Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any teams with a $40/50 million euro budget?
(no euro key on my keyboard)

So over the past few days, the NBA's 2 biggest stars both said they would go to Europe. Kobe said he'd play for any team that payed him 40 million dollars, however many euros that is. And LeBron said he'd go over there in 2010 if he got 50 mill.

So are there any teams that could pay that type of money?
All these articles are pure speculation if you ask me. Although there is such possibility in theory. However I believe that any team that can offer big contract would rather pick less expensive player who can play at similar level. The budgets of the clubs in Europe are growing every year. Of course top teams can spend much more than the others. I think CSKA Moscow, Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, Barca or Real Madrid could have a possibility to offer such contract. Though they would have to prepare for that in advance most likely.

Such a huge signing would certainly bring more investors to the club. They could earn more from TV revenue as I am sure many people in USA would be interested in watching their favourite players. Euroleague games are already broadcasted in USA so if you add Kobe or LeBron it could be successful.

But as I said all these talks were encouraged by the move of Josh Childress to Olympiacos. You could even notice that every article in American media mentions Olympiacos like it's the only team in Europe Smile

For us, fans it's fun to speculate about such moves. You never knwo what's gonna happen but I doubt that we will see these players in Europe.

40 million dollars is around 26 million euros. Here's online converter http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/conver...it=Convert
Yeah I noticed that, too, every report I've heard mentioned Oly.

I don't think it will happen either, but it could. If it did that'd be a big hit to the NBA, and it'd help EL a lot. I know I'd probably watch the games.
If i was playing in NBA I'd not leave for even 100 milion euro per month
I'd leave for anything better than my current contract, the slightest bit.

For one, I like the way Europeans play. And two, I've never even been outside the midwest(like the middle of the USA, around Michigan), so I'd like experiencing a different part of the world too.
Here's what CSKA Moscow general manager said in response to these rumours: "I don't know how to comment this. Of course the club made no offers to LeBron James. It's common to plan your squad for two years in the future in Europe. Moreover, Trajan Langdon and Terence Morris will have contracts in 2010 that's why we couldn't register LeBron for Russian league because he would be already the 3rd American on the team. We would invite James if he gets Azerbaijani citizenship"

Speaking about possible move of one of those stars to Europe, it would be interesting to see how they would put their ego's behind the team. In NBA they are kept on the court despite anything and can shoot ridicilous number of times. Team basketball is the most important in Europe. Also the defence would not allow that. So they would be scoring around 20-25 points per game at best if we speak about Euroleague.

The main reason why these moves would be good is the promotion of European basketball.
I was thinking that to.

LeBron is actually considered by most to be a team player, he does pass it quite a bit, but some other players aren't like that, so I dunno what would happen to them.
Which is the team with the lowest budget in the NBA, at the moment guys ? Thanks in advance... Smile
Here ya go:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
Olympiacos current budget is 35.000.000 EUROS aka 52.664.523 USD. So Olympiakos is above Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Clippers, 76ers and Warriors. Impressive! Thanks Straight Faced... Smile
Quote:Olympiacos current budget is 35.000.000 EUROS aka 52.664.523 USD. So Olympiakos is above Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Clippers, 76ers and Warriors. Impressive! Thanks Straight Faced... Smile

Do you also think that Olympiacos is a better team then these NBA teams ?

By the way, this comparison is totally wrong. NBA Team budget includes ONLY Player salaries, while Olympiacos (and other european teams budget) include salaries of everybody in the team (coach, management, water boy, towel boy), travel expenses (hotel, flights etc), rentals (arena, training equipment) etc.....
Quote:Do you also think that Olympiacos is a better team then these NBA teams ?

By the way, this comparison is totally wrong. NBA Team budget includes ONLY Player salaries, while Olympiacos (and other european teams budget) include salaries of everybody in the team (coach, management, water boy, towel boy), travel expenses (hotel, flights etc), rentals (arena, training equipment) etc.....

Better team ? We don't know that, and we will probably never learn it. Olympiacos would be a very easy victim in USA, with the NBA basketball rules, but in Europe, things would be different. Anyway...

As for the budget thing, I know that NBA teams includes only player salaries, but with this "comparison", I stated in some way that, it's more than obvious, that the last years, European Basketball is rising, and I bet someday, will manage to equivalent NBA. Smile
Quote:Olympiacos current budget is 35.000.000 EUROS aka 52.664.523 USD. So Olympiakos is above Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats, Grizzlies, Clippers, 76ers and Warriors. Impressive! Thanks Straight Faced... Smile

Wow.

The bulls just signed Derrick Rose to a big deal too.
Prokom current budget is 12 mln euro.
Budgets are in euros with US dollars in parentheses. US dollars are at 9-28-08 exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.44975 USD

1. Olympiacos Piraeus €48 million ($70 million)

2. CSKA Moscow €38 million ($55 million)

3. Panathinaikos Athens €33 million ($48 million)

4. Khimki Moscow Region €31 million ($45 million)

4. Dynamo Moscow €31 million ($45 million)

6. Real Madrid €30 million ($44 million)

7. FC Barcelona €29 million ($42 million)

8. Maccabi Tel Aviv €25 million ($36 million)

9. Triumph Lyubersty Moscow Region €21 million ($30 million)

9. Lokomotiv Rostov €21 million ($30 million)

9. UNICS Kazan €21 million ($30 million)

10. TAU Vitoria €20 million ($29 million)

I only listed the 11 clubs at €20 million or more ($29 million), but there may be some other clubs in this range as well.
Interesting info Spanoulis_PAO_Fan Thup

Marc Jackson said that quite a few NBA players are considering move to Europe next season. He mentioned Andre Igoudala, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen.
I wonder if Pierce and Allen left, if it'd be back to the 2007 celtics (lost 22 in a row, worst record in the league)
Budgets are in euros with US dollars in parentheses. US dollars are at 9-28-08 exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.44975 USD

1. Olympiacos Piraeus €48 million ($70 million)

2. CSKA Moscow €38 million ($55.5 million)

3. Panathinaikos Athens €33 million ($48 million)

4. Khimki Moscow Region €31 million ($45 million)

4. Dynamo Moscow €31 million ($45 million)

6. Real Madrid €30 million ($44 million)

7. FC Barcelona €29 million ($42 million)

8. Maccabi Tel Aviv €25 million ($36 million)

9. Triumph Lyubersty Moscow Region €21 million ($30 million)

9. Lokomotiv Rostov €21 million ($30 million)

9. UNICS Kazan €21 million ($30 million)

10. TAU Vitoria €20 million ($29 million)

I only listed the 11 clubs at €20 million or more ($29 million), but there may be some other clubs in this range as well.
All I know is that Maccabi's budget isn't anywhere near 29 million USD. More like 18 million.
Quote:All I know is that Maccabi's budget isn't anywhere near 29 million USD. More like 18 million.

They just announced their budget as 25 million euros.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More EuroLeague teams open training camps EuroLeague News 0 314 Aug 26, 2021, 6:18 am
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  This Week: Mid-table teams seek momentum EuroLeague News 0 605 Dec 19, 2020, 5:05 am
  Two All-Decade Teams add up to one great century EuroLeague News 0 776 May 27, 2020, 8:31 am
  Stats Review: Transition teams, efficient scorers EuroLeague News 0 886 Nov 9, 2019, 12:37 pm
  Stats Review: Final Four teams vs. each other EuroLeague News 0 799 May 16, 2019, 10:47 am