on Saturday, Mozambique beat South Africa 81 – 67 and despite losing the first game 68 – 70.

Mozambique took the first place with 7 points (3 victories and 1 defeat) followed by South Africa with 7 points also (3 victories and 1 defeat) while Zimbabwe ended at the bottom place (third) with 4 points (4 defeats).

Mozambique will represent the zone 6 alongside Angola (the defending champion) at the 25th edition of Africa Nations Championship for men to be held from 05th to 15th August 2009 in Libya.

[url="http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.php?titre=actu&id=4546"]http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_actu.p...re=actu&id=4546[/url]
via basketballfollowers.com

Quote:Luanda — The Angolan national senior males basketball team will be gathered this Wednesday at 5 p.m, in Luanda's Cidadela pavilion, to start the preparation of the African title defence.Angola

The Angolan squad, who are coached by the Portuguese Luís Magalhães, in replacement of Alberto de Carvalho "Ginguba", will participate in the African Basketball Cup of Nations dubbed "Afrobasket2009" to take place in Libya, on 5-15 August.

Meanwhile, the first phase of the works will happen in Angola, in the provinces of Huíla, Cabinda and Benguela and the second phase will be in Europe with the participation of the Angolan national team in an international tournament in Portugal with the national squads of Brazil, Finland and Portugal.

Angola are nine times African champions. The competition which is going to take place in Libya will qualify the first three positioned teams to the World Cup 2010 in Turkey.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FIBA Americas Championship 2009 Black Urum 2 3,304 Aug 31, 2009, 8:11 pm
Last Post: Black Urum
  U20 European Championship 2009 TalkBasket 11 7,262 Jul 28, 2009, 3:38 pm
Last Post: rikhardur
  U19 World Championship 2009 rikhardur 6 5,378 Jul 4, 2009, 12:09 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  Universiade Belgrade 2009 TalkBasket 0 2,343 Jul 3, 2009, 8:27 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  16th Mediterranean Games (2009) Black Urum 3 3,850 Jul 2, 2009, 3:56 pm