Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a European Supercup?
I don't watch football very often, but after watching this year's Supercup final I thought, why doesn't a similar event exist in European basketball? It's not just about copying a model from football, as in domestic leagues there are supercups throughout Europe, but about creating an interesting event comprising the Euroleague and Eurocup (former ULEB Cup) winners. I don't think scheduling a European Supercup would be much of a problem, since it's only one game and such an event would also be a plus in terms of basketball advertising.

What do you guys think?
Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht.
: BASKET-SPOT : - Global Basketball
I'm in favor of...

CSKA vs. Badalona seems good enagh to start the season. Thup
I voted for the first option. But it should be held professionally and advertised well at least for the first couple of years so it gets a good reputation and is taken more or less seriously by the clubs. I think that Supercup should be held 2-4 weeks before Euroleague season starts. So the teams would have played a few games in domestic leagues and would be in some kind of shape.

ULEB should really consider this idea.
I think that this idea is just great. It would be a high-level game and i would recommend that it could be organised to take place in countries that basketball isn't so ''famous'', like England.

It's a great opportunity also for Uleb and mr.Jordie to find more sponsors and also to open the boards of Uleb for more teams, in order to participate in the qualifing rounds of the EuroCup. Thup
Great idea.

I'd like to see the Cup Holder's cup brought back as well.

And who wouldn't want to see the Celtics take on CSKA for the title of world's top team? NBA champ vs Euroleague champ.
Quote:And who wouldn't want to see the Celtics take on CSKA for the title of world's top team? NBA champ vs Euroleague champ.

This could happen next year already if the new World Clubs Championship involves NBA and Euroleague champions. You can see more info here.
Quote:And who wouldn't want to see the Celtics take on CSKA for the title of world's top team? NBA champ vs Euroleague champ.

Quote:This could happen next year already if the new World Clubs Championship involves NBA and Euroleague champions. You can see more info here.

Wow, I had no idea.

I actually believe the NBA would force its best teams to compete. The question is whether they would take the competition seriously and play their best players.
Personally I couldn't care less.

First of all, the lack of a SuperCup already talks for itself. It just isn't practical and is not sustainable. If it was it would have not been abolished some years ago.

Second, basketball is not football, in basketball the best team will win in 8 or 9 out of 10 times. no Eurocup winner can beat the Euroleague champion, especially when it comes to super powers of euro basketball such as CSKA and Panathinaikos.

A nice idea though would be a friendly tournament in countries where basketball is not so popular so it can be advertised. And I'm talking about strong tournaments such as the old Partizan tournaments (anyone remembers those except me?)

Or the 'famous' best of the best tournament 'Lubljana Euroleague Opening Tournament' with the likes of Panathinaikos, TAU, Cibona, Olimpija and other which was won by cibona back in 2001.

Let's face it, basketball is not as popular as football in Europe and all the teams just don't care about results in the pre-season.

Even the football example is bad, I would never waste 90 minutes of my life to watch a Zenit St Peter - Man Utd match. I would for many games such as Man Utd-Man City, Bayern Munich-Dortmund, Milan-Inter, Galata-Fener but never for Zenit-Man Utd.
Respect and thanks for everything:

Alvertis, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius, Radja, Wilkins, Vrankovic, Fotsis, Rebraca, Kattash, Gentile, Koch, Middleton, Kutluay, Rogers, Papadopoulos, Becirovic, Tomasevic, Siskauskas, Pekovic, Lakovic, Vujanic, Chatzivrettas, Maljkovic, Spanoulis and many more to follow in the near future.
[Image: vspa.jpg]

I also couldn't care less, and If to restore a none-existent present feature that once was existed-Bring back the EuroStars game first.
Well I do watch a lot of football, and the Supercup is not watched as much as it was before because there are so many football matches. I'm not that familiar with european basketball, are there a lot of games?
Quote:Well I do watch a lot of football, and the Supercup is not watched as much as it was before because there are so many football matches. I'm not that familiar with european basketball, are there a lot of games?

Teams normally play around 30 or 40 games a season in their domestic leagues and if a team plays in Euroleague there are at least 10 games. If the team reaches the final then it's around 25 games in total.

But if we speak about international games (Euroleague) then the number is not very high.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  31 Masterminds of European Basketball EuroLeague News 0 885 Sep 14, 2020, 1:00 pm
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  Maccabi starlet Avdija is MVP of U20 European Championships EuroLeague News 0 976 Jul 24, 2019, 11:47 pm
Last Post: EuroLeague News
  European Coaches to NBA Kenneth23 8 6,231 May 7, 2018, 6:22 pm
Last Post: TalkBasket
  European highlights Black Urum 37 24,182 May 25, 2012, 2:12 pm
Last Post: stefans
  European Injury Thread 2011/12 Black Urum 10 5,907 Dec 21, 2011, 12:39 pm
Last Post: TeoTheGreek13